Bad optispark installation Help!! 95 firebird lt-1 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
4th Generation F-Body 1993-2002 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Bad optispark installation Help!! 95 firebird lt-1

Thanks everyone for your previouse help and replies on my earlier threads. I attempeted to replace my optispark and due to inexperiance i did not carefully note the position of my crank snout for TDC. My optispark is the later model with the pin sticking out of the back. Basically when i took the distributor off i didnt pay attention to the positioning of anything and when it came time to put it back on i made sure it was in the right groove and tightened it up. I've since tried starting the car up and have herd no spark but the motor will turn. I read in my Haynes manual that the snout has a groove (which it does) that matches up to the center groove on the timing cover. i've tried to line these two up and when i check for TDC (I checked TDC by sticking a screw driver in spark plug one to feel for the piston-- please advise if this is the wrong way to check for TDC) the piston didnt seem to be at the top ? Please help ? and also should i here some type of spark or does TDC have to be exactly on point to get that? this is an lt-1 motor on a firebird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM

The correct way would be to observe the valves on the #1 cylinder. Or find the timing mark on the balancer. The problem with the balancer mark is that the LT1 NEVER had a slot/keyway in the hub to keep it from moving so this MAY NOT be the most accurate. I would pull the driver side valve cover off and rotate the engine by hand. Turn the engine over until you see the number one cylinder exhaust valve rocker arm JUST START to move from the closed position to open. You may need to turn the motor over a couple of times to reach this point, but do not turn any further. This should be TDC.

Please dont take this the wrong way, but grab a book from autozone this will help you out. The HAYNES manual is NOT the best but it does have lots of useful information. Also the internet is the greatest resource, you could probably find something by google if you needed more. GOOD LUCK!

www.lackomotorsports.com
2001 Dodge Cummins
1997 Z28 SS , 1996 Z28, 1993 Z28 all Drag Cars
1985 Monte SS 48,000 original miles
2003 Trailblazer (wifes vehicle)
Not enough lines to list all my crap and projects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page