Advice on purchasing a Pre-Owned 5th gen Camaro? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-22-2016, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Question Advice on purchasing a Pre-Owned 5th gen Camaro?

Greetings everyone, I am new here. First off I'd like to briefly say I am not completely into all the technical aspects of cars but the Camaro has been my favorite car since I was a kid.

I currently own a 2002 Camaro base 2d coupe, V6 automatic with t-tops. I bought it in 2009 for $5900 with about 75,000 miles on it and now 7 years later, it is approaching 100,000 and I would like to offload it before having to put big money into small repairs repeatedly.

Having said all that, I've been entertaining the idea of getting a 2010+ Camaro with under 50,000 miles on it and I am looking to spend about $10,000 if that is at all possible. In case geography is a factor in the purchase, I live in south-eastern Michigan. I'd be willing to drive at most an hour or two to go buy a car if I thought the bargain was well worth it.

I know some of you aficionados out there will cringe at this, but, for me the engine isn't really important. Preferably something with the best overall gas mileage and automatic trans is a must for me.

Being so, ignorant I guess you could say, about the technical aspects of a vehicle I also do not know whether my best bet would be to buy from an individual or a dealer. This would be my 3rd pre-owned vehicle purchase, the first two both being from dealers. In doing a little bit of research on these forums here it seems that perhaps a 2012 or 2013 model would be a bit better than 2010 or 2011 because of minor upgrades, but again I really have no idea.

Anyone have any tips on exactly what year, model etc would be the best to look out for, keeping in mind the mileage of course and my price point? Any constructive advice at all would be much appreciated!

(Also, I can post pictures of my current 2002 Camaro if anyone is interested to see it, nothing too special but I *did* get a brand new paint job on it just over a year ago)

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-23-2016, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Pay a Chevy mechanic a few bucks to look it over.

James 1:25 *I don't tolerate fools.* Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift" kiddies... it's a POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic..
post #3 of 13 Old 07-23-2016, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Pay a Chevy mechanic a few bucks to look it over.
Well interestingly enough, my cousin is a mechanic so I have that part covered.

What I'd really like some guidance with is getting to that point.

Like I said above, just trying to find a 2012-2013 Camaro with under 50k miles for about $10k, if that is feasible. I just do not know how to go about it.

Thanks for your response though, appreciate your time.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroNoob View Post
Well interestingly enough, my cousin is a mechanic so I have that part covered.

What I'd really like some guidance with is getting to that point.

Like I said above, just trying to find a 2012-2013 Camaro with under 50k miles for about $10k, if that is feasible. I just do not know how to go about it.

Thanks for your response though, appreciate your time.
As for where to buy from, I would lean toward a reputable dealer or company (Enterprise, CarMax etc). But a private seller with ALL records etc might be OK.

Not trying to be a downer or anything but the 10k prob isn't gonna happen. I did some quick online searches and found 1 at your price but it had 58k on it and it was an LS (lowest of the equipment line). LT models and up are gonna be more expensive.

Get online with places like CarGurus, CarMax, TrueCar, Autotrader, etc and see what is out there in your neck of the woods...

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #5 of 13 Old 07-23-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
As for where to buy from, I would lean toward a reputable dealer or company (Enterprise, CarMax etc). But a private seller with ALL records etc might be OK.

Not trying to be a downer or anything but the 10k prob isn't gonna happen. I did some quick online searches and found 1 at your price but it had 58k on it and it was an LS (lowest of the equipment line). LT models and up are gonna be more expensive.

Get online with places like CarGurus, CarMax, TrueCar, Autotrader, etc and see what is out there in your neck of the woods...

No, you aren't being a downer. I appreciate the input.

And yeah I did search online and I found one that was a 2010 or 2011 for $13,400 but it said it had been in an accident and had a "rebuilt title". Not sure what that even means. It had low miles on it everything but something seems off about it, I dunno. Most of the lower mileage newer models were $15,000+ and that just is way out of my budget at this time. I really do not want to take on a big, long-term car payment at this time as I am on an extremely limited fixed income.

Maybe I need to consider getting something less sporty and more practical for a lower price point; anyone have any alternate ideas to Camaro in that case? Haha
post #6 of 13 Old 07-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

The term "rebuilt title" means the car has been totaled at some point. No one will loan you money on that one. It doesn't take a lot of damage to total a Gen 5 Camaro, but I would steer clear of that one. If it's a Camaro you want, then I would just wait a little longer and get what you want. With the 2017 model coming out soon, some owners will make the jump to Gen 6 during the end of year price breaks. Just my $.02

SW shorty's, Borla ATAK cat back, SLP Blackwing CAI, Diode Dynamics DRL's, Technostalgia LED sequential tail lights. beauty bar.

post #7 of 13 Old 07-24-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbvinla View Post
The term "rebuilt title" means the car has been totaled at some point. No one will loan you money on that one. It doesn't take a lot of damage to total a Gen 5 Camaro, but I would steer clear of that one. If it's a Camaro you want, then I would just wait a little longer and get what you want. With the 2017 model coming out soon, some owners will make the jump to Gen 6 during the end of year price breaks. Just my $.02
Ah ha, that makes a lot of sense! And yeah I was thinking the 5th Gen Camaros might go down a bit with the 6th Gens on their way.

Appreciate the advice, thanks!
post #8 of 13 Old 07-24-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, I'm not sure about the rules to putting up an outside link...

But I found a GM certified pre-owned 2011 LS with 19,000 miles on it for $15,400...

post #9 of 13 Old 07-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Looks good but is it what YOU want, that is what matters.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #10 of 13 Old 07-25-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD621 View Post
Looks good but is it what YOU want, that is what matters.
Well I just went to inquire about it and apparently it is now gone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page