Why did you buy a third gen? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
3rd Generation F-Body 1982-1992 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 11-29-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Why did you buy a third gen?

The first time you bought a third gen, why did you do it?

I was pretty broke, but needed a car, It had to be RWD, Manual, and v8. Noto to many options out there for 1000. So I looked on craigslist for Months, I went and looked at some pretty ratty cars, v6's even. Until one day a car was posted without a picture, 1986 firebird, 305, 5 spd, body in great shape, hardtop, and good interior. So I went to look at it and sure enough it was everything the guy told me, it wouldnt start so I went and bought a battery, he took that out of the asking price and I drove it home.
So anyway I got the car for $950. I put some different wheels on it, and some t/a tail lights. It was pretty gutless, as most 305's are, but it was a fun car, felt faster than it was.

its long gone now, but Ive had a third gen ever since

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Loooooooooooooooon story short, I couldn't find a Fox Body Mustang that was reasonably priced. I grew up wanting a v8, 5 speed muscle car and I when I bought my Z28 I knew I wasn't going to keep it long. I put a lot of money into it, and I actually regret buying it.... I outgrew the 305/auto is about a month or 2. All I did after that was dump money into a car that didn't look like it needed any!

After that I bought a '88 T/A GTA. A 355tpi and some other goodies, but it ended up being a fluke and I sold it for about $1000. I used that money to get my Z28's tranny fixed and I was so fed up with the Fbodies that I almost took a loan out for a Fox.

I had a lot of fun with the fbodies in highschool. Snow drifting in the school lots and practicing my burnouts on back roads. I'll be buying another one soon enough, or 2 or 3.

Last edited by 80s_Adam; 11-29-2009 at 03:16 PM.
post #3 of 41 Old 11-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

I was in high school and living in Central PA. Mullets and IROCs go together like peanut butter and jelly.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28

post #4 of 41 Old 11-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

I simply wanted a new car. My dad had shown me pre-pro pics of the new 82 Camaro when I was home on leave and as soon as I could, I ordered one sight unseen. Dark metallic blue Z28 with T-tops, velour, loaded out. Only thing I hated about it was the goofy console analog clock. Besides it not having very much power. I had the dealer put on the metal "shadow" louvers in the back before I picked it up. At the time it was cool. Super expensive for me at $13K and change out the door, but by God, I was going to own it. And own it I did.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #5 of 41 Old 11-29-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

i was looking for a fox at the time too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_Adam View Post
Loooooooooooooooon story short, I couldn't find a Fox Body Mustang that was reasonably priced. I grew up wanting a v8, 5 speed muscle car and I when I bought my Z28 I knew I wasn't going to keep it long. I put a lot of money into it, and I actually regret buying it.... I outgrew the 305/auto is about a month or 2. All I did after that was dump money into a car that didn't look like it needed any!

After that I bought a '88 T/A GTA. A 355tpi and some other goodies, but it ended up being a fluke and I sold it for about $1000. I used that money to get my Z28's tranny fixed and I was so fed up with the Fbodies that I almost took a loan out for a Fox.

I had a lot of fun with the fbodies in highschool. Snow drifting in the school lots and practicing my burnouts on back roads. I'll be buying another one soon enough, or 2 or 3.

post #6 of 41 Old 11-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Since I've had both a Camaro and T/A, I'm not sure that this time around I want to buy a nice one or buy a Fox, I can't decide. I've been wanting a fox for almost 5 years now, and pretty soon I'm going to splurge.
post #7 of 41 Old 11-29-2009, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_Adam View Post
Since I've had both a Camaro and T/A, I'm not sure that this time around I want to buy a nice one or buy a Fox, I can't decide. I've been wanting a fox for almost 5 years now, and pretty soon I'm going to splurge.
Go fox body with an LSX

post #8 of 41 Old 11-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

Mine was a hand-me-down car. So i never actually bought it.

~Travis~
90 RS-383HSR, T56, NX wet kit
01 LB7 Chevy 2500 4x4. Programmer, 3" lift on 35s
post #9 of 41 Old 11-30-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken View Post
The first time you bought a third gen, why did you do it?

I was pretty broke, but needed a car, It had to be RWD, Manual, and v8. Noto to many options out there for 1000. So I looked on craigslist for Months, I went and looked at some pretty ratty cars, v6's even. Until one day a car was posted without a picture, 1986 firebird, 305, 5 spd, body in great shape, hardtop, and good interior. So I went to look at it and sure enough it was everything the guy told me, it wouldnt start so I went and bought a battery, he took that out of the asking price and I drove it home.
So anyway I got the car for $950. I put some different wheels on it, and some t/a tail lights. It was pretty gutless, as most 305's are, but it was a fun car, felt faster than it was.

its long gone now, but Ive had a third gen ever since

For less then $1000? Looks like you got an awesome ride for the price.

I've never owned a 3rd gen, but I will some day. Growing up watching Knight Rider, I always what to build Kit. When I was a senior in HS, I used to go to dealers and test drive cars for fun. I drove an 88 Iroc that had a 305 in it. Loved the looks, the handling, but was very disappointed in the power. I felt like my Lumina Euro could have dusted it.

Current Rides
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
2004 GMC Sierra Z71 regular cab short bed. 5.3 V8
Past Rides
1991 Lumina Euro Coupe, 1994 Lumina Z34, 1997 Buick LeSabre, 2001 Camaro SS, 2006 Monte Carlo SS
post #10 of 41 Old 12-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Z7106MCSS10CSS View Post
For less then $1000? Looks like you got an awesome ride for the price.

I've never owned a 3rd gen, but I will some day. Growing up watching Knight Rider, I always what to build Kit. When I was a senior in HS, I used to go to dealers and test drive cars for fun. I drove an 88 Iroc that had a 305 in it. Loved the looks, the handling, but was very disappointed in the power. I felt like my Lumina Euro could have dusted it.
I'm the same. Currently looking and might pick one up before the year is out of things go my way. At first I was always a 2nd Gener, until I actually drove an 88 Base Firebird Coupe with a 383 TPI transplant. Whole car literally shook.

If it wasn't for the poor overall condition of the electronics; I'd have picked it up. Since then I've always loved me those "Turd Gens". Such simplistic and capable starter vehicles.

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page