LT1 swap... worth the trouble? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
3rd Generation F-Body 1982-1992 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-10-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

LT1 swap... worth the trouble?

I've recently kind of had this idea of buying another RS someday, 91-92 hardtop, keeping it looking stock, maybe a lowering kit at the most, but pulling the 305 and throwing in a rebuilt LT1 with a really mild cam, exhaust, intake, all that, but actually carbing the motor, and making it look like a 305tbi, that way I could fool people and have them left scratching their heads. I'd probably bolt the LT1 up to a T56 transmission and put a nice 4.10 gear in the back for some **** good acceleration.

After doing some research, I've found that it IS possible to carb an LT1, there are kits from GM that you can use to do it with, so you can convert the motor to run with an H.E.I dizzy in the standard location. But I've found more information that leads me to believe installing an LT1 in any Thirdgen F-body is a complete pain in the ass, especially if you want power steering or A/C.

Anybody have any experience with this?

I was thinking of even putting a 305 snorkel aircleaner on the top just to add that extra "305 look alike" touch except I think I'd mod the aircleaner to have a tpi intake into some tubing, then fed into the front of the cleaner, like this:

I was thinking that car could be a serious money maker, it would just look like a kiddy car, you know the Camaro's you see out on the strip getting beat to ****... we do a lot of racing for money in my area, this would be a very nice sleeper...

Last edited by HBZ28; 12-10-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

You change your mind a lot don't you?
post #3 of 25 Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_Adam View Post
You change your mind a lot don't you?
Yeah, I do, but after further consideration, I think LS2's suck

Not really, but I think they are over priced, and even with them quiet, they don't sound anything like a 305 lol. And I'm not sure that you can carb them, or it you can, how cheap it would be lol. Plus, installing an LS2 in a Thirdgen would be a B*TCH...

I mean an LS2 and a comprable T56 for one would run like 6k, at least, not including installing it. You could have an LT1 in there running the same power with mods for that price.

I don't change my mind as to the body of the car it's going into, it's always been a hardtop 91-92 RS, but the motor has always been kind of a "I want this, I want that" kind of deal lol. By the time I will be able to do this financially, I should have my mind made up, but I have had many rides in LT1 cars, and was VERY impressed with the torque! I honestly like the LT1 more than I like the LS1, the LS1 really wakes up at around 4k, the LT1 is just right there off the line.

Last edited by HBZ28; 12-10-2009 at 07:23 PM.

post #4 of 25 Old 12-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure you like the LT1 more because it builds up power like the L98.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-10-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_Adam View Post
I'm pretty sure you like the LT1 more because it builds up power like the L98.
What do you mean, builds up power like the L98? You mean off the line it's great, and then over 4.5k, it run kinda starts slowing down? Lol.

post #6 of 25 Old 12-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBZ28 View Post
I honestly like the LT1 more than I like the LS1, the LS1 really wakes up at around 4k, the LT1 is just right there off the line.
Except that the LS1 makes more power throughout the entire rpm-band than that of the LT1. 2k or 6k, the LS1 is putting out more power, its just a smoother delivery.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #7 of 25 Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hence why LS1 > LT1
post #8 of 25 Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
Except that the LS1 makes more power throughout the entire rpm-band than that of the LT1. 2k or 6k, the LS1 is putting out more power, its just a smoother delivery.
Call me crazy, but I do like that "jerky" feel that the LT1 and L98 give off. I want a car that shakes, a car that rattles, and throws you around you know? I'm really not that into the smooth acceleration lol. I'm looking more to build a car that looks beat to hell, but leaves everyone that doubts and makes fun of it in the rear view mirror Besides, why spend all that money on an LS1, whatever gets put in it is going to get beat to sh*t lol... 5k clutch drops, slamming gears... this is just a car to beat the hell out of and race people with

My current car is just going to be a toy to go around and show off how nice I can make a car look

Last edited by HBZ28; 12-10-2009 at 07:50 PM.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBZ28 View Post
Call me crazy, but I do like that "jerky" feel that the LT1 and L98 give off. I want a car that shakes, a car that rattles, and throws you around you know? I'm really not that into the smooth acceleration lol. I'm looking more to build a car that looks beat to hell, but leaves everyone that doubts and makes fun of it in the rear view mirror Besides, why spend all that money on an LS1, whatever gets put in it is going to get beat to sh*t lol... 5k clutch drops, slamming gears... this is just a car to beat the hell out of and race people with

My current car is just going to be a toy to go around and show off how nice I can make a car look
A few hundred dollars and you'll have a LS1 that shakes violently.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #10 of 25 Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
A few hundred dollars and you'll have a LS1 that shakes violently.
I like the sound of an LT1 better, I think they sound meaner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page