Modern Camaro Forums banner

New to Forum

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Phil_M 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

Finally getting around to joining a forum. My wife and I bought a used 2012 2SS back in May of last year, and now that I'm getting ready to start modifying things a good forum is a must.

Little background: I had a 2009 Sky Redline, and that got me into autocrossing/drag racing, and hooked up with a great group of folks. (Any other former kappaperformance.com folks on here?

That car pissed me off with its overly complicated DI/turbo motor. The water pump failed at 60k miles, which was a common failure and thankfully covered under warranty. Still, since its replacement was fairly involved (it was driven by the timing chain) I opted to sell the car then and not worry about replacing it at 120k when the warranty was gone. The pendulum swung completely the other way, and I ended up getting an 05 Silverado with the LM7 motor. That got me started on LS engines, and when my wife and I started shopping for another sports car a LS motor was a requirement. Yes, some engines may have newer/"better" tech, but there's a lot to be said for simplicity. Something that was definitely lacking with the LNF in the Saturn.

To cut a long story short, we just got the car back on the road after hitting a deer last year. Prior to that I'd been debating if I wanted to keep the Camaro stock and get another car to be a project, or just tear into the Camaro...well now that it's got an accident in its history I don't feel bad about making a project out of it.

Planned upgrades for this year will be pretty light, I work full time/go to school part time, so that cuts into the performance budget. Goal is to get HP Tuners and a wideband O2 gauge before the year is out to support future mods. Down the road I have plans for headers and a cam, breaks, probably new shocks/swaybars/springs as well. Going to stick NA, working to build a car that'll see the drag strip mostly, but will still see some autocross work from time to time.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks!

And I forgot to mention it, but when we bought the car it already had a K&N instake, along with a Flowmaster Outlaw catback exhaust.

#6 · (Edited)
If you're doing drags and autocross both, you'll want an adjustable suspension. Drag and autocross have very different requirements.
I suggest speaking with one of our GOOD vendors on here. Read around, and you'll figure out who the best are and the one who gust sells crap.

#7 ·
That's something on the list, but further down the road. The Camaro gets daily driven still, so I don't want to lower it...yet. Though I'm sure some shocks/springs keep a decent ride height.

Of course it all depends on how much I want to tailor the car to drag or autocross. May just stay in the "middle" and accept the compromise.

The biggest problem I've found drag racing so far is definitely the stock tires...but I'll only jump over to drag radials after I've got a Mcleod clutch on standby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.