Camaro is finally a project!!! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
3rd Generation F-Body 1982-1992 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 12-05-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Camaro is finally a project!!!

Got a new daily driver...

Took the Camaro out two Friday's ago for the last time in a long time...

Spent Friday night, Saturday and a little bit of Sunday taking out the interior. Removed all the seats, plastic panels, trim, headliner, carpet, all that's left now is the dash and counsole. Reason I'm doing all this is I'm getting it ready to be painted, I'm going to actually paint it red, not teal. Buying primer and paint today, I'm just doing the metal on the inside of the car for now. My neighbor and I spent a few hours taping everything off and masking the wiring up and tonight the inside of my car will be "flame red". I wanted everything to be red, even the things you don't see. It's only costing me an extra $30 and a few hours. Want to do this right the first time.

I'm working in Madison now, so I've got money coming in, but since the interior and all the soundproofing is all removed, I'm not sure when it will be back on the road!

I've also got a ton of the automotive plastic spray paint people are using to convert their interiors to different colors. I'm converting mine from grey to red!!! I've got a buddy of mine who has done it to numerous Thirdgens helping so mine turns out just as great as his all did. I still need to get money together for a red headliner, seat upholstry, carpet, seatbelts, and visors. That's all I need to complete the conversion.

Pics:

Last edited by HBZ28; 12-06-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

The goal:

post #3 of 51 Old 12-05-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Also doing some cool extra things, we spent some time today wiring up footwell courtesy lights like what the Iroc-z's had, so now my car will have them, too. There will also be a seperate switch under the seat so that I can turn them on while I'm driving, kind of like accent lighting. It's pretty easy because the panels under the dash already have the cutout for the light, all we need now is the yellow lense and to finish wiring the switch.

Right now I'm looking for some crappy rims and tires to use for a week to put on my car so I can ship my 16x8's out to Detroit, MI to get stripped and straightened/refinished/reclearcoated and have them paint on the red trim and get a new set of OE centercaps.

Last edited by HBZ28; 12-05-2009 at 11:58 PM.

post #4 of 51 Old 12-06-2009, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Next year, provided I still have a job, a new 700r4, new tires, minor engine work, supsension work, alarm and sound system and weatherstripping will complete the job and my car will be done!!!

Mint '92 RS that runs and drives just the way it did when it was new.

post #5 of 51 Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

What happened to the T-5 you said you had in your garage?
post #6 of 51 Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_Adam View Post
What happened to the T-5 you said you had in your garage?
Sold. It was going to be way to much work and they are too easy to break. Launch them a few times and you're done. That's how I am funding my work now.

post #7 of 51 Old 12-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

A T-5 Swap isn't hard if you have all the parts and I doubt you could bust one up with your 305 unless you really wanted to.

I'm not even being a dick here, but it's not like you have 350 torque killing that T-5 man.
post #8 of 51 Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_Adam View Post
A T-5 Swap isn't hard if you have all the parts and I doubt you could bust one up with your 305 unless you really wanted to.

I'm not even being a dick here, but it's not like you have 350 torque killing that T-5 man.
You didn't come off as being a dick lol. I know that. I had a change of heart as well. I was really liking the smoothness of my 700r4. I'll have a manual Thirdgen someday, but it'll be a T-56, just so I feel a little better when I am beating on the car lol.

The other thing was I didn't have all the parts, and I needed a good $5-600 more just to get it in there. I can pick up a low mile 700r4 replacement for $300 and put it in there for just about free.

Last edited by HBZ28; 12-06-2009 at 01:13 AM.
post #9 of 51 Old 12-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

So are you planning to up the power to a 350 crate later on or keeping the 305 as is?

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
post #10 of 51 Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBZ28 View Post
You didn't come off as being a dick lol. I know that. I had a change of heart as well. I was really liking the smoothness of my 700r4. I'll have a manual Thirdgen someday, but it'll be a T-56, just so I feel a little better when I am beating on the car lol.

The other thing was I didn't have all the parts, and I needed a good $5-600 more just to get it in there. I can pick up a low mile 700r4 replacement for $300 and put it in there for just about free.
I wish I had some videos of it, but when I got my car back from the tranny shop, it was insane how fun it was to drive for what it was. That's the way I like my auto/v8 cars but if you like smoothness than oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page