Modern Camaro Forums banner

Have you used wider tires on stock 20" wheels on your 5thGen?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Nancygrl 
#1 ·
If so, what size did you go with, front and rear, and what did you experience?
Cornering
Ride quality
Overall traction
Overall Handling
MPG (like it really matters... :D)

#2 ·
Bueller.....Bueller....

#3 · (Edited)
On the stock 20 inch wheels.... No....... while there are other sizes that are very close and will fit and still look ok....But to go too wide with tires on the stock wheels, while they could fit but may look odd and not perform right as the sidewall would bulge and flex more than it should since they'd be meant for wider wheels. But then I guess it depends on how wide you're talking about.

I have always liked the look of wider wheels and tires on my muscle cars, and feel it's best to get both so everything will fit all nice-nice. So, when I had the 2011 and 2015 SS's, I had gone to semi-custom wider wheels (Front 20x10...Rear 20x11) with the correct offsets so there would be nothing sticking out. And, to accommodate the wider wheels I had got wider size tires. They were all-season, high mileage Continental DWS 275/40/20 up front and 315/35/20 rear. These sizes have the same outside diameter as the stock 245/275 setup of 28.7 inches. So there's no worry about the speedo being off or fitment.
With these being all-season tires I was driving year round (except during snow events). I grew up driving in snow having lived in the Northeast so I could, and the car and tires could handle it, but because the peeps down here in NC don't know how to drive in winter weather, it was better to keep it home and drive the Tahoe :). Oh, btw a little while ago, Continental changed the tire's name to Extreme Contact DWS 06.

so to your concerns/questions: but based on non-stock wheel/tire combo
Cornering...........was better as there was more rubber contacting the road
Ride quality........felt no different but on certain road surfaces they were a wee bit louder because they are high mileage tires.
Overall traction.....much better especially in crappy weather and could drive in cold temps.
Overall Handling....same or better than the oem Pirelli's, but then I wasn't taking the car to the track so wasn't pushing the limits like some people do by going to road course or dragstrip.
MPG.....no difference. Tires and wheels weighed same as stock. I made sure wheel/tire combo would not add any more weight than the stock setup.

If you want to go wider tires it's best to get the right wheels for correct fitment etc....but this is just my humble opinion ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.