BORLA cat back exhaust on 3rd gen.... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
3rd Generation F-Body 1982-1992 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-07-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

BORLA cat back exhaust on 3rd gen....

I have installed several cat back systems on GM iron, including a BORLA cat back on my wifes old 2000 R/A TA.

Fast forward to this year. I purchased a Borla cat back for a mothers day gift for my wifes current play vehicle, a 1990 IROC convertible. When I opened the box I knew this thing wasnt going to fit well, and after mocking it up, it confirmed my opinion.
I just paid Stans Headers 500.00 + to cut and either re weld or remake every F'in part of this thing so it would come close to fitting. I also had to pay for the ball flange fitting that connected the cat back to a cat.

I am linking this post to BORLA in the hope that they actually compensate me for the work and material I had to pay a quality shop to make their parts fit the aplication they advertised them to fit. Keep in mind I have emailed them several times over the last two months regarding this issue. All I got from them was BS.

This is my experience with BORLA, hope you fellas dont encounter the same problem. Your checking account might have red ass just like mine. 1300.00 for a cat back, pathetic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-15-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCDave View Post
I have installed several cat back systems on GM iron, including a BORLA cat back on my wifes old 2000 R/A TA.

Fast forward to this year. I purchased a Borla cat back for a mothers day gift for my wifes current play vehicle, a 1990 IROC convertible. When I opened the box I knew this thing wasnt going to fit well, and after mocking it up, it confirmed my opinion.
I just paid Stans Headers 500.00 + to cut and either re weld or remake every F'in part of this thing so it would come close to fitting. I also had to pay for the ball flange fitting that connected the cat back to a cat.

I am linking this post to BORLA in the hope that they actually compensate me for the work and material I had to pay a quality shop to make their parts fit the aplication they advertised them to fit. Keep in mind I have emailed them several times over the last two months regarding this issue. All I got from them was BS.

This is my experience with BORLA, hope you fellas dont encounter the same problem. Your checking account might have red ass just like mine. 1300.00 for a cat back, pathetic.
That sucks! Good luck to you! I paid $25 for a used set of headers, $50 for the Y pipe and $250 for my Flowmaster catback... total cost of my full exhaust, less than $500... lol.

post #3 of 15 Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 PM

Well, if you can't have a fast car at least it can sound fast. Thought you had a magnaflow? Either way it won't make much of a differance on the tbi 305.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Made my own exhaust from scratch. Cost me less than $200

~Travis~
90 RS-383HSR, T56, NX wet kit
01 LB7 Chevy 2500 4x4. Programmer, 3" lift on 35s
post #5 of 15 Old 07-22-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdgenrallysport View Post
Made my own exhaust from scratch. Cost me less than $200
Not stainless though right? What muffler did you use?
post #6 of 15 Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Why didn't you send it back to Borla or where you bought it from so that they could make it right? At the very least, you should have called their tech department to confirm part numbers and such.

While I've never personally owned a Borla system, I sold them for almost 4 years when I worked for Keystone. They are very high quality, and I know the third gen guys raved about the system, especially for its ability to change the plates.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #7 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken View Post
Not stainless though right? What muffler did you use?
two dynomax bullet mufflers.

~Travis~
90 RS-383HSR, T56, NX wet kit
01 LB7 Chevy 2500 4x4. Programmer, 3" lift on 35s
post #8 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 02:08 PM

I've got the GMMG exhaust on my 3rd gen and love the sound!

Travis
1992 25th Anniversary Heritage Edition Camaro RS Vert
2002 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro SS
post #9 of 15 Old 07-26-2009, 02:59 AM

USUALLY BORLA SYSTEMS ARE PRETTY WELL ENGINERED.. MAYBE THEY SEnt u a system for a 4th gen or something..

im a fan of my hooker cat-back system.

my 1987 IROC-Z
http://www.freewebs.com/IROCZman15

i want a 5th gen badddddd
post #10 of 15 Old 07-26-2009, 10:16 AM

Did you post this twice?

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page