Advantages Vs. Disadvantages 18" wheels Vs. 19" plus - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

Go Back   ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts > 5th Generation Camaro - Technical Discussions > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension forum
Register Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension forum Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 877-522-8473 Advertisement

ModernCamaro.com is the premier Chevrolet Camaro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
xxSkullZxx

xxSkullZxx is on a distinguished road
Advantages Vs. Disadvantages 18" wheels Vs. 19" plus

Guys I bought some new wheels a week or so ago..(should arrive on Friday) for my 2 LS and decided to stay with the 18" wheel instead of jumping up to a 19 or 20" wheel. Outside of looks, are there any advantages of a larger, wider wheel on the Camaro.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
JacFab.com

RacnJsn95 is on a distinguished road
IMO there are absolutely no advantages to a wider/taller wheel. Wider or taller wheels are typically heaver, which result in slower 1/4 times (slower acceleration), worse gas mileage. Depending on the size difference of the tire can effect your gear ratio negatively. You don't need a 10"+ wide wheel to get traction... Big/tall wheel tires are usually more expensive, etc.

All they do is "look cool" and most of the time do nothing positive for performance, or your pocket book.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro
Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket, Dynomax Axleback, JacFab CAI System, JacFab HFC's, Bo White ported TB.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #3

-MD- Enforcer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
IMO there are absolutely no advantages to a wider/taller wheel. Wider or taller wheels are typically heaver, which result in slower 1/4 times (slower acceleration), worse gas mileage. Depending on the size difference of the tire can effect your gear ratio negatively. You don't need a 10"+ wide wheel to get traction... Big/tall wheel tires are usually more expensive, etc.

All they do is "look cool" and most of the time do nothing positive for performance, or your pocket book.
Agreed about a million percent.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #4

BUZZS20122LS is on a distinguished road
Talking

It's not clear as to why you went with the smaller wheel, is it only price? Of course it's going to cost less for them cause you can use your stock tires, plus the wheels cost less but...

Looks, just about everybody thinks larger wheels look better but..and this is critical...that's not all. Stagger is part of the agressive look (wider on the rear).. Some like them over 20" but not me, that is the max I'd go with on any budget.

If your in a pothole invested area the smaller wheels have an advantage in that the treadwall of the tire would be taller on smaller rims, thus less prone to damage.

Your not changing your gear ratio by changing the wheel size unless you go off the recommend tire size for this car. For example a 245/55/18 (on the LS) is exactly the same as 245/45/20 / 275/40/20 (SS front/rear). There is a couple charts which are online I used for this, it shows how much under or over diameter/price/how much it effects the speedometer, etc.

Once those babies are driven off the lot, and or maybe after they are mounted they are yours and you'd have to deal with the manager if your not happy so do any exchanges or returns at that time or best yet before so. (Don't ask how I know). They might just charge you shipping cost and maybe labor for exchanging them, if your lucky.

I think, and this is not common, that you could go with 1" larger on the rear, like 18" front, 19" rear or 19" front, 20" rear. This is an idea I got from looking at a Shelby Mustang I saw, not sure if this was the stock set-up but it is stock on the legendary Ford GT40. So whatever the reason they did that, I don't know, but it sure was not the price The taller the treadwall, the more protection you'd have against pothole or curb damage, plus weight and price.

Stagger costs you more because they can not be rotated, but that is not to say you can't get a set that is wider on all 4 (275 or evan 285).

I'd like to see more pics of 19"s, seems the jump is allways from 18" to 20"'s or 20"s to 22". I'm not sure how much 1" would effect the looks but I know the LT2 with the 19" wheels looks putzy next to an SS with it's 20"s.

Last edited by BUZZS20122LS; 04-11-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

hypurone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
IMO there are absolutely no advantages to a wider/taller wheel. Wider or taller wheels are typically heaver, which result in slower 1/4 times (slower acceleration), worse gas mileage. Depending on the size difference of the tire can effect your gear ratio negatively. You don't need a 10"+ wide wheel to get traction...

For once, I couldn't agree less. You can't make a blanket statement like this for all wheels/tires. There are larger/wider forged wheels that are lighter. There IS more traction with wider tires. I don't see how you can believe with more rubber on the road there isn't. There IS more overall performance with wider tires/wheels and NO gear ratio/speedometer issues if chosen properly....

I have years of past experience proving it and am currently loving the increased traction I'm getting with my wider Invo's/CCW's. There is more to traction than just whether or not they "light" up...

That said, he could probably get very good results with a very serious performance tire IF they are made in his 18" size...

You just have to spend some time and effort in research....
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

83Hokie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZS20122LS View Post
seems the jump is allways from 18" to 20"'s or 20"s to 22". I'm not sure how much 1" would effect the looks but I know the LT2 with the 19" wheels looks putzy next to an SS with it's 20"s.
One reason might be cost ... I was thinking I had 21" wheels for some reason (I don't), so I was looking at the price for 21" P-zeros. Holy c r a p!!!! $2150 for a set of 4. 20" set of 4, around $950. I feel sorry for anyone with 21" wheels ... I don't even think I saw an option for anything but the P-zero's.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #7

rudy@tirerack is on a distinguished road
Larger wheels will have a lower profile tire. This makes the sidewall shorter which does give better turn in response. Its also a looks thing as some prefer the larger wheel with low profile tire.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #8

SGOS252382 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
For once, I couldn't agree less. You can't make a blanket statement like this for all wheels/tires. There are larger/wider forged wheels that are lighter. There IS more traction with wider tires. I don't see how you can believe with more rubber on the road there isn't. There IS more overall performance with wider tires/wheels and NO gear ratio/speedometer issues if chosen properly....

I have years of past experience proving it and am currently loving the increased traction I'm getting with my wider Invo's/CCW's. There is more to traction than just whether or not they "light" up...

That said, he could probably get very good results with a very serious performance tire IF they are made in his 18" size...

You just have to spend some time and effort in research....
strickly speaking drag racing.
18" wheels work better because they're lighter, have less rotational mass, and fit tires with increased sidewall. It's not just the weight of larger diameter wheels, but the movement of weight out further from center (harder to get moving and to stop).

I noticed an increase in performance when I switched from 305/35/20 NT555Rs to 305/45/18 NT555Rs.

But for someone into road racing, you'll want to keep a higher profile tire. But that can be done with smaller wheels. There's a reason GM went with 19" wheels for the new Z28 (lighter weight, faster acceleration, and better handling).

Last edited by SGOS252382; 05-11-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsors