Modern Camaro Forums banner

Opinions on buying a 'Used 5th Gen'?

7K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Zabo 
#1 ·
Why did I start this thead? Well:

-Search didn't bring anything up so I guess it's time for one
-I've been pondering this since I got the bombshell of a price for a used Camaro
-I may pull the trigger and wanted to just get a 'Guide to buying a used 5th gen' going.

So that said; what are your opinions, thoughts, and just general peanut gallery comments on the practice.

Oh, and the car in question w/ my 2001 Exploder trade in: 2SS A6 stickering for 36K otd new; now with 6.5K miles for $34K and after trade..

$29.5K w/ all seasons included.

Off Topic:
I actually kinda jawdropped when they said Explorers are back in demand because so many got CFC'd last year. And mine actually is one of the lower mile ones in the area and now may trade for around 5-6K instead of 3K. :eek:

#2 ·
2K off of MSRP price and 6500 miles isn't a deal. I'd check around. But it's your call, obviously. Wouldn't be a bad thing if you can afford it and it's what you want.

#3 ·
I don't even think you can even get 2K off MSRP anyhow on one with 0mi, and with the car essentially broken in and the warranty extended. Granted as I said before, I'd be paying 29K out the door and probably haggle lower since it's not 'new' and dealt through DWC's new car dept. So I dunno; could be gone by the time I actually get around to pulling any triggers.

:shrug:

#9 ·
My advice is to WAIT just a bit longer and buy a new one. The supply is starting to catch up with demand, and soon, very soon, the Camaro will have some deals on it to keep them moving. That's just MY opinion. And the money you would pay in difference (about 2k or close to it) is possibly the amount of interest you'd save between a new car rate and a used car rate over the life of the loan. Plus you could start saving a few coins toward money down.

Unless you don't think your trade-in value will hold, and this is the EXACT car you want, I'd stop and think this through.

#12 · (Edited)
The trade in value argument is exactly it. Granted I could order a new one from them but like every dealer around they've maxed out what they can probably order with a sane wait. This particular dealer has at least 10 cars sitting on the lot including 2 V6 ABM cars. Not to mention GM stopped making my 2nd choice (ABM 1SS) and my first choice isn't going to be a reality any time soon (Synergy Green 1SS).

I'm going to wait regardless because I'm getting my dad to cosign on this one as a grad gift, but the thing is the warranty (Sandwiched fact. and GM Cert = 4 yr 48kmi), the fact that for the same price that I was going to order a 1SS I could find myself in a 2SS with an automatic, and that I don't have to deal with the local new sales people.

The only sane people I've probably work with were Scotty and the guys over at Denooyer in Kalamazoo. Not to mention GM did a number on the employee discount. :/

Again, it could just come down to haggling if you looked at the other area cars in similar condition. I can always walk away.

#13 ·
Well, the employee discount on approx 36,500 MSRP will save you about 1000 bucks right off the top. So, coupled with a lower interest rate, see what they'll do with a NEW car price? I guarantee that used car will cost as much or more by the time you're done. And if they'll give you XXX for your trade on a used car, they should still honor it on the new.

#14 ·
That looks sharp. It's an early(r) production as it doesn't have the ugly reverse sensors. Still, I would wait. The discount is just not worth it. When the 2011 Mustang comes out, there will be more options for used, and the new ones won't be as marked up or non-negotiable.

I'm sure you're just dying to have a 5th gen (as many of us are), but it's not smart to pull the trigger just to say you got one. Wait it out and it will be completely worth it. :cool:

#15 ·
True. Vin's in the 14s so it could be R6P which would be kinda weird. I probably will unless he can really bottom the price below 30K starting. And tossing a few printouts of autotrader at him could work; but I know this dealership.

I'll keep an eye on it for now.

#19 · (Edited)
The Carfax

06/12/09 Delivered w/ 8mi
07/09/09 Serviced w/ 881mi
09/30/09 Serviced w/ 981mi
11/09/09 Vehicle Offered for sale/traded w/ 6501mi
11/21/09 Vehicle Offered GM Cert. Used w/ 6909mi

The fact that the guy put over 4500mi in 1 month has me scratching my head when he had it delivered in June. :confused: Also it's been sitting for a good while so..

#21 ·
I can have them pull it up; it's in their computers and if they won't I can always go north to find a cheaper one with less miles. :rolleyes:

Not to mention I can split hairs about all this and probably get a good chunk taken out of the price. Got my books today so it's now a matter of refreshing/studying my arse off and taking my tests. Then that unusual concept that I can't quite grasp yet called a 'Job'..

Then maybe this Camaro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.