Modern Camaro Forums banner

BORLA cat back exhaust on 3rd gen....

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  thirdgen89gta 
#1 ·
I have installed several cat back systems on GM iron, including a BORLA cat back on my wifes old 2000 R/A TA.

Fast forward to this year. I purchased a Borla cat back for a mothers day gift for my wifes current play vehicle, a 1990 IROC convertible. When I opened the box I knew this thing wasnt going to fit well, and after mocking it up, it confirmed my opinion.
I just paid Stans Headers 500.00 + to cut and either re weld or remake every F'in part of this thing so it would come close to fitting. I also had to pay for the ball flange fitting that connected the cat back to a cat.

I am linking this post to BORLA in the hope that they actually compensate me for the work and material I had to pay a quality shop to make their parts fit the aplication they advertised them to fit. Keep in mind I have emailed them several times over the last two months regarding this issue. All I got from them was BS.

This is my experience with BORLA, hope you fellas dont encounter the same problem. Your checking account might have red ass just like mine. 1300.00 for a cat back, pathetic.

#6 ·
Why didn't you send it back to Borla or where you bought it from so that they could make it right? At the very least, you should have called their tech department to confirm part numbers and such.

While I've never personally owned a Borla system, I sold them for almost 4 years when I worked for Keystone. They are very high quality, and I know the third gen guys raved about the system, especially for its ability to change the plates.

#15 ·
I agree on returning it to Borla. If its engineered for a thirdgen, it should fit without ANY major modifications. There might be some minor adjustments, but nothing so far as cutting and rewelding it!

I am actually interested in hearing the Borla XR1 muffler on my car, i found a few LT1s with the system and it sounds good and is supposed to flow very well too.

Currently have a SLP 2otL cat-back and am very happy with it. I also love how the Hooker aerochamber cat-backs sound on LS1 and LT1s.

I have a small exhaust clip of my SLP cat-back on a stock B-body LT1 with headers and no cats in my sig.

#10 ·
Did you post this twice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.