Modern Camaro Forums banner

Exhaust?

8K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  yammyboy113 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am new here as well as a new owner of a 2011 2SS/RS Convertible with the GFX package. My question is do they make aftermarket exhaust that fit my car? It seems I have searched forever and cannot find any...they either fit the convertible and not the gfx or the gfx and not the convertible. Help please!

#5 ·
#6 ·
The spacing and braces on the convertible are different(so im told). As for the ground effects they are only compatible with certain tips due to the size. After making quite a few calls directly to companies I found out that flowmaster doesnt make an exhaust to directly fit a convertible with gfx. Corsa makes only one system. Borla has a few systems that fit but the tips are different for example, the atak system has a GFX specific system. Hope that helps the next person that comes across the same issue.

#7 ·
:agree:

Lil' more info...

I dealt with "trying" to install a Flowmaster American Thunder on my vert when I first got it in Feb 11'- didn't work so well... actually, impossible, is more the proper term.

FM makes several axle-back kits now that fit verts. gfx and non, Magnaflow just released their competition series cat-back for the vert w gfx and most other companies are compatible as well... F.M. is really the only one dragging their feet still...

as for issues of GFX/non GFX, the tips are the major factor, but there's also a hanger issue... I ended up with Magnaflow Comp Cat-Back last summer and had to have a muffler shop form the hangers to fit the non-GFX system to my GM GFX, appearantly they wouldn't line up correctly.

The tips themselves are a whole other issue, many systems just cut the pipes inside the bezels using the bezels to appear as a tip themselves, while other companies like the MBPR (sp????) have the rectangular tips which sit outside the bezel, this is important, as, I learned the hard way, when you start adding more HP and less air restriction, the fumes are hotter, and you can melt the rear diffuser if not placed properly... at the time, mine were flush with the bezels, looked great, but the melting and discoloration sucked.

I ended up fabricating a quad exhaust tip system with powder coated bezels... gotta be different.

Hope that helps!

One other thing, for what it's worth...

Due to the clearence restrictionsof the additional bracing on the vert, without going to after-market bracing, your not gonna exceed a 2.5" pipe... you may want to concider an axel-back system for 1/3 of the price, and swaping the "H-pipe" for an "X-pipe" for a few hundred dollars... save you $300-400 over buying a cat-back system in which your swapping 2.5" pipe for... well... 2.5" pipe. I didn't figure that out till it was too late.:thumbsup:

Kev

#9 ·
Solo makes an axel back and pretty sure they finished their cat-back system as well. I'm very pleased with the sound of the axel back on my vert and great people to work with. They also supply you with the tips for the ground effects. Here's a video of the axel back.

#11 ·
I didnt waste money on an axle back... i went with the muffler delete.. going to add shorties later.. not in the mood for long tubes on this car lol... on our converts they have some dampers before the mufflers.. i had problems with the original dampers and had them replaced by the dealer with some new and improved design.. car sounds great.. kinda quiet when not on it and sounds beast when foot down lol.. imo sounds better than that guys solo ^^^^.. imo..

#12 · (Edited)
I dont sell this Only trying to help a fellow camaro owner out.

check this out I just happen to come across it

2011 2012 2013 Camaro SS Convertible Stainless Works Exhaust Convertible Kit #CA11CONVKIT

This is my car:
Airaid CAI, Stainless Works 1 7/8" Headers, Stainless Works true 3" cat back with x pipe and performance mufflers, TCS 3200 Stall Converter, Custom Lashway Dyno Tune I have Quad Tips to fit the GFX

I HAVE A 2 STEP INSTALLED DURING THIS VIDEO

#14 ·
Its a lot cheaper to go to a (good) muffler shop and have them grab a pair of flowmasters or simular muffler, and have them fit (cut and bend the pipes) to your car with nice 4" chrome tips etc.... I paid about $350 to have that done on my SS.
It came out great and saved me about $400. from the axel back exhaust systems already made. They also cut out the resinators in the middle to add a little more sound. If you need more sound after that the cats need to come off.
This can all be done by a good muffler shop, and cheaper than the ready made exhaust.
Just an idea. good luck.

#16 ·
SO TRUE; I found out the hard way($$$). Started with the S-type Borla's axle backs. It really wasn't much more then the stock 'box mufflers'. After about a year and a half. I called Borla and spoke with Steve, he was great. Steve explained it this way; Factory has really 6 'mufflers, the cat's, the resonaters and then the muffler. With just axle backs you still have six. Thus the need for cat backs (California car). So I ordered the mid section, and it was all bolt on, no welds needed. So, after approx. $1400.00 bucks I got an expensive education.
GO with ROCKER'S advice, not name brand brake $& muffler shop if possible. I'm pretty sure if you look around for a 'Mom & Pop' Family owned muffler shop, it will save you.... in my case a grand....
CPOBOATS...

#17 ·
I went with the Gibson cat back with the X mid pipe system for my vert. I did not want to loud of an exhaust. Im also running BBK shorties and stock cats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.