Carb question - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
1st & 2nd Generation F-Body 1967-1969 / 1970-1981 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Carb question

I just installed a fresh 350 and quadrajet 4 barrel in my 71 RS. I was told by the engine guy to fill the bowl on the carb before trying to start it to prevent repeated cranking. What is the best way to fill the bowl? I thought there was a vent on top you could just put gas into and it would fill it but was not sure which hole to use to do this or if it's even possible. Alternatively I was thinking about gravity feeding some fuel into the line going to the carb but was hoping for some input on this.

If I put fuel in this hole will that fill the bowl?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carb fill.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	13539  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the site Rogera!!

You want to open the butterfly's on the carb and pour the fuel into there, but you only need to pour fuel in the front ones, not the back ones. But, be careful as too much will flood it out. If you have a mechanical pump, the only thing you really need to do is pump the pedal a few times.

I have removed and reinstalled my Holley HP several times and never once poured fuel directly into the carb. True it takes a couple of cranks for her to fire up, but nothing that will hurt your starter or drain your battery. I'm not exactly sure why your engine builder was worried about repeated cranking. Don't get me wrong, you don't want to hold the key for minutes on end, but let it crank for a few seconds while you pump the heck out of the gas pedal. Stop for a few minutes, then repeat. It won't take long for the fuel bowls to fill up and for her to fire.

Just my two cents.....
post #3 of 4 Old 05-08-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

His concern is with the flat tappet cam getting chewed on the cranks I guess. I know I can prime it directly into the throat but thought I remembered a way to fill the bowl from up top as well. I dunno, that's just what he suggested. I wouldn't think with the assembly lube it would hurt anything for the few cranks it would take but this was the break in directions I was given.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Well I have done many engine starts, and like bucky sayes it should not hurt it by cranking a few times. Do you have a mechanical fuel pump? If so then a few revloutions of the engine will fill up the bowl for you. Do you have a glass fuel filter in the inlet side of the carb, If you do just add some fuel to it by disconnecting it and pour some in and you will see the fuel going in. Have someone doing the cranking for you or hook a remote stater and do it your self...

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page