Plans for your 3rd gens? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
3rd Generation F-Body 1982-1992 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Plans for your 3rd gens?

This section needs to wake up

Anyone have any plans for their third gens? Mine needs paint and im getting ready to install a cam

seems like this section died after HB started posting in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 06-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I've got a resto/mod planned for my 89 RS. I'm torn on the powertrain and drivetrain though.

I either want to mod the hell out of my 305tbi and have a 334tbi when I'm done with a Hughes 700R4 and built 10 bolt rear or an LS7 modded with a M6 short throw and Dana S60 rear.

The 334 leaves me to reuse alot of what I already have, but the LS7 is so much better I just can't say no to the idea.

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
post #3 of 54 Old 06-18-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

even at 334ci its still smaller than a 350, you already know what idea i like better . i dont think ive seen an ls7 thirdgen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89RS View Post
Well, I've got a resto/mod planned for my 89 RS. I'm torn on the powertrain and drivetrain though.

I either want to mod the hell out of my 305tbi and have a 334tbi when I'm done with a Hughes 700R4 and built 10 bolt rear or an LS7 modded with a M6 short throw and Dana S60 rear.

The 334 leaves me to reuse alot of what I already have, but the LS7 is so much better I just can't say no to the idea.

post #4 of 54 Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

334 Stroker > 350

My plans:

Goal - high 13s.
post #5 of 54 Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 PM

Well I bought a disc brake rear end from a 87 IROC for mine. Also have new stainless steel brake lines for the rear end and a new ss fuel line when they send another one. First fuel line came in a 4 foot box. Line was folded and cramed (sp) into the box. I probably looked like a kid that his candy stolen when I opened the box.
post #6 of 54 Old 06-22-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_Adam View Post
334 Stroker > 350

My plans:

Goal - high 13s.

how are 334 cubic inches better than 350 cubic inches?

you dont need to spend all the money on building a stroker out of an inferior motor to get almost as many cubic inches as a factory 350 motor when your goal is only high 13's.

are you DEAD set of building that 305? you sound like HBZ28

im just offering advice, but if you want to spend alot of $$$$ on building a 305 when you could spend a few hundred on a 350 block thats up to you.
post #7 of 54 Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 PM

I agree with firechicken. Craigslist has 383's everynow and then for 1500. With the economy the way it is lots of racers are getting out. Great bargains to be had.
post #8 of 54 Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 AM

Paint, switching to black interior. I've got a LQ4 block on the engine stand and t-56 sitting around for it. But all this happens after I get my 5th gen.
post #9 of 54 Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Banned

I picked up a disc brake rear from a 99 T/A for mine...I gotta tell you though...The more I look at it in pieces the more I'm not sure if I wanna keep it. I may just start parting it out and bank the $ to get something better. I dunno...
post #10 of 54 Old 06-24-2009, 04:39 AM

My 91 Z28 vert doesn't need a lot, I just replaced the heater core a couple weeks ago. I also replaced the pass. side window motor, and have to do the driver's side yet.

My 88 TransAm GTA on the other hand...has low oil PSI and knocks. It only had about 30k miles on a rebuild, so I'm gonna pull it out and rebuild the bottom end of it. It currently has TPI, and was converted to the 91-92 MAP management system. It will be a carb'd 305 going back in, Holly 600 CFM with an intake I have not yet decided on, and a pretty big cam for it to get that lopey idle and more power. May take the original 0416 head castings and port them out and add bigger intake valves if possible. Trying to do this on a REAL budget, not the fake ones car mags seem to always have in them, hey build this 400hp 350 for ONLY $3K!!! Yeah, like everyone has that lying around to spare. The carb was $20 from my neighbor, the cam/lifter kit is $90 through Summit, along with a 2 piece timing chain cover, the timing chain is a Zoom! piece that I got at a swap meet for $20 new. The distributor will likely be a reman or used one. I have a set of blue Taylor wires on my cert, they are there cuz I got them for free at a yard and are fine. May swap out the stock replacement wires on the GTA with the ones on the vert to get better ignition in the GTA since it will need it and the Z28 is all stock.

That car is gonna be a screamer when I'm done. And it's a 5 speed, which makes it even more fun. Coupled with the GTA digital dash and t tops, and I'm gonna have a lot of fun with that car....once the motor is fixed and built.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page