Modern Camaro Forums banner

AirAid CAI really that good? Maybe not...

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Warlock 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
If you look up Mucker15's install of the CAI intake that is how they designed it (is asked), the air is free flow from the front behind the headlight. I have the Airaid, but I did not dyno between the install and the tune. That reminds me I need to get down and dyno it again after all of that, pre intake & tune I had 360RWHP.

#6 · (Edited)
I was hoping to get the performance promised by the product out of the box. I didn't pay $300.00 to have to modify the product to make it work. :mad:

More information on the tests done below (taken from the previous link):

***We did a total of 9 pulls and all in 3rd gear. I had the stock box go first, all 3 pulls where higher than the last time I had it with the airaid. The airaid was next - hood opened to give it some extra giveme. Not happy. Pretty much same hp but -1 tq. Though throughout the band there were differences of -6/7 hp for the airaid. With the hood closed it was even worse! Why did I pay for something that gave me nothing?***

***My original dyno with the airaid only made 241hp with the hood closed. Now that I do a comparo it still only made 242 hood closed, then 253 with hood open when the stock box hood closed made 253. ON TOP OF THAT I took the time and money to do what no one else V6 wise has, and that is to compare Airaid vs Stock. I'm sure all your happy customers didn't just run out and get a dyno done afterwards. Its a placebo affect "oh wow, cai will give me more hp" shoot I fell into it. I'm sorry but I'm not happy with your product and I will not recommend it to anyone else. Proof is in my dyno graphs.***

The sad thing is that the airaid folks did not have an aswer for this.

#8 ·
when i did my intake (Late Model Racecraft) i saw a 10hp gain from stock and 15hp gain with the hood open.

i plan to remove the washer bottle and get either the ADM race intake or just the race intake pipe in hopes of getting that 15hp with the hood closed and a fan to simulate wind blowing into the front bumper.

#11 ·
would you have noticed if you got 5 hp to the wheels any ways? probably not. most intakes only give you about 13-18 hp and thats at the motor. and thats depending on the model v6 or v8.

#12 ·
yea whoever did the test that lost power wasn't thinking sraight, cuz when i read it over again, he was kinda contradicting himself...

fact o' the matter is - a cone filter will flow more air than the stock panel filter, and the unrestricted free-flowing pipe of an intake has less turbulent flow than the stock one with those wierd baffles on the side.

so flowing more air more efficiently is the key and anything with a straight tube and cone filter is better than the stock one :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.