Early Camaro History - interesting read - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
1st & 2nd Generation F-Body 1967-1969 / 1970-1981 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-15-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Early Camaro History - interesting read

Found this - it was a pretty cool read!

http://www.camaros.org/l30m20.shtml

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Scotty View Post
Found this - it was a pretty cool read!

http://www.camaros.org/l30m20.shtml
Hey Scotty- That is a pretty cool read. Thanks for posting and sharing...
post #3 of 8 Old 08-17-2011, 05:37 PM

Garage
I know this is an old thread, but that was a good read. However, I do take exception to the statement that "no production SS camaros were made with an engine smaller than 350. Back in the early '70s, I knew and frequently rode in two SS250 6-cylinder camaros. One with a two speed powerglide and one with a three speed stick. My best friend at the time(1974-75) had a tahoe turquois 1967 SS250 camaro with a powerglide. It had the white bumblebee stripe around the nose and a black interior with console floor shift. Not long afterwords another friend got a '68 SS250 stick shift, white with a black vinyl top and black interior. No console but had the stripe that wrapped around the nose then on down the sides of the car. They weren't fast but they were cool!
So while I won't dispute the 327cu. info, I know for sure that smaller engined SS were available in '67 and '68. Just my two cents.

Bill

'14 1LS
'13 1LT/RS
Camaro Family

post #4 of 8 Old 08-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
nice read

Buzz
2010 Synergy Green 1LT

post #5 of 8 Old 08-24-2011, 11:23 AM

So you're telling me that the number #1 site and group used for restoration and research for camaros is wrong?

My first toy 30 years ago and still enjoying it
No replacement for displacement
http://s436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85/pacecar502/
post #6 of 8 Old 08-24-2011, 01:46 PM

Garage
You can take it for what it's worth. I learned to drive in that '67 SS250. So I'm sticking to my story.

Bill

'14 1LS
'13 1LT/RS
Camaro Family
post #7 of 8 Old 08-24-2011, 02:41 PM

Well heck if you say there were ones I guess i'll have to believe it since there is no other proof anywhere.

You sure it wasn't an RS?

My first toy 30 years ago and still enjoying it
No replacement for displacement
http://s436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85/pacecar502/

Last edited by Pacecar502; 08-24-2011 at 02:54 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacecar502 View Post
Well heck if you say there were ones I guess i'll have to believe it since there is no other proof anywhere.

You sure it wasn't an RS?
I don't think so. It didn't have hidden headlights, though I don't know for sure that they did in '67. What I know for sure was SS in the grille and on the fenders in front over top of the nose stripe. It had SS in the hornbutton, and on the gascap in the rear panel which was blacked out. Now this being 1974 and I was 14 at the time, we didn't worry about checking vin numbers and such, but he bought it from a dealer as an SS and another friend of ours got a '68 almost like it 'cept it was 3spd stick with a Muncie shifter. He bragged all the time how he could holeshot the Powerglide one with his straightstick.
I'll tell you this: the car sticks out so well in my memory because it was the prettiest Camaro I'd seen. Being that Tahoe Turquiose color(I remember the name because we looked for touchup paint for it) with the white bumblebee stripe and he had Chrome Reverse wheels with baby moons on it. The only other mod was an underdash 8-track with a reverb system. We used to ride around listening to Grand Funk Railroad tapes. Plus he let me drive it on back roads sometimes which was a big thing at that age! I was sick when he traded it in for an Opel GT!

I am gonna do some searching and see what I can find out. Because now I'm curious if it was actually rare or not. I know they made plenty of SS250 Novas in the mid sixties as well.

Bill

'14 1LS
'13 1LT/RS
Camaro Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page