1st Gen Weight? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
1st & 2nd Generation F-Body 1967-1969 / 1970-1981 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

1st Gen Weight?

What does the 1st Gen weigh compaired to the 5th Gen?

Thanks and y'all have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.

CAMARO savings account started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailnut View Post
What does the 1st Gen weigh compaired to the 5th Gen?

Thanks and y'all have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.
You are most likely going to get a wide range of answers on this, and there's a reason for that. Your First Gen Camaros had several different options that affected the weight drastically. Not so much with the 5th Gen. For example, you could order a First Gen with a 396 Big Block, or an aluminum headed 302 small block mated to a 4-Speed. The weight difference between a BB/Auto and a SB/4-Speed is a few hundred pounds. You also had several engine combinations back then including six cylinders w/ manual steering, manual brakes, and no air conditioning. You also had a choice of rear end axles; 10-bolt and 12-bolt, which could also affect your overall weight.

I wish there was a more cut and dry answer, but unfortunately, there isn't. What I can tell you is this; the 5th Gen Camaro has a longer wheel base, a wider track split, and has a ton of safety and electronic devices that weren't even thought of back in the 60's. So, your question is a very interesting comparison...

I have seen a First Gen Camaro weigh in at 3050 lbs all the way up to 3500 lbs. My 1967 RS/SS Camaro is a factory 396/TH400 car and it has been weight in at 3585 lbs with a full take of gas. I'm sure there are websites out there that have the complete breakdown of the 1967-1969 Camaros.

Just my two cents....
post #3 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Sorry - didn't mean to make it a pain in the a$$ question. I just wondered what the difference would be in general. I would think the Gen 5 would weigh in more.

Thanks

CAMARO savings account started.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

My 69 also still has the factory 396 BB and TH400 behind it and its at 3473 as I weighed it at a truck stop a while back and that was with a 1/4 of a tank of fuel. Everything else is the way it came from the factory. I even put the factory tires and wheels back on to weigh it to see where it was at.

Before I started shedding weight on my 5thgen the 1st gen felt like a paperclip still compared to the 5thgen.

understand things like suspension , brembo brakes , 20inch wheels , Airbags all the way around , and all the electronic stuff is the weight on the car. These 5thgens have curtain airbags on the sides.

Last edited by Jekyll-N-Hyde; 12-21-2010 at 03:31 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailnut View Post
Sorry - didn't mean to make it a pain in the a$$ question. I just wondered what the difference would be in general. I would think the Gen 5 would weigh in more.

Thanks
You're question wasn't a pass in the a$$, just not as easy or direct as you thought. But you are right about one thing, the 5th Gen does weigh quite a bit more than the First Gen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 5th Gen weighs in around 3800 lbs or so..... To my knowledge, no First Gen Camaro weighed that much from the Factory.

In fact, a 1967 Camaro with an inline Six Cylinder mounted to a column 3-Speed shifter weighed in at 2700 lbs, roughly. That's over 1,000 lbs difference from the current V6 Camaro...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page