Why is the Chevrolet Camaro So Hard to See Out Of? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Envy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-24-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Why is the Chevrolet Camaro So Hard to See Out Of?

Quote:
Thereís a lot to like about the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro.

This car is fast, engaging and gorgeous from just about every angle, but it has one potentially deal-breaking flaw. Just like the previous-generation model, outward visibility is its Achillesí heel. You canít see out of it.

Camaros sit close to the ground and their roofs are pushed low, something that decreases the amount of side glass to an almost comical degree. Exacerbating things, their windshields and backlights are tiny as well. From a usability standpoint, these design choices are troublesome, but it does enhance the carís sporty appearance; letís be honest, it looks pretty badass.

But with all of the resources and engineering capability at its disposal, why didnít GM correct this fault, which has been around since the previous-generation car debuted half-a-dozen years ago? The 2016 Camaro is a clean-sheet redesign, which gave designers and engineers ample opportunity to improve the sightlines. To get a straight answer, we asked Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer about this.

Well aware of its predecessorís shortcomings, he said they considered raising the new carís roof and lowering its beltline among other tweaks, all in a bid to improve visibility. But at the end of the day, they didnít do any of this, and the reason why may surprise you.

Oppenheiser explained that his team typically doesnít do clinics with the Camaro because 'we pretty much know our customer.' But curiously, they did it anyway while developing the sixth-generation car.

He said they brought in a group of people to evaluate the previous Camaro alongside rivals like the Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger and Nissan 370Z. Customers compared these cars side by side and were asked how theyíd improve each one.

With the Chevy, Oppenheiser said participants voiced their concerns about the bad visibility. 'They got to the Camaro and [we] said ĎWhat would you tell Chevrolet about the Camaro if you could redesign it, if you helped give input to the next one?í And they said ĎWell, I canít see out of it.í

This is valid, if obvious feedback. However, according to Oppenheiser, customers didnít want to sacrifice any of the Camaroís signature design for better sightlines. When asked about this tradeoff he said, 'They all went, ĎDonít change it! We love the styling, thatís why we bought it!í' Drivers adore the way this car looks, even if itís not necessarily easy to live with.

Making things a little better, Oppenheiser noted that customers suggested improving visibility by adding new technology. Features like blind-spot monitoring and an improved backup camera are available in the 2016 Camaro.

Oppenheiser said the new carís sightlines are improved over the previous-gen model, especially when itís equipped with those new tech goodies. He also noted that the more time you spend in the new Camaro, the more familiar you get with its exterior dimensions. 'If you spent six months in it, youíd learn to drive around it.' A week-long test isnít necessarily enough time to really learn its exterior dimensions.

So thatís the story of why the Camaro is still difficult to see out of. As with many things, vanity has once again trumped practicality.
Read more about Why is the Chevrolet Camaro So Hard to See Out Of? at AutoGuide.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 AM
L99

I can see perfectly everyone in my rear view mirror! Hahahahaha. Seriously I like the low effect but I also make sure to us my head and look around before changing my direction. It's what they teach in drivers education. My 2 cents.

Life begins at 4 am... for me that is.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-24-2016, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

I was all happy driving my Camaro and didn't even realize some people can't see out of them until I started visiting the forums.

2011 1SS/RS LS3 Cyber Gray Metallic

post #4 of 8 Old 02-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Garage
If you know how to use your mirrors properly you'll have no trouble.

.....unless you need to sit on a few phone books.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic..
post #5 of 8 Old 02-25-2016, 01:52 PM

Under $250 and you can install a Garmin GPS and wireless rear view camera.....mounts and receives GPS signals sitting under the climate control knobs where the optional gauge pack would sit and the plug-in power is right there..... who needs the optional gauges anyway since there are digital ones in the DIC? Keeps you from kissing signs/poles not visible from mirrors and difficult to judge from rear window (especially with someone wedged in the rear seat) when backing in.

Garmin's matching system works great and can be left plugged in.....no buttons to push to turn on or off.....camera sits on the license plate and connects to the reverse light wiring under the light wiring panel......GPS fires up as soon as outlet gets power and defaults directly to the map screen.....automatically switches to camera view while shifted to reverse......and unit automatically turns off when outlet powers down after key removal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0028.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	49057   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0029.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	49065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0031.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	49073  

Current Chevys - '15 Camaro LS '16 Silverado LT Z71; '16 new Malibu LT; '15 Traverse LT2
Previous Chevys: '13 Avalanche; '12 Avalanche LT; '11 Tahoe LT; '11 Malibu LS; '08 Trailblazer; '07 Avalanche; '06 Colorado WT....'80 Citation (POS); '75 Impala; 72 Chevelle; '69 Camaro R/T; '65 Impala SS; '62 Nova; '53 model 210
post #6 of 8 Old 03-07-2016, 10:46 AM

I always felt that way, until I sat in one.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
After driving a van for 20+ years...I thought the Camaro was a piece of cake. It's all about the mirrors...clearly a technique sadly lacking in many drivers.

I also can't help but mention that I found Al's comment to be somewhat offensive when he said "Drivers adore the way this car looks, even if itís not necessarily easy to live with" because I have no problem at all living with my Camaro.
patriotpa likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-09-2016, 09:03 PM

Dito Envy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page