Modern Camaro Forums banner

Flat tire concerns...

2K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  louperrault 
#1 ·
Ok,, so I wanna go on a trip... Im wondering about that little cute inflator thingy in the trunk . Its not gonna work if you end up with a blow-out. Has anyone ordered a spare ? CAN you??? Cost?

#9 ·
I beleive you are right FastAl. I think it is the V-6 models that can take the spare, not the V-8 models. The spare is a doughnut, not a full sized wheel.
The salespeople should let customers know that the spare is not for all Camaros. Would be a shame to find out on the side of the road that you bought something that will not fit on your car!

John

#10 ·
I sent some guy on Ebay selling 4 SS wheels a message asking him if hed sell them in singles.There are several 4 wheels auctions,, if someone would just sell one wheel per auction they would probably sell all 4. Id cough up 400 bucks for the wheel/tire .

#11 ·
I checked TireRack.com the cheapest rim (ugly) that will fit (same size as the stock SS front) costs $200 and the cheapest tire (same as stock SS front) costs $148. I bought a jack (12V power) at Harbor Freight that will lift the car from the lift points for about $60. I made sure that it was short enough to fit under the lift point with no air in the tire. I tried the jack out it will lift the car but it seems to labor quite hard. It has a crank back-up that'd probably take a while to lift it high enough. My plan is to buy the tire and rim and leave the jack and spare in the garage when I'm not taking the car on a long trip.

I'd never use the tire-sealer goop. I've heard that it's hell to clen the rim afterward.

Semper Fi,

G

#14 ·
not to mention....people on motorcycles don't seem to worry too much about it.

I think this must be the 3405868th thread on the subject.:rolleyes:

#15 ·
People on motorcycles dont seem to worry about raod-rash and busting their heads open either, but it happens.

I don't like being stranded. I don't like waiting for a service truck. I don't want to pay inflated prices for parts. I don't want to wait until shops open that have the odd-sized tire that I need...

#16 ·
People on motorcycles dont seem to worry about road-rash and busting their heads open either, but it happens.

I don't like being stranded. I don't like waiting for a service truck. I don't want to pay inflated prices for parts. I don't want to wait until shops open that have the odd-sized tire that I need...
My thoughts exactly. And as far as Corvettes, most of those guys can just pawn the big gold medallion that is required wear when operating a Corvette and use that money for a quick tow.....:lol:

#21 ·
I have nothing against bikes or bikers. One of my best friends was killed on a bike (due to his own stupidity). Another friend at work (a very safe rider) was nearly killed (busted head) by some kid who wasn't paying attention while driving. My point was that **** happens that is beyond our control. I prefer to be reasonably prepared.

Semper Fi,

G

#22 ·
I understand that people on motorcycles are at times stupid....most biker problems come from people who don't pay attention. Sorry about your friends. I have only wore a helmet when requiered by state law (here in Tx I don't need one because I carry proper insurance) also called financial responsible:).
I have been riding since 1968...most bikers are killed by stupidity (thiers and drivers). Back to originality of the post, I have had numerous vehicles over the past 30+ years:D, but have only 2 flats on the road, and 1 in my driveway (4 months ago). I have seen alot of people out there on the hwy, and 90% call a service of some type to change a tire. I for one am glad there in no donut spare in the trunk as well. My wife has one in her 99 monte, it is still new because she has had no use for it nor has had a flat in her car in 10yrs (because I am a former auto tech).
Sorry about the rant but I take being an avid motorcyclist very serious.

#25 · (Edited)
As far as motorcycles, they are great, BUT you are in FAR more danger than in a car. Ive stood over the remnants of a dead biker more times than I care to remember and Ive seen BOTH at fault. His point wasnt to offend, but to make a point. Those points can be summed up in the "gun" reference. Its best to have one and not need it , than need it and not have it...

I travel a lot at night. At 0317 ( 3;17 in the morning) I dont want to be stuck in the backwoods of North Carolina Route 677 with a flat when I couldve had a spare. Thats what Im looking for here. SOMEONE here has to know SOMETHING about a spare for an SS . I hope the ebay guy coughs one up. No need for anyone to be upset,, besides,, I aint havin no fightin in my thread. You boys wanna duke it out, take her on outside..:lol:

#29 ·
WOW!!:lol: I thought what I had done was bad:p...by the way I am also a owner/carrier of handguns while traveling:D
It is all good...and no fighting here. I love all forms of transport from C130's to UH1H, to blackhawks ... always love the thrill. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.