Need 3rd Generation Help - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
3rd Generation F-Body 1982-1992 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Need 3rd Generation Help

Hey guys new here, I'm about to buy an 88 w/a5.0 motor but it does not have ac only heat. I was wondering where I can find an air condition unit for the car. Is there a specific website I could buy one for this car at?

Thanks Alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

did the car come originally w/ AC? if not, there's more to it than just installing an AC "unit"...best bet would be to find a parts/donor car to strip. Lots of parts...compressor, condenser, brackets, pulleys, plumbing, wiring, switches etc. Might be easier to just buy a different one that has AC to begin with or at least use this as a bargaining tool to get the price down (and just drive with the windows down).

If it has the AC setup and just needs a new compressor, you're local autoparts store should be able to get one for you.

BTW....welcome.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 10-07-2009 at 11:12 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
did the car come originally w/ AC? if not, there's more to it than just installing an AC "unit"...best bet would be to find a parts/donor car to strip. Lots of parts...compressor, condenser, brackets, pulleys, plumbing, wiring, switches etc. Might be easier to just buy a different one that has AC to begin with or at least use this as a bargaining tool to get the price down (and just drive with the windows down).

If it has the AC setup and just needs a new compressor, you're local autoparts store should be able to get one for you.

BTW....welcome.

The guy isn't the original owner but he told me it didn't come with AC stock, the thing is there isn't many Camaros around where I live and I have wanted a 3rd Generation for awhile now. Its in very good condition w/mods on it.

I'm not to concerned about the AC myself but the girlfriend isn't to thrilled with the fact if she wants to drive in it it won't have AC lol.

Any idea how much it would cost to get all the parts.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshawker View Post
The guy isn't the original owner but he told me it didn't come with AC stock, the thing is there isn't many Camaros around where I live and I have wanted a 3rd Generation for awhile now. Its in very good condition w/mods on it.

I'm not to concerned about the AC myself but the girlfriend isn't to thrilled with the fact if she wants to drive in it it won't have AC lol.

Any idea how much it would cost to get all the parts.
if you bought all the parts new, I'm sure it's not gonna be cheap. Here's a link to a conversion kit to put AC in a first gen, not sure it'll work on the 3rd gen or if they make one like it for a 3rd gen. Check out ebay...might get lucky...or just tell the girlfriend to drive with the windows down.

http://www.belairbobs.com/inc/sdetail/1015

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
post #5 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
if you bought all the parts new, I'm sure it's not gonna be cheap. Here's a link to a conversion kit to put AC in a first gen, not sure it'll work on the 3rd gen or if they make one like it for a 3rd gen. Check out ebay...might get lucky...or just tell the girlfriend to drive with the windows down.

http://www.belairbobs.com/inc/sdetail/1015

lol, I told her that last night and she just gave me this look, I'm most sure alot of you guys have seen those looks as well at some point.

Thanks for the website might get the parts list and go pull them off at the junk yard
post #6 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshawker View Post
lol, I told her that last night and she just gave me this look, I'm most sure alot of you guys have seen those looks as well at some point.

Thanks for the website might get the parts list and go pull them off at the junk yard
If you can find one at a junkyard with all the parts, that's the way to go. There's a lot of parts and a lot of work to install. If it were my car/girlfriend, I wouldn't bother.

Quote:

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 10-07-2009 at 11:46 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Roll down your windows
post #8 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Hawks third gen may have what you're looking for. They sell new and used parts, and even have a F-Body graveyard.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #9 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 01:10 PM

If the car has a true A/C delete box i'd be willing to trade all the A/C components from my 91 TBI parts car for it.

91 Camaro
LS1/T56 Swap in progress.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 PM

I'm willing part with all of my a/c stuff. The only thing that is missing are the lines but i have everything else. It's gonna all be coming out when I pop in my ls1 anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page