tailshaft/torque arm R/R problem - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
3rd Generation F-Body 1982-1992 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2009, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

tailshaft/torque arm R/R problem

Hey guys, I posted this up at thirdgen.org and the lt1/ls1 thirdgen site and a chevy talk site, but want to post here as I am open ears/eyes to anyone who can help. Thank you!
------------------------------------

I did an hour of searching, found some info here and there, but not what I was looking for. Most answers consisted of, 'remove the 4 bolts. Ok, fair, but I have 3 bolts and 1 nut (no nut jokes please) and I'm stuck on how to get this off. I am mechanically inclined as I built a camaro from the ground up including the engine. I just am not sure if even a crows foot would fit on this nut in the space.

The trans in a TH350, non-lockup. I put in the transgo 350-3 manual kit and it appears the previous owner of the transmission broke the housing for the speedo gear. It is not the bullet type housing so I need to take the tail shaft off to see how many teeth are on the gear so that I order the right housing.

Thanks in advance guys, its much appreciated!

bottom of trans, can see the nut there where I can't turn the 9/16" wrench to save my life.

another shot of the bottom of trans showing the nut.

Top bolt that appears to not be able to come out until the bottom nut pictured above comes off.

transmission is going in this car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Just a thought, going by the pictures you've posted, are you able to cut the shank off the bolt and pull the nut and remaining threads through the hole on the nut side?

Someone must have really had some dexterous hands to have pulled that type of install off!

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
post #3 of 6 Old 06-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

post #4 of 6 Old 06-13-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

SSRS- I appreciate the thought, I tried a ratcheting wrench on there, unfortunately I can not fit one over the nut.

89RS- You got it, I was puzzled on how they did it. All I can think is they put the nut on and bracket, then put the speedo gear housing in and the hold down from up under the torque arm bracket. I was all

I think I am going to try that cutting off the shank off the bolt.

I went to a trans shop here and showed him the pics, hes like 'what the' never seen that before.

Thank you for the input guys! Now that I think about it, I'll see if I can grind a wrench down with enough material left in the wrench to see if i can get clearance to turn the nut. If not, I'll be cutting at the bolt/nut. This bolt/nut had me
post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I was able to move the speedogear housing just enough to get the nut off. Glad I took the tail-housing off, found the gear on the tail shaft was misaligned and had a couple teeth that were chipped off on the ends.41 tooth count, time to order the new housing
post #6 of 6 Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

rear output shaft/gear mesh issue now?

*EDIT* - when I turn the rear output shaft, It feels tight, but then the speedo-gear turns and the most front input shaft turns as well. But then, turning the most front input shaft by hand, the rear shaft and speedo gear does not turn. Normal?

Ok, I figured out how to get the rear housing off, took some dexterity and finger cramping... but the drive and driven gear were replaced.

I noticed with the rear housing in place, but not fully tightened I could turn the front, very front input shaft (smaller diameter) and the rear output shaft would turn as well. I could also see the end of the speedometer/driven gear spinning inside the gear housing.

Now, when I torqued down the Rear Housing, and turned the front shaft, the rear output shaft no longer turned, the speedo gear no longer turned.

I took the housing off, the gears looked fine, the drive gear was still in place with the clip on the shaft. I put the housing back on, and noticed that when torqued down again, the speedo gear would not turn, and the rear output shaft would not turn. I untorqued the hardware again, and noticed that at a certain point of having the housing about a 1/16 - 1/8 inch off the trans on one side that the rear output shaft and speedo gear would start to turn again.

So, now that I'm stumped, what am I doing wrong here if anything? When torque down should that rear output shaft be turning when turning the front shaft?

Thanks ahead of time!!

Pic below shows the gap that allows the rear output shaft to rotate.

Last edited by resinlake; 06-22-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page