Black on Black 68 SS - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
1st & 2nd Generation F-Body 1967-1969 / 1970-1981 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-01-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Black on Black 68 SS

Ok, I've been so concentrated on the 5th Gen areas, I totally overlooked this part of the site.

Here's the scoop on my car......full size pics can be seen on my site.... http://www.bowtiebrigade.net

Browse to the gallery page and look for Nelson's 68 Camaro.

It started life as a 6 cyl trapped in a V-8 body that someone before me brought to life. When I got it, it was a 327 4 speed car already in black paint and black interior with a posi 12 bolt out back.

Once I took ownership, the drivetrain upgrades started one-by-one. First, I got a new TKO-600 5 speed that would be stout enough for whatever engine choices I decided later down the road. At the same time, the Wilwood front brakes were added along with all new stainless lines and the SSBC master cylinder. Once back from the shop, Youngblood's Performance Auto (919-773-7713). Had to give 'em a little plug there. I decided a little face-lift was in order. So, I let a local body shop do a little sanding and add some new clear coat. Good thing I had that Tremec, the owner decided to do a hole shot in his parking lot and destroyed the driveshaft and rear end yoke. Tranny held and is still shifting like new. It's still not as bad as this girls issue....

Check this out later, after you finish looking at mine. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1924211

Anyway, after the paint was all resolved, I drove many happy miles until a few high winding shifts most likely caused a valvetrain failure. After weighing the costs, it was more economical to pick up a GMPP crate 350. I decided this primarily on the coming 5th Gen purchase, so I didn't want to get too crazy. I'm still planning a head, cam and lifter upgrade in the future to push her to around 475HP.

Right now though, I'm having fun driving this car every pretty day that I can.

Oh, yeah, I added all new AutoMeter Phantom Series gauges in a Covan's Classis dash panel and console.

Enjoy......see you all around the boards..........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Supporter of common sense

Very nice !

Reminds me of the Better off Dead car

BTW - was she waiting to be spanked?

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #3 of 4 Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Very nice !

Reminds me of the Better off Dead car

BTW - was she waiting to be spanked?
THANKS!!

Yeah, I've actually spoken to the BODC owner on a few occasions and we thought the same thing.

Yeah, that's what it looked like......staff photographer did a good job with posing pics........

post #4 of 4 Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMY68SS View Post
THANKS!!

Yeah, I've actually spoken to the BODC owner on a few occasions and we thought the same thing.

Yeah, that's what it looked like......staff photographer did a good job with posing pics........
We spoke a few years back as well, just before his car was completed. He provided me with quite a few underbody shots we used for our floor replacement

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page