I replaced my factory amp - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Electronics & Audio Stereo Components | Lighting | Radars | Alarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I replaced my factory amp

First let me say that Steve at Subthump ROCKS!!!! All I did was buy his harness kit and mounting board, a little 8 ga wire and a fuse holder, a couple of hours in the garage and WOW. I have never heard a sound system that good in a car. There is nothing wrong with the BA speakers when they are hooked to a decent amp. I have to turn the gain down a little so I don't go deaf.
I went with the amp that Steve recomends, a JL XD400/4. I found it on Ebay for $300 shipped. I have to tidy up some of the wires yet and snap some pics. I can do a little diy if anyone is interested. Steve already has a lot of info on that orher Camaro site (5).

2SS/RS L99 A6, RotoFab CAI, Kooks LT headers w/High Flow cats, Borla CAT back, Heritage grill, SmartMirror, ABL lighting, drilled and slotted rotors w/Hawk pads, 400 watt amp.

Life is too short to drive an ugly car.
I bought mine from Camaro Scotty!

Last edited by dconradt; 04-09-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dconradt View Post
First let me say that Steve at Subthump ROCKS!!!! All I did was buy his harness kit and mounting board, a little 8 ga wire and a fuse holder, a couple of hours in the garage and WOW. I have never heard a sound system that good in a car. There is nothing wrong with the BA speakers when they are hooked to a decent amp. I have to turn the gain down a little so I don't go deaf.
I went with the amp that Steve recomends, a JL XD400/4. I found it on Ebay for $300 shipped. I have to tidy up some of the wires yet and snap some pics. I can do a little diy if anyone is interested. Steve already has a lot of info on that orher Camaro site (5).
Nice, Yeah a DIY would be Great!!!! Look forward to pics, Thanks for Sharing!!!

Retired US Air Force & Loving Life!!!
2012 Corvette "Centennial Edition" Coupe
2012 Grand Sport 3LT
post #3 of 20 Old 04-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Yes that would be awesome

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.

post #4 of 20 Old 04-09-2011, 10:28 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Sounds like a nice setup!
I'm a big fan of JL amps too.

2013 Camaro SS/RS - My 7th Camaro
2008 Cadillac SRX AWD
2010 Malibu LS
Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
Follow ModernCamaro.com on Twitter!
post #5 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I did some touchup work this weekend and snaped a few more pics. I found out that this amp is too powerful for the stock speakers, if you set the gain too high. I blew one of the rear 6 x 9s and so I am shopping for new speakers. Any suggustions? I am thinking I like a pair of Kicker DS6930 for $75 shipped from SonicElectronics.com.

2SS/RS L99 A6, RotoFab CAI, Kooks LT headers w/High Flow cats, Borla CAT back, Heritage grill, SmartMirror, ABL lighting, drilled and slotted rotors w/Hawk pads, 400 watt amp.

post #6 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 AM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Your car keeps getting better and better!

Check out crutchfield.com for some high power speaker options -

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #7 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

DIY Factory amp replacement

I started this project by reading everything Steve from Subthump had written on C5. It took him many months and what he came up with was a complete wire harness kit and a mounting kit. If you go this route here is what you will need.

Amp: JL HD 400/4 Cost $400 on Ebay.
5G-FARK wiring kit Cost $99 Subthump.
Amp mount kit Cost $12 Subthump.
Wire, 6 ft of red and 4 ft of black 8 gage min. w/ 2 ring terminal ends. (I used 6 gage)
Fuse holder for 40 amp fuse. Cost $13 or less (I went to a car stereo store)
2 RCA shielded patch cables, male on both ends. 1 ft if you can find them that short.

I bought the amp that Steve recommended. There arenít very many that will fit in the same space as the factory amp without major modifications.

I will skip over some of the details that are covered in Steveís installation instructions that you get with the wiring kit and focus mainly on the power supply part.

First letís find the amp. It is on the back wall of the trunk on the driverís side. Take everything out of the trunk down to the battery. I decided to remove the rear trunk panel because I will have to do it for future mods and I wanted to see how hard it is.

If you donít have a set of plastic trim removal tools, go buy one. Or take a metal pry bar and wrap it with tape.

Unscrew the 6 cargo tie down lugs.
Starting at the ends, roll off the weather striping. When you get to the little flat spots, (pic 1) get the pry bar under the panel and lift. You will hear the clips pop out. Thatís it.
I replaced my factory amp-pic1.jpg

Pic 4 shows the panel removed and you can see where the clips are located.

I replaced my factory amp-pic4.jpg

Next is the molded side carpet section. I didnít take it out completely. You only have to remove 2 fasteners then you can fold it forward and use something heavy to hold it out of the way. The one on the floor screws off and the one on the top is one of those tree fasteners that you end up cutting off. I didnít bother replacing it, yet. (pics 2 & 3)

I replaced my factory amp-pic2.jpg

I replaced my factory amp-pic3.jpg

So there it is. One nut and 3 wire plugs and it is out.

I replaced my factory amp-pic5.jpg

Now follow the instructions for the wiring kit and wire the outputs, the trigger wire and the power. You should also plug in the RCA inputs.You want to have all the wires in the amp BEFORE you mount it because it is tight in there and you cannot see the bottom of the amp once it is mounted. Both the X2 and the X3 plugs are marked with front/rear, L/R channels. Channel 1 is LR, 2 is RR, 3 is LF and 4 is RF. I put a small dab of solder on each of the wires so they clamp better.

I replaced my factory amp-newamp.jpg

Tip: Mount the amp as high and to the left (inboard) as you can. All of this wiring and mounting can be done on the bench.

When you try to mount the new amp, you will probably find some interference from a large bead of chalk. (pic 6) Take a razor knife and cut away about ĺ ď or so and scrap it out with a screw driver.

I replaced my factory amp-pic6.jpg

The instruction for the amp say to find a good ground so I thought the easiest way to do that would be to go back to the battery.

On my first try I ran the wires as directly as I could. Then I tried to put the trunk back together. The big foam hat would not sit down. So pic 7 and pic 9 shows a route that will not interfere with the foam hat. Pic 8 shows the foam in place.

I replaced my factory amp-pic7.jpg

I replaced my factory amp-pic9.jpg

I replaced my factory amp-pic8.jpg

The plastic cover that covers the positive battery terminal needs a small notch carved into the side so the power line can be mounted. I just used a side cutter. (pic 10) This picture also shows where I mounted the fuse holder.

I replaced my factory amp-pic10.jpg

This amp came with the input sensitivity (gain) all the way down. Like Steve says you don't need much at all.

Hope this helps. Any questions?

post #8 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 PM

Looks great; how long was the ground? I try to keep mine under 18" long. Otherwise Looks great!

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like you have a Good thing going for you.

I'm a proud JL owner myself in two other vehicles I own.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Thanks for the write up, you sold me for sure!

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page