Modern Camaro Forums banner

The dreaded P0008 code...

59K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  valoridian 
#1 ·
:(

Had my baby, which I ordered back in early '09 (delivered June '09), at the dealership today. I have 48K on it and the P0008 bank 1 cam sensor code set a check engine light.

First time it set I took it in and they just reset it and changed the oil. The oil wasn't in too bad of shape, but whatever. I have run the Mobil 1 synthetic since I got her and always kept an eye on oil levels. Car did not show a noticeable loss of power and idled smoothly.

3K miles later it set again. Took it back to dealership today for more diagnostics. Diagnosed with a stretched timing chain.

I have read other sites that detail the problems some have had with the 3.6, but did not see much about it affecting the Camaro.

I hope the dealership treats me right and takes care of my baby. They will have it for a week. No matter what, I still LOVE my Camaro!!

#5 ·
I don't think so with the Camaro. I have only seen a handful of reports. Most of those were on the "other" forum.

A quick google search does result in many GM models with variations of the 3.6 that have had timing chain issues in the past. From what I gather they updated chain sometime in '10. Since mine was a pre order in '09, it was prior to the design update.

#6 ·
Got my baby back today. The engine sounds so much quieter. The only thing I hear now is the injectors. Checked my gas mileage on the way home and there was a large improvement.

Here is what was done:
(F)12633451 (Chain) 1
12633452 (Chain) 2
12597417 (Guide) 1
12600461 (Guide) 1
12623513 (Guide) 1
12600462 (Guide) 1
12623514 (Guide) 1
12586859 (Guide) 1
12609263 (Tensioner) 1
12589477 (Gasket) 1
12609261 (Tensioner) 1
12589478 (Gasket) 1
12609259 (Tensioner) 1
12589479 (Gasket) 1
12622550 (Seal) 1
12566429 (Seal) 1
12584040 (Seal) 1
12590958 (Gasket) 1
12607401 (Seal) 1
12378521 (Sealant) 1
12641261 (Seal)

#9 ·
The chains are "made differently" hardened better? I don't know.. but they are different part number than the original. IF you decide you want to keep your vehicle changing your oil by 5000 miles at the latest, if you are using Mobile 1 is the best bet. If you go by your oil life system and you go 7000 or more on a oil change, the oil acutators don't pump the oil as well and it causes the chain to stretch. On the Terrains and Equinox and Buicks they had a recall to reprogram the oil life monitor to a new software, it was suppose to shorten the life span of the oil life system because it was going to long and they decided that is what was causing the actuators not not oil chain properly and thus causing it to stretch more easily. My advise if you use conventional oil, change every 3000 miles mobile 1 no more than 5000. Just my .02

#10 ·
Wow, I've always done all my cars at 5000 miles with conventional ... I thought the Mobil 1was supposed to be a huge extender and the oil indicator seemed to indicate that ... that said I did mine at 5000 and plan to keep that way. But, if this is a problem, why isn't the oil indicator recalibrated to something more realistic?

#12 ·
Zitania,

My brother has a Caddy "CTS" with the same GM engine. There was a recall regarding the chain issue so the dealership changed the computers programing to have oil changes done sooner.

In my newly bought Camaro "RS" I had wondere about the same issue but so far this year GM hasn't issued a recall on my 2013 yet. Anyway in my 08' Impala SS my OLM tells me to change every 6K so using Mobil 1 to protect my motor is a no brainer!:thumbsup:

Mail Clerk

#13 ·
luckily your still under that powertrain warranty. DO you drive the car pretty hard?

#17 ·
I received this code 4/7/2014 and was told that timing chain was borked and possibly the camshaft as well on a 2010 RS with 90k and that it could cost ~$3850.:eek: I was also informed that my powertrain warranty expired 2/25/14.:angry: I contacted chevy and they got in touch with the dealer and agreed to cover the cost - $300. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
Any tips on how you were able to get Chevy and the dealer to help you with covering the cost?

I've tried dealing with GM Customer Assistance to help cover the cost of this repair:
1) The same repair is covered by a recall on other GM vehicles.
2) The car is at 53,000 miles for a part that was warrantied up to 100,000.

They took 3 to 4 weeks to respond to my request for assistance, and eventually called me to say "No" to my request because the car was out of warranty. I know it was out of warranty!! That's the exact reason I called GM Customer Assistance, otherwise I would just take it to the dealer to have it fixed.

I need to go back to Chevy Novato to see if they will help me with the cost of the repair, maybe they will take mercy on me.

#18 ·
T-chains are a pretty common repair at my Cadillac dealership. A couple of the guys can do them in about 2.5-3hrs.

As far as updateing the material used...I have not seen any documentation that states that they have changed the material. The original s-series saturns had issues with premature chain and guide wear on both the DOCH's and SOHC's (more on the DOHC's though). Saturn's fix.... they drilled a very tiny hole on the pressure side of the oil pump cover that sprayed the chain with oil and the problems went away.

The main problem was that when the engine consumed oil the chain did not get the proper lubrication, but when it was full, it was fine.

The same "seems" to be true with the newer v6's...at least in my opinion. (follow me here).

The Saturn Outlooks, Vues and Aura's that we still service... I can remember only a couple that have had timing chains replaced for stretching...and those two where both cases where the customer had performed only 1-2 oil changes in about 30-35k miles (gotta save that money on skipping maintenance right?). All of the saturns that sill come in for service, we put the 3k mile interval stickers in the window since they get convential oil. Most people come back about 4k...but still they have not had timing chains replaced.

Now the cadillacs that get synthetic and get the 5k sticker and the customer come in at about 6-8k miles...those are the ones we have issues with. A lot of times when the come in, they are also low on oil.....the same issue the oil Saturn's had.

Now, just assume that the engines used 1qt of oil every 2Kmiles. On the saturns that come in at 4k miles, they are down 2 qts. On the car that comes in at 6k...its down 3 qts on a 6qts system....at 8k miles, its down 4qts. Its not that the oil is bad, the engines are going to use oil at a given rate. As long as the oil level is maintained, the chains will probably last a very long time...but if it gets to a point where its low enough and the chain is starving for lubrication, the chain will wear faster.

If GM redesigned the engine a little to constantly spray the chains with oil....I wonder if it would help at all.

/end my Yuengling infused speculative rant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.