Modern Camaro Forums banner

2015 Camaro concept in Camaro Performers Magazine

16K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  54inches 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I don't do a lot of posting but I do a lot of reading and listening to everyone's comments. I do a few renderings for Camaro Performers and I thought it was about time to do a speculative 2015 concept based on what we've all heard GM release in interviews and what many of you would like to see. Remember, this is just a concept...it's meant to look a little exaggerated and dramatic like comic book characters. Let 'er rip gang...I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks, Ben

See less See more
#4 ·
The rendering started off as red, then I shifted it to Synergy green, then black until I decided on this intense pearl Hugger orange.

Those are functional vents...that is until the bean counters make them non-functional.

Most of the press release info that's been trickling out says that Chevy knows they've had a lot of success with the current design and so they don't want to risk sales on a "revolutionary" design. It will be more "evolutionary" according to them. The biggest change will be the new, lighter platform and hopefully less massive proportions.

That said, I did a lot of research on what the enthusiasts, owners, critics and blogs have been saying.

I put that all in a great big bowl and stirred the hell out of it....this is what poured out.

Thanks!

#7 ·
I know I'm a legs and @$$ man normally, but that back end is the best thing I've seen since sliced bread! Awesome!

One thing, though. When I first saw it, the front end flashed "Mustang" to me. Not quite sure if it was the headlight shape or the lower fish-mouth grill that reminded me of Shelby's or what. Not bashing your design by any means, because I love it all. Just telling you how my brain reacted (which may be part of the problem). Just curious if anyone else had that happen.

Great job on the rendering, and would love to see the other colors if you want to post them up as well!

#8 ·
One thing, though. When I first saw it, the front end flashed "Mustang" to me. Not quite sure if it was the headlight shape or the lower fish-mouth grill that reminded me of Shelby's or what. Not bashing your design by any means, because I love it all. Just telling you how my brain reacted (which may be part of the problem). Just curious if anyone else had that happen.

Great job on the rendering, and would love to see the other colors if you want to post them up as well!
I thought the exact same thing

#14 ·
That is awesome, I agree some of the others when I say I'd have a hard time not trading in.

#15 ·
Nah, I didn't take it negatively. No worries!:thumbsup:

A lot of the inspiration was also based the what I've been doing to my 5th gen clients cars. The elements that I kept doing over and over for them ended up on this car.

I really like the 5th generation car and it seems a lot of people do as well, judging by sales compared to the Mustang and Challenger. But every time I see one parked next to a 1st gen it just looks so slab-sided and bloated with some areas that are unnecessarily blocky and unrefined. Styling trends are already moving away from this raw, edgy stuff and I'm pretty confident that literal translations of retro stuff has run it's course.

However, Chevy has already said that they don't want to ruin what they have accomplished but there are improvements that can be made, especially the size and weight. They specifically used the word "evolutionary" not "revolutionary" when it comes to styling the new Camaro. With a lighter car that may end up having a little 4 banger, now the car is potentially affordable to a younger enthusiast crowd as well. That may help them to gain long term brand loyalty from NEW customers that have historically bypassed other boring econobox GM cars.

So in my design, basically, I shrunk it down to ATS platform size; retained the general look of the iconic muscle car greenhouse; bulged out the fenders (not quite a wide-body); added more sculpting and creases along the side to make it appear more slender; made the quarter gills functional brake cooling ports; softened up the chiseled rear and integrated some modern LED halo tail lights into a single unit (that could be swapped out for something retro by the aftermarket); sculpted blinkers into the side mirror to thin them out a little; ditched the lame mail slot, uninspired lower valence and fisher price grill and headlights for a much more aggressive and modern front fascia with larger intakes. I also added my interpretation of what a functional "ice cube" tray heat-extractor hood would be. And there's no way I wasn't going to let this leave my drawing board without some LED headlights for an RS look. The technology is already there and this is the direction the industry is headed, why not capitalize on it on an iconic light configuration that would be a perfect application?

I tried to wear as many hats as I could and think about this design from various angles. I doubt this is what it'll look like, I was just doing this for fun to be honest. Camaro Performers magazine asks me to submit stuff all the time, so I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring with this.

Thanks for all the comments!
Ben

#20 ·
It looks like a cartoonish 5th gen. Not original at all.

How about a modern/retro 2nd gen.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.