Modern Camaro Forums banner

USMC and USN Thread

46K views 130 replies 76 participants last post by  Deputy347k9 
#1 ·
Well I thought of starting a Jarhead thread, but with this site being small still and since the MC is a Dep. Of the Navy and we get deployed and live together there is no reason why we can't post together too!
My name is Mark. Was active duty 92-96 USMC. Was a 8152 (marine security guard) and an 0341 (mortarman). Am gonna try to reinlist again soon. Just got hit by a drunk driver last week and have to recover first.
So all you active, retired, prior service get on in here and post!

#7 ·
Welcome to the thread! I've got my Shellback card in my wallet still. It makes for a good conversation piece from time to time. I spent about a year on the USS America as ships company in 94-95 so I know alittle about Navy life at sea. Was also on the USS Germantown on deployment to southeast asia. My Grandfather was on the USS Princeton in WW2, he survived the sinking and lived to tell me the stories.
Nice to see more of you stoping in!

#111 ·
Welcome to the thread! I've got my Shellback card in my wallet still. It makes for a good conversation piece from time to time. I spent about a year on the USS America as ships company in 94-95 so I know alittle about Navy life at sea. Was also on the USS Germantown on deployment to southeast asia. My Grandfather was on the USS Princeton in WW2, he survived the sinking and lived to tell me the stories.
Nice to see more of you stoping in!
What's up Shipmates! I was on the America from 88 to 92; Desert Shield/Storm. Good thing we all did our part, or else these cars might be called Camrades or Compadres or Cam-something-besides-ARO, right???

#8 ·
NAVY

Nice to see a USN/USMC section. As for myself I'm a former AD (Mech 6 yrs), then got off of acitve duty to finish my degree in business. Became a Navy pilot. Flew on active duty for 9 years. Joined the Reserves (am now a Commander) and flew out in the civilian community for a while then became a Citation Ten instructor for FlightSaftey International here is windy and COLD Wichita. Hope to hear some more from the veterans on this site.
FLY NAVY Ks. :patriot:

#13 ·
USMC190/Air Group/Tarawa/Bumble Bee

USMC190:
Did a little flying in conjunction with a Carrier Group in the ASW role but then got assigned to a land base cargo unit flying on shore. Did do a tour with the Tarawa flying HH-46's early in my career as support for this special Marine unit that was flying Cobra's off the Tarawa. Really intresting working with the Marines, there there was never a dull moment.
In the Navy while Ronald Reagan was at the helm was the best Those were the good old days. The only thing better was me winning the Bumble Bee. Any ideas who won?????:patriot:

#15 ·
Full speed ahead...

Erik English here. I've been a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy for 18 years. I'm a Preventive Medicine Technician stationed at Camp Lejeune. I've done 11 of my 18 years with the Marines - best duties I EVER HAD. Now, I do a lot of work with the Army veterinarian techs. as well as local public health officials in this area.

I'll be getting commissioned next April, then have to give the Navy 10 years to keep the Officer retirement pay. This means I'll do at least 30, maybe 35 years. I love this life & don't want anything but to stay in & be with the grunts when we hit the next hellhole in the world. BEst moment I remember is when we crossed Kuwait into Iraq - were on the back of a 7 ton & had a small radio with us. One of the guys hit play & it was "Highway to hell" by AC/DC - man, that just fit the moment & I'll never forget it...:patriot::roxor:
"It ain't easy, Livin' free"

#17 ·
Erik English here. I've been a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy for 18 years. I'm a Preventive Medicine Technician stationed at Camp Lejeune. I've done 11 of my 18 years with the Marines - best duties I EVER HAD. Now, I do a lot of work with the Army veterinarian techs. as well as local public health officials in this area.

I'll be getting commissioned next April, then have to give the Navy 10 years to keep the Officer retirement pay. This means I'll do at least 30, maybe 35 years. I love this life & don't want anything but to stay in & be with the grunts when we hit the next hellhole in the world. BEst moment I remember is when we crossed Kuwait into Iraq - were on the back of a 7 ton & had a small radio with us. One of the guys hit play & it was "Highway to hell" by AC/DC - man, that just fit the moment & I'll never forget it...:patriot::roxor:
"It ain't easy, Livin' free"
Nice to see you make it in here Brother! Like I told you before some of my best friends were Corpsman when I was a 0341 with 1/7 Bravo company. You have REALLY deadicated your life to the USA giving 18 years plus 10 more! For that I salute you and say thank you! Like Urbanlegend I wish I had never got out too. As soon as I recover from the drunk driver hit and crash, I plan to get back in the MC ASAP! Since I'm not married anymore and have no kids, I figure why not! I won't make much $ but its not about the money but the job and the service you do for your country.
Semper Fi!
Mark

#18 ·
Hey Slim, did you ever make it to 29 Palms for your 2 weeks? Just wondering cause almost always every unit makes it there for CACCS once a year. That was my last duty station. A true desert wasteland. Palm Springs, LA, San Diego, and Las Vegas (my favorite), were all within driving distance though. Most of my two years there were spent in southeast asia.
Semper Fi!
Mark

#19 ·
I was just thinking about enlistment/ reenlistment bonuses and came up with a good idea (for us Camaro lovers). If we would sign for a lifetime commitment, we would get a new Camaro as a bonus! Wishful thinking but before I got hit by a drunk driver I was talking to recruiters about going back active duty and the Army recruiter offered me a 60k bonus for 4 active and 2 reserve!! The Marine recruiter said I could get a bonus too. I chose to wait till I can make the MC strict height and weight standard, but the Army would have signed and shipped me as I was. So I will try to wait to hit 170lbs for the Marines, if not by May or June I'm gonna have to go back to the Army recruiter.
With that 60k bonus I could buy the top 5thGen no problem! It is spread out over your enlistment though as most of you probably know.
Wonder what the highest bonuses are??? Probably the pilots and special forces (SEALS, Force Recon).

#20 ·
USN!

Does NJROTC count? lol. I plan on enlisting with the USN when I'm out of high school, use the navy to pay for college, then become a officer and hopefully retire a O4 or something. But I am DEFINATLEY going USN for a carer. I want to fly one of those the Hawk Eyes. But you have to be a O' in order to pilot. IDK what I want to do as a E'.

:patriot:HOORAH TO EVERYONE :patriot:

#21 ·
Welcome to the thread Kirkland! Maybe some of the Navy guys/ girls will stop in to suggest a rate. I would have gone master of arms not sure the rate specefics. Maybe gunners mate? Good luck and do good in your last year of high school cause it will help.
Semper Fi!

#22 ·
Just one of the Navy guys..

Kirkland - welcome & I think you're making a good choice. I did 4 years of NJROTC in High school & enlisted in the Navy in 1990. The NJROTC should get you advanced to E3 out of boot camp2 months ago I just got accepted for a commissioning program - I've got to give the Navy 10 years as an officer to retire so I'll be doing 30 years. I've been a Hospital Corpsman - what are some of your interests?

I'll start researching & see what jobs are wide open & have good advancement opportunities. Keep in touch..

Erik English
pmtech03@yahoo.com

#23 ·
Thanks a million man. That has been the toughest coice I've had to make. So far I've looked at ATC, MA, Pilot, Mechanic, and after that I'm still researching. My interests are computers, cars, business, law enforcement, exploring, science, and I have allways been good at math. I've considered SEAL but I allways have this little voice in the back of my head saying "not sure its for me".

#24 ·
As a career MA (7 going on 8 years) I say don't do it. Sounds like you have the same interests as me. I started off as an AT (Aviation Electronics Technician). I made it to AT3 and supposedly passed the AT2 exam in '98 the day I checked out on terminal leave. I wish I had remained an AT, I was happier. MA is a challenge, on my nerves and patience. I'm currently a Geology major. I'm a research hound and a science lover,I'm **** good at law enforcement but it doesn't challenge me mentally like I need. I scored a 76 on the ASVAB. Average but not amazing. I scored best in applied sciences and engineering. My math sucks but my vocab and reading (even though my writing would beg to differ) was damned good.

I know of too many disgrunteled MAs and most of them would have been better off in technical rates.

My husband is a brain with feet attached (an MA and under worked for his abilities) and he went to BUDs. I 'll be honest with you,if I had the plumbing to facilitate doing BUDs, I would have. lol.

Overall, if you have a degree, go Officer. Become a pilot. If you don't go, technical and force yourself to go to school. The Navy is great, my greatest regret is not staying in. :(

#25 ·
The plan is to go in as Enlisted, use the STA-21 program to get to college, then come back as a officer. I will allmost definatley be a pilot, but the real queastion is what to do as a enlisted until I get the college money. And after hearing that, I think I will cross MA off the list. I havent taken the ASVAB yet (waiting to take the CAT in Talahassee), but I scored a 98 on the EST. I think if I wanted to get my feet wet on a plane as a enlisted, the best place will be running radar on a Hawk Eye, But like I said, I'm still researching.

#26 ·
Former jarhead 03-07

Former 3rd Marine grunt (0311), OP Phantom Fury Al Fallujah IQ 04-05. Scout Sniper (8541, now changed to 0317), OEF II Afghan 2006. Currently overseas again as a contractor... Greetings to all!:patriot:

#29 ·
MSgt. 1981-2003 (Retired), currently working on base Camp Lejeune, NC at the Base Education Center.

"Grunt" 22 1/2 years, with no B billets, served most of my time with 2D MarDiv, 2nd, 6th, and 8th Marines, also served two tours at TBS, Quantico, Va, training Officers in the field.

Iraq 2003 was my 13th deployment and I was ready to retire after serving in that grid square from hell!!

Never a dull minute on the ground side, it was one hellva ride in the Infantry!!

:patriot: Semper Fi: to all Past, Present, and Future Leathernecks!!!

SF
Rick

#30 ·
advice

Hey Kirkland,....I fully agree with URBAN LEGEND, go to college and become a pilot . Thats what I did and had a blast. We had some real out of control fun. Not to mention some really cool training which will land you a good job later in life. Good luck and keep us posted:patriot: FLY NAVY

#31 ·
Hey Kirkland,....I fully agree with URBAN LEGEND, go to college and become a pilot . Thats what I did and had a blast. We had some real out of control fun. Not to mention some really cool training which will land you a good job later in life. Good luck and keep us posted:patriot: FLY NAVY
Dang I'm jealous. :D From the age of 13 until my second year of active duty that was my dream. Next year, 14 years after joining, I'll finally submit my LDO package. No flying :( I'll still be stuck in Security.

#36 ·
Hi everyone. I just joined the forum after. watching it for awhile. I thought this would be the appropriate thread to introduce myself. I was USMCR 2141 AAV Mech. Iraq 03. OO-RAH!
Welcome to the thread and the best 5thGen site on the web! Seriously, I believe if you want solid and up to date facts facts on this car you found the right site.
Semper Fi!
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.