Oil Change Interval - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

Go Back   ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts > 5th Generation Camaro - Technical Discussions > V8 Engine Discussion
Register Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

V8 Engine Discussion 6.2L LS3/L99 V8 | Exhaust | Ignition | Induction | Intakes

ModernCamaro.com is the premier Chevrolet Camaro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #1

jhofstra is on a distinguished road
Oil Change Interval

Why have they put a system in to tell you when the oil needs to be changed and the GM mecanics say don't go by the system. Mechanics say still change the oil every three thousand miles. Wondering what everyone else who is using synthetic oil is running before an oil change. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #2

Sales@JDP is on a distinguished road
I go between 3k and 5k, under normal driving. If I'm racing much, then I'll obviously change it a lot more often. I don't go by the Oil Life Monitor at all.
GM will warranty it if anything happens, and you follow the OLM, but I'd rather keep good, clean oil in all the time. Probably the biggest reason any car has a OLM with such long intervals, is it keeps cost of ownership down, which is huge for automakers to say.

-Jeremy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Buzz is on a distinguished road
I run Mobil1 full synthetic in my V6. Mine is not daily driver at this point. The car is only 1 1/2 years old with 8600 miles. I have done two oil changes so far. One at 4000 and 8000 mile mark. I want to say the oil life was at 55% used area on the gauge both times. Filter that I use is the NAPA Gold. The used oil both times was not that dark.

I have a bunch tech articles that the "Used oil life" gauge is very solid. Be sure to reset at each oil change. Also the 3000 mile interval is becoming a thing of the past. With modern oil technology and engine technology.

In my other cars, one being 2000 GMC at 160,000 and 2001 Ford at 135,000 miles. Standard oil at a 4500 miles change interval.

I feel the 3000 miles change interval is waste of money. Just my opinion .

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #4

Pray for Mojo is on a distinguished road
I do mine at 10k km (6250 miles), the mechanics tell you otherwise because they make money off it. The sticker I get from the dealer here is for 10k km more.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Limited to 155 mph

Nancygrl is on a distinguished road
I go between 4-5K between changes. IMHO, I think the oil life monitor is more for the peeps that need a reminder to change the oil, and what better way than for the car to tell 'em,
HEY DUDE!!!!! change my f#@in oil !!!!

Gone but never forgotten..2011 Camaro 2SS//RS LS3 6M, (Midnight Angel).....Traded 8/19/13

Last edited by Nancygrl; 12-06-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Premium Member

patriotpa will become famous soon enoughpatriotpa will become famous soon enough
So who do you think has a better idea of the life expectancy of the oil in your car, a mechanic, or the engineering design team at General Motors?
*I don't tolerate fools.* Psalm 109:8 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. Pro Patria Vigilans. It's not "drifting"... it's a POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012
Old 12-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #7

Camaro Freak will become famous soon enough
I run Mobil1 in my V6 and usually try to change it every 5-6K miles. The oil life monitor is usually around 50%. Its just what I feel comfortable with. I say do what makes you feel good. It can't hurt your car either way.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Premium Member

Kunk1963 is on a distinguished road
I'm switching to AMSOIL at the next Change, about 8K & at 4K on the Wife's V6.

Retired US Air Force & Loving Life!!!
2012 Corvette "Centennial Edition" Coupe
2012 Grand Sport 3LT
Old 12-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Buzz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancygrl View Post
I go between 4-5K between changes. IMHO, I think the oil life monitor is more for the peeps that need a reminder to change the oil, and what better way than for the car to tell 'em,
HEY DUDE!!!!! change my f#@in oil !!!!
What is the option code for "HEY DUDE!!!!! change my f#@in oil !!!!" ?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #10

ctsvowner is on a distinguished road
Did my first oil change at 3,200 miles. The tech did not reset the oil life monitor. So at about 5,600 miles my "change oil soon" light came on. I asked the service manager about this and he gave me a Free oil change and made sure the light was reset this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsors