Anyone get Check Engine Light after Installing Headers? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

Go Back   ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts > 5th Generation Camaro - Technical Discussions > V8 Engine Discussion
Register Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

ModernCamaro.com is the premier Chevrolet Camaro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

RedJewel2SS will become famous soon enough
Anyone get Check Engine Light after Installing Headers?

Just got my American Racing headers in the mail.

was curious to know if any of you guys got a check engine light for the rear O2 sensors and what you did to fix it besides getting a custom tune.

I gotta DiabloSport tuner and i'm having their tech support write me a custom tune to delete these trouble codes, one of the perks with buying their programmer.

i haven't installed them yet but anxious to see the results with my Magnaflow Comp Series Exhaust!!!

OHHH YEAAA NO MUFFLER! LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS!!!

Anyone get Check Engine Light after Installing Headers?-headers1-jpg Anyone get Check Engine Light after Installing Headers?-headers2-jpg Anyone get Check Engine Light after Installing Headers?-headers5-jpg Anyone get Check Engine Light after Installing Headers?-headers3-jpg Anyone get Check Engine Light after Installing Headers?-headers4-jpg

Gone but not Forgotten!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
ModernCamaro.com Founder
and Camaro Disciple

OctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond repute
Does the system only use 2 of the O2 sensors?
If so, the other 2 can be programmed out of the computer.

EDIT: Looking closely at the pictures, it looks like there are bungs for all 4 O2 sensors, so you shouldn't set any codes for that.
Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
Follow ModernCamaro.com on Twitter!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

yea but something with the front & rear O2's being a shorter distance apart and having to use an extension harness for the fronts throws off the calibration of the rears.

just what i've heard from people with different cars, but i won't know until its installed!

Gone but not Forgotten!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

POWERFREAK has a spectacular aura aboutPOWERFREAK has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
yea but something with the front & rear O2's being a shorter distance apart and having to use an extension harness for the fronts throws off the calibration of the rears.

just what i've heard from people with different cars, but i won't know until its installed!
I've heard the same thing...since you're having the tune done anyway, might as well just take care of it.
When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: LSR Intake / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.11 Rear / Hurst Shifter / Perma-grin
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
ModernCamaro.com Founder
and Camaro Disciple

OctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond reputeOctaneZ28 has a reputation beyond repute
Aha, forgot about that.
Yeah, the only real solution is a tune.
If you're getting that done anyway, that'll take care of it.
Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
Follow ModernCamaro.com on Twitter!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #6

camaro1 is on a distinguished road
you will get a code eventually, for either of the cats efficiency, or for the front o2's insufficient switching time
415ci stroker,TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts,
Old 10-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

thanks

Gone but not Forgotten!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

2010_5thgen will become famous soon enough
actually the reason the check engine code comes on is because the o2 sensor is noticing that the air is moving through the exhaust at the same speed. the cat is normally there to slow down the movement. since the cat is gone, it moves through ratherquickly and throws the code. i was told the dealership can fix it, but you might as well take it and get a custom tune. for only 200-400 dollars, you can fix the check engine light, and get all of your parts workign together with freeing up some horse power. i need to make an appointment to get mine done. my light is on.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
actually the reason the check engine code comes on is because the o2 sensor is noticing that the air is moving through the exhaust at the same speed. the cat is normally there to slow down the movement. since the cat is gone, it moves through ratherquickly and throws the code. i was told the dealership can fix it, but you might as well take it and get a custom tune. for only 200-400 dollars, you can fix the check engine light, and get all of your parts workign together with freeing up some horse power. i need to make an appointment to get mine done. my light is on.
true if you were running no cats. however i ordered the kit with high flow cats. do you think the light would still come on with higher flowing ones?

i also have a diablosport programmer, and their tech support will delete the rear O2 codes from the tune for free. FYI

Gone but not Forgotten!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #10

Halltech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
Just got my American Racing headers in the mail.

was curious to know if any of you guys got a check engine light for the rear O2 sensors and what you did to fix it besides getting a custom tune.

I gotta DiabloSport tuner and i'm having their tech support write me a custom tune to delete these trouble codes, one of the perks with buying their programmer.

i haven't installed them yet but anxious to see the results with my Magnaflow Comp Series Exhaust!!!

OHHH YEAAA NO MUFFLER! LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS!!!

Attachment 4049 Attachment 4050 Attachment 4053 Attachment 4051 Attachment 4052
Generally, the cats are the problem. Codes pop from cat insufficiency issues. The cats run somewhat cooler, which causes these codes. You can easily program the codes out, but this may affect your GM warranty. You can delete the codes with MSDs Dashawk or similar code reader, but they will come back.

At one time the header companies offered SIMs that mimicked the voltage the ECM was looking for to effectively fool the test. You might check with the header company.

Jim Hall

Halltech Systems, LLC
Oconomowoc, WI
262-965-4300
www.HalltechSystems.com
jim@halltechsystems.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsors