This is really starting to bother me... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
3rd Generation F-Body 1982-1992 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-06-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy This is really starting to bother me...

Okay, well went to the races last night and I always see a few Thirdgen RS's parked in the lot and I found a '92 purple haze RS, 305tbi car there with 86k miles, met the guy, he was from Rockford. Watched him leave and he hauled ass. Call me crazy but I was impressed with how quick the car was, and it was stock except for exhaust. So I talked to my friends brother and dad after the race (they own and race an ASA latemodel there) and I was asking them about what could be wrong with my car. They told me that when the throttle body was put back on, they probably did something wrong, I guess it's a step-by-step process that needs to be done carefully, especially with all the sensors with EFI. So I go to the strip tonight, of course, a lot of '91-92 RS tbi cars racing around.

I got bored came home, went to drive my car around, and it's killing as soon as I hit the brakes to stop at every stop sign, and the car shakes when it's accelerating... would this be because it's out of tune, or because the motor is getting too much fuel? Its pretty quick off the line, and once it gets past 3k rpms it doesn't want to do a **** thing and I let off so it can shift.

So I'm thinking I have a distributor/sensor issue. Maybe the Air temp sensor in the intake is one of the problems. So I park the car in the garage, open the hood, let it run and start reving it. I hear the loudest noise, it's like a gunshot, and the cap screw on the top of the air intake flys off and the whole air intake comes off. So I turn it off put it back on, screw the cap on tight, and try reving it again. The same thing happens. What is going on here!? I want my RS to be decently fast like all the one's I keep running into, but I seem to have a car plagued with problems. It bothers me to go to the strip and see a ton of good running tbi cars being beat to hell, because I have a car that was obviously beat to hell by it's last owners and I know just what that does to a motor. So, anyways, I need help... again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-06-2009, 10:57 PM

Could it be out of time and backfiring?

2SS RS M6 Rally Yellow Black Hockies
post #3 of 18 Old 06-06-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

The car won't even start unless the timing cable is unplugged. It definitley has issues with the timing. It was carb'd when I bought it and we had a shop switch it back to tbi. I think it has an old school non efi distributor on it, so I'll have to change it. I think that would take care of a lot of the problems. But I still don't know if it's the right throttle body, it has "350" written on the side of it in marker. Maybe the car is just getting way to much fuel under hard acceleration.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Doesn't sound like too much fuel. Sounds like WAY too much advance. I agree about the dist. Get the right dist. on it, then have a look at the ignition timing. It sound to me like Mr. Shadetree, the previous owner, knew just enough to make himself dangerous.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

The problem is not that it was ran hard, it seems that it simply wasn't taken care of. All the rednecks immediately want to rip the EFI off and slap a carb on there. You went wrong with having a shop slap the TBI back on.

What you need to do is get on thirdgen.org and explain this problem. They will probably tell you to just rip the TBI back off and put another carb on. Just research and see what all you need for the TBI system. You might even be able to find someone who removed theirs so you can get the correct parts for your exact car and specific steps for the Camaro setup. I am sure that would be 100-times more info that the shop had that put your TBI on.

I really don't know a lot about TBI stuff, but your throttle body is more than likely off a truck. I don't know if that would screw anything up with the computer or anything, but again, you will be able to find this out on thirdgen.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #6 of 18 Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I didn't go wrong with swapping back to EFI. This is a daily driver, or was going to be, and I needed mpg's, not hp. I got 8mpg with the 650cfm carb on it, now I get 27mpg.

I was banned at Thirdgen.org.

So what now? Lol... I really think it's a distributor/sensor problem, throttle body injection is so simple that it's hard to get wrong. The computer and all the sensors were still in the car, just unplugged and laying there. All they had to do is buy a tbi unit and matching manifold, install it, plug in the computer and sensors, and tune it. That's exactly what they did, and they also replaced my fuel pump because the old one in the car was shot. The one thing they didn't do is change the distributor, which needs to be an efi distributor, that's what's making it so slow.

Last edited by HBZ28; 06-07-2009 at 07:57 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-07-2009, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

You know, if I still have problems with this motor after I've tried everything, it wouldn't be hard to yank my 305 out and put another one in it. Probably cost me no more than $600 for the motor and swap. I'd be starting all over, new harnesses, wiring, computer, complete swap, and I'd junk the motor that's in it.

I'm dead set on only having a 305tbi in that car. I'm restoring it, not making it run 10 second 1/4 miles.

post #8 of 18 Old 06-08-2009, 12:03 AM

you got banned from thirdgen
You were impressed by a 305 tbi camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBZ28 View Post
I didn't go wrong with swapping back to EFI. This is a daily driver, or was going to be, and I needed mpg's, not hp. I got 8mpg with the 650cfm carb on it, now I get 27mpg.

So what now? Lol... I really think it's a distributor/sensor problem, throttle body injection is so simple that it's hard to get wrong. The computer and all the sensors were still in the car, just unplugged and laying there. All they had to do is buy a tbi unit and matching manifold, install it, plug in the computer and sensors, and tune it. That's exactly what they did, and they also replaced my fuel pump because the old one in the car was shot. The one thing they didn't do is change the distributor, which needs to be an efi distributor, that's what's making it so slow.

Last edited by firechicken; 06-08-2009 at 12:06 AM.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-08-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Not my fault. People there are a-holes and I lashed out at one of them. I got a warning, made a new account to get people off my back and for a fresh start, and got the ban hammer for having two accounts. I was done.

TBI Camaro's kick ***. Better than crappy LS1's. Sound better, get better mileage (at least I am), more reliable... the whole deal.

post #10 of 18 Old 06-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I didn't say you went wrong with swapping it back to EFI, I just said that people will tell you that you were.

None the less, with this statement:

Quote:
Not my fault. People there are a-holes and I lashed out at one of them. I got a warning, made a new account to get people off my back and for a fresh start, and got the ban hammer for having two accounts. I was done.

TBI Camaro's kick ***. Better than crappy LS1's. Sound better, get better mileage (at least I am), more reliable... the whole deal.
This one makes more sense:

Quote:
You're an ignorant kid. Maybe you'll grow out of it. You're on your own from here.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page