What would you do... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
3rd Generation F-Body 1982-1992 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

View Poll Results: What engine would you use?
Keep the 406 setup. 11 34.38%
LS3. 3 9.38%
LS3 w/ supercharger. 8 25.00%
LS7. 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

What would you do...

So I have been working on my 3rd gen for quite some time now. A lot of things have changed on the car as in suspension, engine and transmission. Currently I have replaced the original 305 and 700R4 with a 406 and T-56. Since the new Camaro has come out I have been doing alot of thinking and would like some input from you guys. I have been debating selling my engine and doing an LS swap. With being back to work again and having some disposable income I am looking at either an LS3 or possibly stepping up to an LS7. The T-56 will be staying in the car, but the 10 bolt rear will be coming out (not sure if I will be going to a 12 bolt or 9" yet).

Here is what I am thinking, and where I need the most advice / help. I can buy both motors from GM as drop in crate engines. The LS3 I can go the E-rod route which would give me 430 hp at the crank. Or go with the LS7 and get 505 hp at the crank. Of course ultimately I want to put a supercharger on the engine and have found numerous sources for the LS3 with impressive power numbers. And would probably be more than sufficient for what I am wanting to do. But out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are any supercharger kits for the LS7? Is it possible to do this with the LS7? If I can go this route what upgrades / changes would I need to make to the engines to survive? From reading on the GMPP website, both engines use hypereutectic pistons, which would or should be replaced to forged pistons for the supercharger.

Any help, advice, or links to information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

I'd do neither.

Is it necessary to get a GM crate motor? You could build a nice LS1/LS2 for boost for much less than a new LS3 crate. A LS7 crate is even more ridiculously priced (and it's dry sump; not a bad thing, just more modifications to be made during the install).

If you know what sort of numbers you looking to acheive, you can then decide on the correct engine for the application. N/A 402 LS2's are making over 500rwhp.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28

Last edited by demonspeed; 06-30-2010 at 11:02 AM.
post #3 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

^^^^^^^^^ I agree.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

post #4 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 AM

I agree as well, but I love the 406 and T56 combo that you have already. What is wrong with it? Not enough power? What heads are your running? What induction; cam?

I would first DEFINITELY sink some money into a nice rear-end and some WELD in sub-frame connectors.

Cheers~

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

buy a LSX 454 block and build a motor around that!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #6 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
buy a LSX 454 block and build a motor around that!
That would assume that the OP has a money tree in his yard. Then again, he may since he's considering crate motors.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #7 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Hey everybody, thanks for the responses.

Demonspeed: The reasoning behind using a crate motor versus having one built locally comes down to not trusting people to do it right. I went through three machine shops getting the 406 that I currently have done. Crate engine comes complete, ready to drop in and a warranty. Although the warranty would be nullified once the forced induction went on. I could probably source a shop out of state to get a good foundation, but am looking at shipping and completing the engine once it is here. Also, just thinking it would be cool to have the same engine in a 3rd gen as the 5th gen is all. Where as the LS7 would just freak people out in a 3rd gen and truly a conversation piece at cruises and shows.

54inches: My current configuration is as follows,
Factory GM 400 sb (509 casting).
Ohio Crankshaft internally balanced forged rotating assembly including SRP forged flat top pistons with a -16cc dish, forged Eagle 6" H-beam rods, 4340 lightened and knife edged crankshaft.
Melling high volume standard pressure oil pump.
Dart Iron Eagle Platinum 215cc heads with 64cc chambers, 2.055" intake 1.60" exhaust valves.
Comp Cams 305H Magnum Hydraulic Flat Tappet camshaft with 1.6 Ultra Gold rockers and stud girdle.
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake.
Holley 750cfm double pumper with the Proform center section, no choke.
The T-56 I purchased from a friend and had upgraded the shift forks and output shaft, but not 100% for sure what all was done to it. I did put a Hayes Aluminum flywheel, Spec ceramic clutch.
There really isn't much left in the suspension to do, all or the factory stamped suspension components have been replaced with Spohn tubular pieces: adjustable LCA's, adjustable panhard, adjustable crossmember mount torque arm, weld in subframe connectors, tubular front k-member and rack and pinion steering.
When I had the car on the dyno I was able to rear 492 HP and 518 TQ at the rear wheels.

Unfortunately no money tree.

David
post #8 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 PM

*****, I say let her eat. Sounds like you have a great setup.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #9 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Seeing as how you're getting 500+ rwtq out of your current setup, I'd say keep it. Although, that LS3 E-Rod is hard to pass up if you want emissions legality and 400+hp out of the box with the sky being the limit for mods.

All depends on what you want to do with the car. Are you looking at AX, Drag, DD, a combination of them, or all of the above?

FWIW, an LS7 is $15k new and requires the GMPP Controller kit and thats an additional $1500.

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR

Last edited by 89RS; 06-30-2010 at 08:24 PM.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Put a Vortech Supercharger on it and call it done......

2011 White Convertible 1LT IOM, Full JDM Colorshift Halo upgrade, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors and Engine cover, Pace Setter Cat Back Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21x9.5 and 21X8.5 Full Custom Cromed 21" GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full IOM dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page