2016 Camaro Revealed - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-16-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

2016 Camaro Revealed

Quote:
The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro just debuted in Detroit during a special event at Belle Isle.

This is an all-new Camaro that heralds the nameplate’s sixth generation. It’s a new car from the ground-up based on the same Alpha platform as the Cadillac ATS and CTS built at GM’s Lansing assembly plant. By basing the new muscle car on that platform, it sheds up to 200 lbs and is significantly stiffer than the outgoing model.

Production of the current Camaro in Oshawa, Canada, will end later this year, likely in November. The new model boasts a long list of mechanical enhancements that will make it a significantly more capable product.

Like the Mustang, the new Camaro will be available with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Unlike that car, the boosted four-banger is going to serve as the base powertrain, followed by the V6 as a mid-range option capped off with the V8-powered SS.

The four-cylinder model makes 275 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque while the mid-range V6 offers 335 HP, 284 lb-ft. Of course that leaves one engine: the new 6.2-liter V8 that is a close relative to the motor powering the C7 Corvette. And power? It makes 455 hp and 455 lb-ft of torque.

All variants of the new Camaro will be available with either a six-speed manual transmission or an eight-speed automatic. Like the new Corvette, the manual offers automatic rev matching downshifts.

Both the V6 and V8 models come standard with a variable exhaust that has a hushed “stealth” mode accessible via the snow and ice drive mode. When courtesy doesn’t matter as much, there’s also a setting that bypasses the mufflers entirely to increase engine performance.

On top of that, the car will also offer a variety of drive modes. All versions of them will come with a snow and ice mode, a normal mode and a sport mode, but the SS will also offer a “track” setting.

SS models also come standard with Brembo brakes and the same magnetic ride suspension that gives the supercharged ZL1 from the fifth generation respectable handling chops despite its gut-busting curb weight. The car uses a new multi-link MacPherson strut front suspension that Chevrolet says will offer more precise handling than the fifth-generation model.

Chevrolet is also introducing a more “driver focused” interior with the 2016 Camaro that includes a touch screen in the dashboard and an eight-inch digital display in the gauge cluster sitting between two analog gauges.

Halogen projector beams are standard on the car, but the RS and SS models will include HID headlights and LED daytime running lights along with LED taillights.

Official curb weights for the model line aren’t available yet, but the car is roughly two inches shorter than the outgoing model and a little less than an inch narrower while riding on a shorter wheelbase. It also sits about an inch lower than the old model.

General Motors hasn’t announced pricing for the new Camaro yet, but it should start showing up at dealerships sometime in the fourth quarter of the year.

See more 2016 Camaro photos at AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-16-2015, 08:30 PM

I like this a little bit better than the current models. Plus 200lbs lighter and more power. Would love to see one with a stripe package. Also anyone think Chevy is monitoring the different forums for feedback in an effort to get a feel on how much to raise prices?
post #3 of 12 Old 05-17-2015, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

I bet an 2SS comparable goes for about 45K

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012

post #4 of 12 Old 05-17-2015, 06:51 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I'm in just need to pay off the 13 first and then my son "might" get it. Then a 2017 for me...

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-17-2015, 07:20 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
I like how they trimmed the fat off the rear end. Who knows? Maybe, one day I'll go back to owning a Camaro!!

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
post #6 of 12 Old 05-18-2015, 09:05 PM

Looks like the current scion TC to me. That front looks like a angry toad or stingray . I would pic a challenger or mustang over it. Too much Toyota corolla on the front of this car. Now the car looks mainstream and don't stick out. And that interior is weird looking especially with that Nissan looking steering wheel. The current steering wheel looks way better.

Chevy's nothing else matters!
post #7 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 11:07 AM

Garage
I think it has lost the "look" that makes you immediately know its a Camaro, it has a lot of nice upgrades, but not a fan of the new body style at all. Guess I will wait for a 7th gen, I should only be about 75 by then!

Modern Camaro MOTM April 2015

2014 LS2 Summit White
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
post #8 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesli66 View Post
I think it has lost the "look" that makes you immediately know its a Camaro, it has a lot of nice upgrades, but not a fan of the new body style at all. Guess I will wait for a 7th gen, I should only be about 75 by then!
never would have guessed you are 70 now ... 5th gen only lasted 6 years so 7th gen should be around 2021 - 2022

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #9 of 12 Old 05-19-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesli66 View Post
True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
never would have guessed you are 70 now ... 5th gen only lasted 6 years so 7th gen should be around 2021 - 2022
Please.... Don't let it last this long. I'm hoping they do a refresh in a year

Chevy's nothing else matters!
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2015, 02:11 PM
Happy happy happy!

Garage
I thought the 5th Gen was PERFECT and was afraid of what GM would do to the 6th Gen...

HOMERUN GM!!! HOMERUN!!!

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."... 2 Timothy 4:7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page