Best 80's cars? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

Go Back   ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts > Previous Generation F-Body > 3rd Generation F-Body
Register Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3rd Generation F-Body 1982-1992 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

ModernCamaro.com is the premier Chevrolet Camaro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 01:08 AM   #1

firechicken is on a distinguished road
Best 80's cars?

In your opinion, what is the best 80's car ever made? how about a couple runners up? and list why they didnt make the number one spot.

Here are the requirements to make the list
Must be from 1980-1989
Must be american
Must be a mass production car, No super limited editions that they only made a hadfull of.

Try to keep out cars like the 1980 camaro or trans am because they are second gen car and dont really belong on the list, same with the c3 corvettes etc.

Here are some cars to pick from....Ill add more to the list as you guys list them.

Ford Mustang GT
Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
Chevrolet Iroc Camaro
Pontiac Formula Firebird
Pontiac Trans am GTA
Buick GNX
Chevrolet El Camino SS
Ford Mustang Notchback
Oldsmobile 442

Ford Thunderbird SC
Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo
Merkur xr4ti
DMC Delorian
mercury capri
Chevrolet Corvette
Pontiac Fiero GT
Buick Regal T type
Dodge Daytona Turbo II
Dodge Shelby GLHS 6.5 14.8

Soooo my top 3 are.....
#3 1988 Pontiac Fiero

I really struggled to pick a #3, but Ive owned a fiero and have to say, they are very fun cars. I believe this car to be one of the best looking cars on the list. Sure its performance numbers were down, stock I think it ran mid 15's. This car is a completely different car from the original fiero that had fire problems and was recalled. the suspension of the 88 was designed by lotus ( to give you a better idea).

#2 1989 Trans am GTA

Ok, I did not pick this car because I have one, I have one because its one
of my favorite cars of all time. The only reason it didnt make #1 is the transmission. Autos are ok, but would it really of been that hard for them to make a 5 speed to handle the massive 245hp of the tpi 350? But back to the positive things, they stand out from the standard t/a's, the gold wheels are a big plus, and the small differences like no fender vents, and gold bird are great!
#1 1987 Buick GNX

Despite only coming in automatic, these cars showed that we could still have high performance and meet emissions, also the look of them..I just cant get enough! I almost died when the new fast and furious used one in their movie.

Honerable mentions are...
1989 Turbo trans am
I didnt pick this because I believe a v8 belongs in a trans am...even if its the gnx motor.

Mustang GT
Great performing cars, light, v8, RWD, 5 speed....not the best looking though.

Merkur xr4ti
Known as being the best handeling cars of the 80's it used a turbo 4 cylinder, ran mid 15's and was rwd...kinda ugly, but fun cars.

1988 Monte carlo SS
Why oh why did they have to come with a 305?? I owned an 88, even after headers, intake, and exhaust it was still slower than crap.

Iroc Z
Ive just always been a firebird guy, nothing against the camaro, Its pretty much a different looking firebird anyway.

Last edited by firechicken; 12-02-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Luwinkle will become famous soon enough
You discredited yourself when you said not to include the Trans Am....then included a Trans Am.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
barbarianmotorsports

projectSS is on a distinguished road
nothing beats the buick gnx one of the best in the 80's. runner up i also love the 1989 gta trans am. rear wheel drive shifter in the middle 245 hp. doing donuts all day long.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
You discredited yourself when you said not to include the Trans Am....then included a Trans Am.
No, I said no second gen fbodys. third gen is fine, they just dont really belong in an 80's line up, even though they are technically 80's cars.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

OceanChevy will become famous soon enoughOceanChevy will become famous soon enough
I say the delorean and then the trans am

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

POWERFREAK has a spectacular aura aboutPOWERFREAK has a spectacular aura about
The GNX is the king...hands down. But all the G-bodies were great (malibu, monte, regal, cutlass).

Also always liked the Mustang LX/Notchback...much cooler than the GT.
When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: LSR Intake / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.11 Rear / Hurst Shifter / Perma-grin

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 11-18-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #7

HBZ28 is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys will laugh, but I honestly think the Thirdgen RS Camaro belongs in there. Iroc-z's and GTA and Trans Am's were all cool but they made so many RS's and they were great cars for a lot of people. They lacked a bit in performance, but from what I understand, back in the late 80's when they brought the "RS" name back again, they were hard to keep on the dealer lots. They sold very fast, most of the time at MSRP or near it. A lot of people bash on them, but even an RS Camaro back then was a pretty cool little car. It was a nice car for the money. Just my two cents. They weren't the most wanted Camaro, but they were reasonably priced and were a "backbone" of sorts to keep the F-Body alive. There were a lot of people in the 80's who couldn't afford to shell out the extra cash for an Iroc-z or top end Firebird and an RS Camaro was a good option.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

el ess X will become famous soon enoughel ess X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectSS View Post
nothing beats the buick gnx
When talking performance ONLY. Now ride quality...it sucked bags. Really.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBZ28 View Post
You guys will laugh, but I honestly think the Thirdgen RS Camaro belongs in there. Iroc-z's and GTA and Trans Am's were all cool but they made so many RS's and they were great cars for a lot of people. They lacked a bit in performance, but from what I understand, back in the late 80's when they brought the "RS" name back again, they were hard to keep on the dealer lots. They sold very fast, most of the time at MSRP or near it. A lot of people bash on them, but even an RS Camaro back then was a pretty cool little car. It was a nice car for the money. Just my two cents. They weren't the most wanted Camaro, but they were reasonably priced and were a "backbone" of sorts to keep the F-Body alive. There were a lot of people in the 80's who couldn't afford to shell out the extra cash for an Iroc-z or top end Firebird and an RS Camaro was a good option.
They sold more because they were cheaper, not better.
They sell more v6 mustangs than v8 ones so the v6 mustang is better?
sorry you fail. No Rs on the list.

while were at it, lets add a few more cars by your logic

v6 foxbody
Monte carlo Ls
4cyl "Iron duke" firebird

Last edited by firechicken; 11-18-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

80s_Adam is on a distinguished road
1. 1989 Corvette

This is the only year corvette I will ever own. It has that classic 80s styling, the 80s interior I love so much, but best of all it has a new 6 speed tranny and not that cluncky 4+3 speed frankenstein stick.

2. The Fox Body Mustang ('79-'93)

This is the only Mustang I would ever own, and only 1 of a few fords that would ever sit in my driveway. They have great potential and you can always find these in good condition unlike the fbodies of the same year. I also like the somewhat boring looks of this style mustang compared to the radical styling of a trans am or camaro. Having something that looks like a ford tempo and then you stomp all over those ricer burners in something 25 years old is why this is my 2nd place choice. (3rd-gen fbody styling is amazing, just sometimes I don't need it on my way to work, if you get my idea)

3. Third-Gen Trans Am

I really can't say too much on this after what firechicken said, they are great cars and I do prefer a firebird/ta over a camaro. IMO, the trans am has always been a little bit more sporty and sophisticated over the camaro. A T5 would of been great with a 350 but nothing a swap can't fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsors