Impressions from Camaro Focus Group II - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 Old 05-17-2008, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Thumbs up Impressions from Camaro Focus Group II

Wow!!!

What an experience today was. I am almost beyond words at this point, and it was such an informational overload, that itís going to take my brain a few days to process it all!

As you know already, I am not permitted to talk about specifics about the car, so donít ask questions because I likely wonít be able to answer them. But hereís a general run-down of a few things about todayís focus group experience, along with a few things I am allowed to mention.

The day started off on a good noteÖ as we rolled into the General Motors Milford Proving Grounds on the bus, two Camaro prototypes (which youíve seen in photos all over the internet) followed us in. As the bus was stopped, they passed us by, proceeded to obliterate their tires, continued to accelerate, and within moments were out of view!

So we go into our meeting building, and after a brief session we are greeted by our friends, the 2010 Camaros!

We saw both V6 and V8 models, and Iím happy to report that there are plenty of visual differences between the two. Red, black, and silver were among the car colors represented, and let me tell you, each looked amazing. This only makes my color choice more difficult!

As you also know, a test drive was also part of this focus group. After driving both V8 and V6 cars, I am thoroughly impressed to say the least. This car is going to absolutely amaze you. While my personal preference remains the V8 model, you will not be disappointed by the V6 model in appearance or performance Ė the V6 car will be a total sleeper!

Brett Vivian from the Australia development team was on hand to discuss Camaro development with us. It was very re-assuring to hear the stories of how concerned the development team is with everything, down to the smallest detail. Iím very impressed by the outstanding attention to detail that Camaro has received in its development. Itís quite amazing, and very evident in specific designs such as the feel of the interior materials, and the fact that every little fastener in the interior is hidden.

This car is very solid in structure as well. It utilizes a large one-piece structure encompassing the quarter panels, rockers, and roof rails, and when you realize how much work that is to do, it really is an engineering marvel.

We also saw pictures of the production-intent convertible. The Camaro has the most researched convertible top ever in the history of General Motors. Let me tell you that the efforts have paid off Ė the coupeís lines are maintained with the top up!

We also saw the color palette. The car will be offered in 10 colors beginning right away in the 2010 model year, and the colors were chosen wisely. Although, that also made my choice again more difficult! There will also be a host of accessories available from day one, and I am most impressed by the accessories available.

I really wish I could say more, but we were given a list of things we could talk about, and Iím already pushing the limits. There are black Suburbans ready in staging, and I really donít want to get taken away LOL.

I am simply blown away by this car.
You are all going to LOVE it!

The concept car was quite awesome, but believe me - you ainít seen nothiní yet!

2013 Camaro SS/RS - My 7th Camaro
2008 Cadillac SRX AWD
2010 Malibu LS
Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
Follow ModernCamaro.com on Twitter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 Old 05-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28 View Post

I really wish I could say more, but we were given a list of things we could talk about, and Iím already pushing the limits. There are black Suburbans ready in staging, and I really donít want to get taken away LOL.
Octane,

I pledge all my resources to find you and spirit you away from the black Suburbans!!!

I will anxiously await your processing and wait for additional details ... but my offer above still stands!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #3 of 114 Old 05-17-2008, 04:55 PM

this great news, what about the exhaust did they make them less visable in the rear. oh will it be ls3v8

post #4 of 114 Old 05-17-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28 View Post
I am simply blown away by this car.
Is this a hint???

'02 Z28 For Sale
'10 SS/RS
post #5 of 114 Old 05-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

This sounds great! Now I know you can't say exactly what is what, but I'm sure you can tell us that the headlamps on the cars we have seen on the internet spy photos are NOT production, right? Can you say what size wheels were on the V6 and V8 cars you saw? In the list of ten colors, would one of them be a blue metallic???? What about interior color choices? Will we be able to opt for more than just black or tan???? RS SS Z28...are these optional models??? Am I leaving enough leeway in my questioning???

Bob Lutz: "There's no doubt that a design-driven philosophy is the only one that will work. People who are not sensitive to design, people who don't care about vehicles, people who view a vehicle as an appliance, they just default to Toyota. We will never win that one."
post #6 of 114 Old 05-17-2008, 08:00 PM

Great news...

All this just makes it harder to wait for later on this summer in Indy.
post #7 of 114 Old 05-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Dark Side Moderator

Im still very curious.

I doubt you can tell us that the performance is more or less impressive than a LS2 GTO.

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #8 of 114 Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 PM

You probably won't be able to answer this, but I don't see the harm in asking. Were the cars stick or auto? Great read though. Little things like this keep my hope alive that I'll be able to get one soon. One thing concerns me, though;

Quote:
This car is very solid in structure as well. It utilizes a large one-piece structure encompassing the quarter panels, rockers, and roof rails, and when you realize how much work that is to do, it really is an engineering marvel.
Sounds like that's a bit expensive to do, and won't help the car in terms of pricing.

Last edited by 09SemperSS; 05-17-2008 at 09:35 PM.
post #9 of 114 Old 05-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

Ahhhhhhh, its nice to be married to a focus group member.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #10 of 114 Old 05-17-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Oh trust me, there are alot of things on this car that seem expensive to do, yet it will still be sold at a Chevrolet price.
Competitive with Mustang like they have always said.

I can confirm that the lights on the pre-production cars are NOT the real headlights.

We drove both automatic and manual transmission cars.

2013 Camaro SS/RS - My 7th Camaro
2008 Cadillac SRX AWD
2010 Malibu LS
Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
Follow ModernCamaro.com on Twitter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page