New 3rd gen project - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
3rd Generation F-Body 1982-1992 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-07-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

New 3rd gen project

Just wanted to share some pictures with everyone. These are of the new project car, all of the drivetrain and removable parts that were on my 89 will be moved over to this car. As you can see, this car has air ride on it, along with a rack and pinion conversion and a tubular front k-member. I will be removing some of the front suspension components to repaint them to possibly match the red of the Spohn components that I have to install. Check it out and let me know what you all think.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91Z28_01.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	6268   Click image for larger version

Name:	91Z28_02.jpg
Views:	4807
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	6269   Click image for larger version

Name:	91Z28_03.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	6270   Click image for larger version

Name:	91Z28_04.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	6271   Click image for larger version

Name:	91Z28_05.jpg
Views:	1132
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	6272  

Name:	91Z28_06.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	6273   Click image for larger version

Name:	91Z28_07.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	6274   Click image for larger version

Name:	91Z28_08.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	6275   Click image for larger version

Name:	91Z28_09.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	6276   Click image for larger version

Name:	91Z28_10.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	6277  

Name:	91Z28_12.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	6278  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-14-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28 View Post
Just wanted to share some pictures with everyone. These are of the new project car, all of the drivetrain and removable parts that were on my 89 will be moved over to this car. As you can see, this car has air ride on it, along with a rack and pinion conversion and a tubular front k-member. I will be removing some of the front suspension components to repaint them to possibly match the red of the Spohn components that I have to install. Check it out and let me know what you all think.

David
How did the previous owner deal with the lack of steering angle thats typical with R&P conversions? I've yet to see a good conversion, though I'd do it because of the road feel benefits from a rack over a steering box. I'm told the 600 series rb steering boxes found in nascar are very good though compared to what was OE on thirdgens. I'll probably go with one of those because its a street driven car. It saw 7000 miles this year and I only started driving it in May.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

I drove the car two and a half years ago before he took to the paint shop. In all honesty it has a smaller turning radius than my stock steering box 89 has, and true the feedback you get is a lot better than a stock unit. I am considering putting a thunderbird power r&p unit in it, but will have to modify the k-member to accept it. I know that there are spacers inserted between the ends of the rack and and spindles to help correct this, but also come into play for the air ride installed on the car so that there aren't any problems when the car is raised to ride height, or higher to go over taller than normal speed bumps. Not sure if this answered your question. Still have a lot of disassembling to do and changes that I am planning. I am hoping to get the car pushed out of the garage tomorrow to get some better pictures, along with the remainder of the interior to finish cleaning and start installing the dynamat.

David

post #4 of 6 Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Capt Bob-Supporting Membr

Garage
So How did your project turn out? Any updates.

Lionel Trains- "A lifetime of Happiness"

New to computers and forums, but a Camaro and Firebird enthusiast/owner for 30 years.

68 RS/SS 4spd A/C Convert-USA FUN, Owned since 1978.
92 Z28 25th Anniversary 350-RSKY BZ,
91 Z28 Convertible-OPENZ (gone but not forgotten)
02 Blackbird WS-6 Convertible- SR-71
<<<< Yes, click- View My FQuick Garage
post #5 of 6 Old 05-29-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 RS/SS Ragtop View Post
So How did your project turn out? Any updates.
Very slow progress, just moved the car up to my house this weekend to begin putting it back together to make sure I have everything before body and paint work begins. Made my final decision on paint colors, going with 2009 BMW Interlagos Blue Metallic with Silver Ice Metallic Rally Stripes. Engine and T-56 trans are ready to go back in. Working full time and school full time to finish my Bachelors degree doesn't leave a whole lot of time for much else. But I have a two week break that I will be able to devote quite a good amount of time to the reassembly this coming month. Still working on getting the remainder of the air lines laid out for the air ride suspension, brake and fuel lines too. Still hoping to have it ready before November for one of the last big car shows of the season.

David
post #6 of 6 Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 AM
Capt Bob-Supporting Membr

Garage
I understand the challenges, it has taken me a few years to redo my 68. Good grades in school should be your top priority.

I did a project like this (The Hugger Orange car in my sig) a few years ago when my 92 got wrecked and I had a 91-2 shell from a Goodwill auction, but I also had a insurance check to propel the project. The colors you chose sound great should be a sharp car and top performer.

I have over 200 picture of my 92 build, if any might help, feel free to hit the link below. I will say the best thing for me was to have friends with 3rdGens come by so I could figure out what went where.

Bob

Garages > 68_RS_SS_Ragtop's 1992 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - FQuick.com

Lionel Trains- "A lifetime of Happiness"

New to computers and forums, but a Camaro and Firebird enthusiast/owner for 30 years.

68 RS/SS 4spd A/C Convert-USA FUN, Owned since 1978.
92 Z28 25th Anniversary 350-RSKY BZ,
91 Z28 Convertible-OPENZ (gone but not forgotten)
02 Blackbird WS-6 Convertible- SR-71
<<<< Yes, click- View My FQuick Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page