engine question - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
1st & 2nd Generation F-Body 1967-1969 / 1970-1981 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-03-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Question engine question

Okay guys, I need help. I own a 2010 Synergy Green Camaro and I want to build a 69 camaro. My husband is building a 73 Nova and is putting a 383 stroker in it. Watching the motor being built really got me interested in the different types of motors, but I have no idea how to learn about them. It is hard to explain, but I want to know the difference between a blown motor, a stroker motor and a motor that has been bored, I want to know the difference between a 302 (which I believe is a Ford engine) and a 350. For instance I have learned that a 383 stroker is a 350 block that has a longer piston stroke...but I only learned that because my husband told me. He knows a lot about motors and he does his best to help me learn, but I am more of the reading/visual learner, so I was wondering if anyone out there knew of any good books, websites, diagrams, ect., that I can check out to start getting on track to learning about engines.

Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Support MC & Troops

Google them, it what I do, other wise I go to the library.
Sorry I'm not much help., Hot Rod Mag is what I grew up on and my dad was/is a pain to get info from but I learned a lot from trail and error & reading the mags.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #3 of 17 Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Thank you hotrodhoodrat! Google has been my friend so far in my search...sounds like I need to get a subscription to Hot Rod mag as well!

post #4 of 17 Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Support MC & Troops

yea google works, you'll find some good info on all types of motors and cars through Hot Rod, I also do Street Thunder, I've got a life time membership through them., I love muscle cars of all types mostly, I even have gotten in a bit to the newer types of cars because of these two mags, other wise I'd be in the stone age "my boy tells me." ....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #5 of 17 Old 01-03-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

I have been with my husband for almost 12 years and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't even know how to check my oil! He has gotten me into cars big time. I am defininitly a fan of the older muscle cars over the new ones as well. It is a fun world to be in.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
This may be more basic than you want to start with but will link off to more advanced stuff. Always start with the basics...

http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine2.htm

As for a "blown" motor there are 2 inferences here. One signifies a "forced air induction" of some kind. Read: Supercharger or turbocharger. the other refers to having improperly tuned/built/maintained or just plain abused your sh*t and blown up your engine!!

Enjoy the learning process. Don't try to take it all in too fast. Burnout sucks... Unless of course it's the drive tires we are talking about....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #7 of 17 Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

You are correct about one thing; 302 is a Ford Motor, but it is Also a Chevrolet Motor as well. In 1967, Chevrolet was busy promoting their new pony car, the Camaro, and part of the promotional efforts included racing the Camaro in the SCCA Trans-Am series. In order to make the Camaro competitive, Chevrolet introduced the Z/28 option package which included among other things, a special 302 cubic inch small block. The engine size was a result of the SCCA's 305 cubic inch displacement limit in the Trans-Am series at the time. The 302 turned out to be one of Chevrolet's finest small block offerings, and the engine stood in stark contrast to the ever increasing size of the big blocks used in the muscle cars of the day.
To arrive at the SCCA legal 302 cubic inches, Chevrolet used a 4.00" bore and a 3.00" stroke resulting in a very oversquare (the bore is larger than the stroke) combination. In overly simple terms and ignoring such important design factors such as bore / stroke ratio, an engine with a short stroke has the ability to rev higher due to slower piston speeds. As an example, think of two engines, A and R. Engine A has a stroke of 3.00", while engine B has a stroke of 4.00". If both engines are turning at a speed of 4000 rpm, the pistons of engine A have less distance to travel than those of engine B. Since both engines are turning at the same rpm, the pistons of engine R have to cover more distance in the same amount of time as the pistons of engine A, resulting in higher piston speeds. Short stroke engines, therefore, can run higher rpm with greater reliability and less stress on the reciprocating assembly. This is the approach Chevrolet took when designing the 302 for SCCA competition.
The blocks used in 1967 were casting number 3892657. These small journal blocks were also used for 327 and 350 cubic inch engines as well (all three engines used a 4.00" bore). 1968 models used block casting number 3914678 and featured the new style large journals. The 1968 block was also used for the 327/210 hp and 350 295 hp SS engines. The blocks used in 1969 featured thicker webbing around the mains and used nodular iron 4 bolt caps. A common misconception is that 1967 and 1968 302's were 4 bolt blocks, while actually the only engine to use 4 bolt main caps was the 1969 version.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

A motor that has been "Bored" just simple means that the Pistons are no longer Standard. So, the block has been taking to a machine shop and each cylinder has been increased in size, or bored to fit a bigger piston. Most pistons that are stock, or standard, will actaully have a STD stamped somewhere on them. The same goes if the piston is for a bored engine.

Hope all that helps just a tad....
post #9 of 17 Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 AM

Well young lady!

It's nice to hear about significant others sharing the same interest, whether it's cars or anything else.

At any rate, having just sold my '71 RS, "Camaro Performer's" magazine was and is a good resource, not only for editorials, but also for technical information. Here is a link to their on line magazine. Hard copies can also be purchased and they have a Facebook link (if you're into that kind of stuff!):

http://www.camaroperformers.com/index.html

Here's a picture of the 383 stroker that was in my '71:
post #10 of 17 Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Welcome to the Site tlgibb1... You came to the Right Forum, there's a lot of Knowledgeable folks here and they R Willing to help others out when needed... I've only been here a short time and have learned a lot... Have Fun with your build..

Retired US Air Force & Loving Life!!!
2012 Corvette "Centennial Edition" Coupe
2012 Grand Sport 3LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page