Modern Camaro Forums banner

Why does everyone want to race me?

7K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  Midnighter 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems that each and everyday that I drive my Camaro, I run into someone that desires to challenge me. I don't drive like a jerk and I don't eyeball everyone that I sit next to at a stop light, but I can't believe the number of people that wish to tangle with the 323 HP V6 beast that I ride around in.

As a for instance, Im coming home from work the other day just driving listening to my music and out of nowhere I spot a Black dot in my rear view mirror and it is getting bigger and bigger. Well a little bit down the road this Black dot turns out to be 2 teens..(I'd say 16-20) driving a Nissan 350z. My first thought of course is "Hmm, out driving Daddy's car huh)? They literally pulled up right next to me and started giving me the eyeball. I looked back at them and laughed. As much as I wanted to hit the gas, I knew deep inside that if I were to take part in their plan, it would be me getting a ticket. We were in a 65 mph zone and a 55 mph zone was fast approaching and I was already running about 70+.

The bottom line to this little story that Im sure we all share is that there seems to be a lot of envy from those who do not possess the fine rides that we do!

#2 ·
Maybe they just wanted a closer/better l@@k... :D

Funny thing is, I had more of what you are talking about with my 3rd Gen RX7 than with the Camaro. I get revved at a lot by the muscle car crowd but think that is more of a show of respect and saying "Hey!".... :dunno:

#3 ·
I get very little of this in my Camaro. I get A LOT of this in my cavalier.

Maybe because my cavalier is a lot louder than my camaro? :lol:

#5 ·
I LOVE when folks do this when I'm driving my V6 or my SS.

I'll wait till the next light. Rev my engine with them, watch them take off and then drive casually by as they're being pulled over. :thumbsup:

Too old for street racing.

#6 ·
I never get messed with in the camaro. Before I traded in my 2004 gto I use to get messed with every day. Maybe because I had headers and a bunch of work done to it so it was loud and mean. It was always kids and I wouldn't race them anyways. I take it as everyone knows the camaro is bad ass so they leave me alone:lol:

#7 ·
I think some people are just looking for a little excitement on an otherwise boring and mundane commute. I mean look out there. Same streets, same traffic light patterns, a sea of beige and silver sedans everywhere...along comes a Camaro!! Yea, I don't think people are doing that to be jerks. My best friend has a G35 sedan. He's an enthusiast...he will race anything from a drop or a roll, haha!! And I've had people in everything from pick-ups to sports bikes try to race me. Win or lose usually there's a mutual smile and a thumbs up afterwards. And sometimes, people don't even wanna race, they just wanna see you take off or hear your exhaust or see you spin 2nd!! It's all fun and exciting!!

#9 ·
sometimes I get similar vroom vrooms from the but trumpet hondas.... I just give them a little muscle noise, laugh at them... then ignore.... it's not worth the trouble of "racing" them.... They know I look better, they know I sound better, and I know I'm faster....

#10 ·
I usually get the opposite. No matter how slow I'm going I get other sports cars lagging behind me,maybe fearing that if they pass me they will entice a race. Cherrybomb with headers do sound pretty mean though .lol I did have a Prius rev up and pass me the other day. They were all laughing at the driver which in turn made me laugh too.

#11 ·
I'm always getting my butt kicked by cars I didn't know I was racing. [URL="
[/URL] Between my open cut-outs, my ridiculously loud stereo and my general lack of interest in the driver sitting next to me...I never notice when I'm being revved on...:rolleyes:...until they lay a scratch in the intersection...lol. They always practically stop afterwards to revel in their awesomeness...or wonder WTF...and that's when I roll by cracking my a$$ up and give them a [URL="
[/URL]

#12 ·
I haven't really experienced it yet. There's a ton of Camaro's around here. Large Air Force base, large number of sports cars. I have gotten a few crappy civics and other cars that rev their motors to act like they're something special but they're not worth my time or my gas. Hell the tread on my F1 tires for that matter.

#13 ·
I get all the time in my Camaro, In my Honda never. Just ignore them

#15 ·
:thumbsup:Great advice. IGNORE THEM. Street racing is for morons.:5go:

#14 ·
My favorite is the mustang boys. just last weekend, I had my top down and two of my good friends in the rear seats for their first ride in a new Camaro . Well im going north in a single lane and a mustang with loud exhaust just had to hit the gas as we passed each other in oppisit lanes. I just laughed and said, not skeeterd. I get that same senero all the time from the ford boys in their mustangs cause I happed to live in ford country. Its the pesky bmw-m type drivers that make me loose my cool,LOL.

#16 ·
I haven't had the problem yet, I think most people recognize my car from the movie. They blow their horn when stopped at a light I even had one guy stick his cell out of his window and asked if he could take a picture I just nodded yes he gave me a thumbs up and I went on. Pretty cool :cool:

#18 ·
My game is not street racing. Too dangerous and too ticketous. My major fun is blowing off drivers that follow too closely on my favorite highway interchange. The speed limit going into the turn is 55 and the turn's recommended speed is 30. It's a 270 degree, downward sloping interchange. I downshift to 3rd, sometimes to second, and enter the turn at 45, accelerate slowly to 50 and watch the fun in the rear view mirror as the car behind me high sides the turn and the front end dips due to extreme braking. Beemer drivers are generally suckered by this move. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

#19 ·
I did that to my co-worker when he had his Honda Quaalude. He could NOT hang in the corner. I ran it up to highway speed before I hit the curve and held it there. Not one squeak or complaint from my Camaro through the turn. He crabbed sideways, tires rolling outside, lots of body roll coming through the turn and had to back off.

#21 · (Edited)
hell the fun part is handing them their ass when they want to race, makes me wish I had an SS sometimes to embarrass them even more,, sometimes if I know the other car is a lot faster then I wont even bother,, and sometimes I'll go just to see what happens,, but you can never get the really cool cars to race, the vipers & vettes and such.. and even mustangs and usually driven by women & old men as well,,

once is enough though, It gets on my nerves when they want to run a 2nd time,,

but yeah it's funny, some of these civic SI's will pull up to you to race and you don't even realize it until they start going about 50 in a 45 zone...

the babies crying about street racing, why the hect do you own a Camaro then? I mean grow up.. and all these stupid traffic enforcement cops are nothing but the 5th grade hall monitors that told you no running in the hall, that's all they are, little boys who suck up to the authority.. I'm sick of the nanny state crap. grow up, I don't need some loser who never worked a day in their life telling me how to drive.

#22 ·
The site has a policy of not advocating street racing. It is Illegal and people need to think about what they post on the internet. People posting about speeding and illegal racing may risk fines, confiscation of their cars, or jail time. Not to mention during one of these street races may risk injury or death to yourself or others.

Take it to the track and be safe.

#25 ·
I just look @ them and laugh when they rev on me. It's fun seeing them get pissed off.
I have nothing to prove, and have more brains than that.

#27 ·
Wrong site.

#28 ·
I had some noodlehead in an F150 try to impress me with his modified exhaust when he swung around me as I was making a right turn. He floored the gas, made a lot of noise, but didn't go anywhere near as fast as his truck made it sound. I just laughed as I finished my turn. No one else has tried to race me yet, and if/when I feel the need to open up the Camaro, I will have a buddy get me into the track near my house. It looks like a fun track to putt around on. Harris Hill Raceway - Motorsports Clubs, Driving School, HPDE, and Corporate Events

#29 · (Edited)
well got permantly banned on C5 again

ah this is great man,, Story that just happened today, I should make a thread on it,,

was coming home, guy in a gorgeous freshly painted ocean blue 90's LT1 vette followed me off the interstate, he starts running up on my ass so I start fooling around about, we go into this long sharp turn that's probably speed rated for about 30 mph, I'm doing 56 pushing it pretty hard and he's right on my ass,,, we come out of the turn doping about 56, there are banks on the side of the road, and I don't even know how he did it,, but next thing I see in my rear view is he goes completely sideways, his rear end hits the bank on the right side of the road, then that spins him around and his front end goes into the bank, dirt flying everywhere and smoke off the tires,, pretty wild.,..

and for the record, we weren't racing,, so all the nannies keep it to yourself,, no one wants to hear the whining,, so grow up.

#30 ·
:eek:
ah this is great man,, Story that just happened today, I should make a thread on it,,

was coming home, guy in a gorgeous freshly painted ocean blue 90's LT1 vette followed me off the interstate, he starts running up on my ass so I start fooling around about, we go into this long sharp turn that's probably speed rated for about 30 mph, I'm doing 56 pushing it pretty hard and he's right on my ass,,, we come out of the turn doping about 56, there are banks on the side of the road, and I don't even know how he did it,, but next thing I see in my rear view is he goes completely sideways, his rear end hits the bank on the right side of the road, then that spins him around and his front end goes into the bank, dirt flying everywhere and smoke off the tires,, pretty wild.,..

and for the record, we weren't racing,, so all the nannies keep it to yourself,, no one wants to hear the whining,, so grow up.
:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.