Snowtires - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

Go Back   ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts > 5th Generation Camaro - Technical Discussions > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension forum
Register Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension forum Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 877-522-8473 Advertisement

ModernCamaro.com is the premier Chevrolet Camaro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #1

Baker is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Snowtires

I reasantly purchased a 2010 2LT RS Camaro & planning to run it this winter & am looking for some advice on what to run for snow tires, should I pick up a set for my 20" rims or would it be more practical to pick up a used set of 18" on ebay & get snow's for them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #2

skuttduck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I reasantly purchased a 2010 2LT RS Camaro & planning to run it this winter & am looking for some advice on what to run for snow tires, should I pick up a set for my 20" rims or would it be more practical to pick up a used set of 18" on ebay & get snow's for them.
Well, I can tell you what I did, I've driven mine in 2 winters.

I picked up the 20" Pirelli scorpion Ice and snows, and put them on my stock rims. This was the cheapest option available in 2009, and the car looked and felt stock in the winter.

The local tire shop said they would mount and re-mount the summer tires for free.

I then wound up getting a set of 20" take offs for about $600 or so. Keep in mind the 20's are the most common for this car, and usually someone is selling a set.

Once I got the other set of rims, I got another set of TPMS, then I got the tires mounted and balanced.

I wanted to do the 18" method, but there wasn't as many take off sets available in 2009.

18" tires are cheaper than 20's

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #3

Thanks for the help, I found a used set of 4 snows on kijiji, but they are all P275/r40r20,,, would it be ok to run the 275's on the front as well ??????????????
Tks Bob
Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #4

skuttduck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks for the help, I found a used set of 4 snows on kijiji, but they are all P275/r40r20,,, would it be ok to run the 275's on the front as well ??????????????
Tks Bob
I'm not sure on that. My guess would be that would be ok. The fronts would be a bit wider and could fling the stuff along the side of the car more.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Premium Member

Orange5thGen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tks Bob
You can run them on the front and I would suggest getting two rear wheels for them though. You can put the rears on the front with no issue. The only issue you would maybe have is the tires wide track, but I had my snow and ice tires on they were the best last year in Chicago winter had no issues at all.
2011 White Convertible 1LT IOM, Full JDM Colorshift Halo upgrade, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors and Engine cover, Pace Setter Cat Back Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21x9.5 and 21X8.5 Full Custom Cromed 21" GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full IOM dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #6

starv2rider is on a distinguished road
Same car, 2LT RS, on the advice from Rudy @ Tire Rack, I bought Pirelli Scorpions w/ 18" wheels (no TPMS). $998.00 delivered, used them last season & had superior performance in snow (they got me home safe!). BTW..my Tire Rack experience was great, I highly recommend.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #7

rudy@tirerack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by starv2rider View Post
Same car, 2LT RS, on the advice from Rudy @ Tire Rack, I bought Pirelli Scorpions w/ 18" wheels (no TPMS). $998.00 delivered, used them last season & had superior performance in snow (they got me home safe!). BTW..my Tire Rack experience was great, I highly recommend.
Awesome! Thanks for the Kudos.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #8

Thanks for all your help,,,,,,,, I think I am going to pick up 4 - 18" wheels & a good set of 18" Winters.

Tks Bob
Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #9

dconradt is on a distinguished road
Yup, Tire Rack rocks. I a set of SM wheels, all 20 x 8 and 4 245/45-20 Scorpion Ice and Snows. With TPMs around 2k. I ran them all last winter in WI and they are awsome. Just don't try to run chrome wheels in the salt.

Life is too short to drive an ugly car.
I bought mine from Camaro Scotty!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #10

bceagleace is on a distinguished road
Based on the forums, sounds like everybody recommends the Pirelli Snow and Ice, right? I plan to drive all year, but probably not much in the really bad conditions. I'm in New England. Probably not a bad idea to rotate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsors