Modern Camaro Forums banner

TR6060 Grinding in Second When Cold

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Nancygrl 
#1 ·
Like the title says lol. The second gear syncro seems to be hit or miss before the transmission has come up to temp. Basic googling shows this is a pretty common problem for this transmission. My question is, has anyone on here solved this issue, and if so, what did you do?

Typically I just shift 1-3 till the trans warms up, but it'd be nice to have second sooner...

And yes, double clutching works, but I want a "normal" fix...

#2 ·
How many miles, and have you checked/changed the fluid?

#3 ·
Just over 14k miles. Only does it when cold, and by cold I mean under about 70/80 degrees or so. No, I haven't checked the fluid yet, though none of the other gears have any issues. Supposedly a dedicated clutch reservoir has helped some folks, and has the advantage of isolating the clutch from the brake system. Others recommend a different trans fluid.

I'm planning on getting the dedicated reservoir/replacing the trans fluid, but in the meantime I was curious if anyone on here had any experience with this issue.

#4 ·
Heck...I remember my '96 TransAm being that way in 2nd gear when cold. My 2011 Camaro SS also did it as well. Adding the separate reservoir for the clutch helped and I also changed out my transmission fluid at 8k miles to Amsoil and that seemed to make the biggest difference in shifting thru all the gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.