Modern Camaro Forums banner

LS9 Supercharger Upgrade for ls3

8K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Chapel 
#1 ·
Gm sells the LS9 supercharger upgrade for the ls3 camaro. The supercharger is in stock but you need the accessories drive belt system as well but it is now discontinued...does anyone know why? And is there an aftermarket drive system?

#4 ·
I don't know all the specifics of this kit and what it includes. But I would look into whether or not a warranty is offered. Most aftermarket companies are offering at least a 36month/3 year powertrain warranty if you have the kit installed at a qualified shop. If the GM kit does nothing but void your warranty then I would be very cautious or avoid it altogether..

#13 ·
It definitely won't fit on a Ford without serious modification, lol. Just kidding. Seriously tho, if you are dead set on getting this system then you will probably end up waiting a while to find all the pieces you need. And then you will need tuning. It will be a long, tedious, and probably expensive process but it may be worth it to you to see it through. Or you could just spend less money and buy an aftermarket system. Most of the vendors these days offer systems with install, tuning, and warranty for around $7,000...maybe even less than that with group buys and specials. Those systems will make more power, have more potential, and probably be more trustworthy than what you're currently trying to do.

As far as Ford...you won't be able to do what a similar build with the Mustang. I'm not talking about putting a ZL-1 blower on a Coyote engine. I'm talking about the GT-500 differences with the Coyote...just in case you were thinking about that as your reason for going to Ford. The GT-500 blower will not fit on a Coyote engine without a special lower intake. And I'm not sure if there is any factory blower that will fit on the Coyote. Maybe a Termi Cobra can be made to fit. Either way, that process with all the parts and install and tuning will put you in the exact same position you are in now. Again I don't know if this is your plan, I'm just putting it out there.

So it's up to you obviously. Maybe you should look for a fully dressed ZL-1/CTS-V (or GT-500 if you convert over to Ford) take-out engine. You can probably find one complete with trans and ECU ready for install in the neighborhood of around $10,000. After shipping and install you will probably have spent a great deal more than if you had just bought an original ZL-1. And you'll still be making the same numbers as a stock one. I'm not trying to discourage you, I just think you should know everything that will be involved in this project. Good luck either way. I'll keep my eyes open for you. I'll holla if I find anything...

#15 ·
I'm not sure. One guy had a twin turbo system on a stock bottom end pushing 10 lbs of boost and making 700 RWHP. I think he had a custom cam and ported heads and a Fast intake manifold. I don't know how long that engine would last but it is remarkable to say the least. I see most people sticking in the 600-650 RWHP range with no problems. Thats with headers and a cam. I would guess most top mount kits come with 6-8 lbs and centri kits about 8 lbs. And at that boost you're probably looking at about 550 RWHP. Anything over 10 lbs is pushing it.

#17 ·
Forgive me for Im sure this is the incorrect thread to post this question in but Im new here and to forums and a new Camaro SS L99 owner...I want to install a cam and supercharger on my 2012 Camaro SS L99 without sacrificing dependability. I want an aggressive cam with street manners and Id like to get 600 rwhp...Right now I just have cold inductions cold air intake, Borla atak cat back exhaust and a max power tuner..Can I get some help here? Suggestions on compatible supercharger vs. cam..I like the Edelbrock supercharger for the price..would anyone have any suggestions as far as other engine components that I would have to replace or upgrade due to this new supercharger and cam?

#18 ·
The way I see it, you lose dependability with the first mod you do. And the more extensive mods, the more dependability goes out the window. Cams are an extensive mod. So you have to figure that the possibility of problems will definitely be there. With that I will say that aggressive cams are somewhat dependable. However driveability is sacrificed. The more aggressive you go the more stall you will need and you may have idle, deceleration, or other issues. If you are planning a cam swap AND a blower then your best bet is to stick with a mild cam instead. You should easily make your desired hp with a mild cam, LT headers, and a blower. If you plan to stay in the 600 hp range then you will need to invest in an aftermarket upgraded fuel pump. The stock fuel pump is good for up to about 550 hp I think. But I wouldn't trust it with even that much. And you will probably need bigger injectors than the supercharger kit will come with.

Tuning is all-important. You have to make sure you have a good tuner. One problem, just one, will cause irreparable damage to your engine. And sometimes then engine might seem fine. But after a short time it will surely fail. So make sure the tuner does everything correct and safe. It's better to leave some power on the table and have a safe reliable combination than to try to squeeze out every drop and end up with a time bomb.

#22 ·
There is nothing unfortunate about that, it's a good thing. After all, you don't just want anything going in your car, and you don't just want anyone working on it either. Did you get a chance to check out that link I sent you?

#24 ·
Some kid over on Camaro5 has an LAS supercharger for sale for $1200. I just thought you might be interested. You might even be able to talk him down a bit. It is just the supercharger by itself. If you get it, then you might be able to get a kit from GM with all the other components to bolt it on. Check it out. Its over in the members classified section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.