new tech on old tech - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
1st & 2nd Generation F-Body 1967-1969 / 1970-1981 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
new tech on old tech

Hello all. I have a 1971 Z28 I am restoring. What do you know about Hotchkis and Willwood ? Looking at them for my resto...My ride is a numbers matching 4 speed close ratio .i have had it since 1983....I am adding new tech steering,suspension and brakes,,,,Rebuilding the transM-21 and the 3.73 rear end..the LT-1 is strong and only needs some goodies....Should be back on the streets in spring..Weeeeeeeeeeeee...Looking to add the subframe connectors,frontend braces and new A arms....I need input from some of you...back in my day, it was herb adams..i have a set of those Bars now.May change them to newer tech hotchkis during resto...Any tips ?

Last edited by bucketlist2011; 09-06-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Support MC & Troops

Bucky6702 is the guy to talk to for Hotchkis, he's installed on his 1st gen, he luv em

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #3 of 38 Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

HotRod, thanks for the shout out!!

Bucketlist, as HotRod mentioned, I will stand behind Hotchkis Suspension. I own a 1967 RS/SS Camaro, and there is actually pictures of my baby in the 1st & 2nd Gen F--Body Sections. I actually have pictures posted of the entire frame off restoration that I have given "Jade". I'm running both Hotchkis and Wilwood and couldn't be any happier with either one of them, and I'll explain why.

My first choice of suspension was Heidts, and what it came down to was my budget. Heidts had a complete front end package that came with Wilwood brakes. In fact, the kit came with Lower, Upper, Drop Spindles and everything I needed for the Wilwood Brakes. After trying to adjust and set my front end up for over 18 months, I lost my patience with Heidts. My problem was, the 2" drop spindles lowered my car too much. I went through 3 sets of coils springs that were custom made, and I still couldn't get the right ride height. Heidts solution was- convert my car over to a coil spring/shock set up that is adjustable. During this year's Power Tour, I almost considered it, until Heidts informed me that I would have to replace my lower tubular control arms, since I was going to run a coil spring/shock set up.

Needless to say, I was a tad bit upset, so I sold my entire Heidts suspension, and ordered Hotchkis. I was amazed at the difference in craftsmanship when I sat the upper and lower control arms next to the Heidts. You will not be disappointed with Hotchkis, as everything was a true bolt on upgrade. I'm also running a CPP Quick Steering Gearbox that I bought from Hotchkis. In fact, my rear springs, inner and outer tie rods, adjustable sleeves, pitman arm, and idler arm are all from Hotchkis.

If you have any other questions, or concerns, just ask. I'll be more than happy to advice you based on my experience.

Bucky

post #4 of 38 Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bucky...Mike here from California. starting on my bucket list..Oh by the way, very sweet RS....nice job.....So i have had my Z28 for 28 years...i am ready to go crazy on it again..New steering Box, A arms, Bars,subframe connectors and braces, brakes..I have a set of Herb Adams Bars from the 80's, but i am thinking of putting an entire hotchkis TVS system so it matches. I came here for help and Bucky and Hotrod..thank you for your hospitality...i almost died last year at 51....The crazy high tech resto is on...Plan to keep the driveline original as it is numbers matching...Adding a new ignition and pulleys to the LT-1 and rebuilding the M-21 and rear end..Oh, I am doing the exhaust too..Yes that too..Headers to tailpipes...Any ideas ? Magna flow ? Flowmaster ? Thanks for your time. Now if i could figure out how to post a picture i would.. imagine Black with white stripes and black mesh enkeis.this old school guy will figure out how to post a picture pre resto .Oh and i am buying wheels and tires...Maybe 18' in back and 17" in front.Or 17"all around. I am on 15" rims now...i know , a lot of questions..i have been waiting years for this upgrade..Nearly dying and being paralyzed sealed the resto...it is on...i plan to redline my beast in all 4 gears again soon....

Last edited by bucketlist2011; 09-07-2011 at 11:53 AM.
post #5 of 38 Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hotrod Hood rat...thanks for the lead..i will pick the brain of Bucky as much as he will let me....
post #6 of 38 Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Mike, wow, 28 years!!! That is an accomplishment in itself, so I have to say congratulations on that feat. Thank you for the compliment on my 67, as it's been on hell of a rough road, but she's almost complete!!

Hotchkis does have a complete TVS system for 1st and 2nd Gen Camaro's, however, it does not come with rear leaf springs. So, if I were you, I'd make plans to replace those as well. I'm not sure when you plan to purchase, but I actually just received a 25% off discount in the mail from them. It expires at the end of this month, but 25% is a LOT!!! I'd be more than will to give you the discount code, just send me a PM.

For ignition, I would go with nothing but MSD, and that includes the distributor and the box. This is a good time to buy from MSD, as they have a nice rebate going on right now. I'm running their distributor and the MSD-6AL box with the SS Coil. I Love that set up, and never once had any ignition problems whatsoever.

For exhaust, I'm a fan of Hooker SuperComp Headers and Flowmasters. In fact, Flowmaster has a new muffler out that is the Super 44, and it has a nice deep, throaty, muscle sound to it. I bought mine as a full kit from Summit Racing and installed it myself, then took it to a muffler shop to have it tack welded. In my personal opinion, for old muscle cars, you can't beat the way Flowmasters sound! Since you're staying mostly stock, you really don't need 3" exhaust, so I would just run 2 1/2" exhaust with either a "H" or "X" pipe. If you were going to build it, and try to push anything over 450 horses, than I'd probably step up to 3" exhaust. My ONLY complaint to Flowmaster is; they don't offer a polished stainless steel exhaust system like MagnaFlow does, and that really bothers me.

Wheels and tires, I run a 18X9 1/2 on back of Jade and up front she wears 18X8. The wheels are from Jason Rushforth, and are a little pricey, but they are so NICE!!! For tires, I originally ran BF Goodrich KDW's, as you can see in the pictures. I really love the flame design, and the tires handle awesomely. For sizes, the fronts were 245/40ZR18 and the rears were 295/35/ZR18.

The only thing that is not Hotchkis Suspension on my car is the Competition Engineering Slide-A-Link bars that I have on back. Other than that, she is ALL Hotchkis!!!
post #7 of 38 Old 09-07-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bucky,

Thanks for all the info.Yes I am ready to go.

I will be getting help with the work, as I have had heart and brain issues. That is why the resto is on.

I have been given a second chance at life, so the wife is on board with the project as well.

I am floored by your offering the 25% off code. Yes , I am interested. I can purchase all the Hotchkis stuff this month...

Yes,I will be buying the rear leafs and the subframe connectors and under hood braces...Also the shocks, so my total should be a lot. 25% off would be awesome.Thank you.

Also I need to check different wheels....How pricey were yours if I may ask? With KDW's or Gatorbacks, I can afford more on the wheels. If I try to buy Goodyear F1's, my wheel pick will suffer...How are the KDW's ? I used to run Gatorbacks and they were great..

Also, I am running a comp cam valvetrain and pushing almost 400 hp...I may have to go with the larger exhaust. With the new headers, flowmasters , ignition and cooling set up, I hope to gain 10% or so....

Thanks for the info..we can talk soon about the code number.I will finish my Hotchkis list this week....

Also , Jade is crazy sweet looking.

I will e-mail you this week...

Thank you again...

From a Camaro guy for life....

Last edited by bucketlist2011; 09-07-2011 at 05:15 PM.
post #8 of 38 Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Have used several Hotchkis products on my 71' Firebird. Been happy with all of them.

Buzz
2010 Synergy Green 1LT

Last edited by Buzz; 09-07-2011 at 05:49 PM.
post #9 of 38 Old 09-07-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Buzz...

You guys are great. I am so excited to be doing this work.

The car has been sitting 10 years waiting for new suspension , and I stopped driving it because it wasn't fun anymore.

It used to drive like a Trans-Am race car.. I have a feeling it will again soon..
post #10 of 38 Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have to get a better picture up, but this is "The Beast" pre resto 2011/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page