Modern Camaro Forums banner

Bumblebee Paint

28K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Z28 Autobot 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was just wondering exactly what the paint job is on the bumblebee car, because I wanted to look into it for pricing and options. So basically I would like to know the basic coats. (I believe there are 4?) just so i can look in to it. Cus I am interested in creating this effect with my new camaro. So any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Possibly the name of this entire process or each steps name. Thanks alot.

#6 ·
yep.

Number of coats? What are you guys talking about?

Custom paint work is just that, custom. If GM does build some Bumblebee replica cars, my guess is they would be rolling off the assembly line in Oshawa with the others and get a production car type of paint job.
If the numbers are very small, they may farm it out to a supplier who may or may not do some custom paint work, if they go that route expect the price to be bumped accordingly :cool:

#7 ·
Why not just have Bumblebee yellow as a color, and make the stripes as options? 10k for a paint job is a lot.

#12 ·
I agree, there are lots of stock car colors out there that are pearl... My mustang was Sonic Blue Pearl Metallic and it didnt cost me any more for that color than red or black or any of the other ugly colors mustangs come in:

sometimes it looked purple, blue, and blue green... I know the paint has 3 pearls in it and a metallic. Paint code is SN.

Attachments

#8 ·
Warning: Picture of an import car inside. Proceed with caution.

They should be able to do a good pearl at a cheaper price. Time for a shameless Honda plug. Sorry guys.

This is my car:

It's a 2006 Honda Civic Si with a stock Fiji Blue Pearl paint job. Not a day goes by that someone doesn't compliment the color. Usually domestic owners, funny enough. This blue is freakish, it changes it's tone with the shifting light. It can look anywhere from teal and dark blue, to deep blue and dark purple. It's a high maintenance pain in my a$$ but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

If Honda of North America (it's a North American car only produced in Canada) can pull this and Habenero Red Pearl off and get the desired effect, GM should definitely be able to pull if off and do it even better. There's a Cadillac color I see from time to time in a whiteish pearl that I just love. One word of advice I can give to perspective pearl owners is find a good wax and keep it (P21S and Zaino work wonders). Wax makes these things look even better. It's just love.

P.S. If any of you are in the Hampton Roads area of VA and see this car, don't be afraid to honk and say "Hi." I'm all about the V8 sexiness. I won't race you though. It's pointless. Lol.

#10 ·
I like people who are car-lovers, no matter what they are. I've owned/driven so many cars/trucks that I love everything about them. Just wish my doctors had swapped me and Jay Leno at birth, so I could own all the ones I wanted... which is all of them. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.