carbed small block conversion - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
4th Generation F-Body 1993-2002 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-26-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

carbed small block conversion

Im swapping the lt1 to a carbed 400sbc. Does anyone know anything about this kind of swap and if so what do i need to modify? The distributor seems like it would be just about impossible to get to and the carb and air cleaner might stick to high. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba3729 View Post
Im swapping the lt1 to a carbed 400sbc. Does anyone know anything about this kind of swap and if so what do i need to modify? The distributor seems like it would be just about impossible to get to and the carb and air cleaner might stick to high. thanks
MSD makes a low profile distributor and you can get a drop-base air filter, not sure how makes it, maybe mr. gasket. Not sure if they'll work, but worth looking into. You could always get a cowl-hood to give you plenty of air filter clearance.

Personally, I've had enough of carbs, I'd keep the LT1...but that's just me.

good luck and welcome to the site.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-02-2009, 05:13 AM

That is correct the standard distributor cap will hit. As stated above the low profile distributor cap (crab cap) is made by many manufacturers. It does provide more room. But if you would need to pull the distributor you will have to do some cutting!! The air cleaner is also an issue as stated above. You can notch the cowl and run a cowl induction hood for added clearance. The other issue is the fuel system. The LT1 fuel system is designed for 41-45 PSI of fuel pressure. So that intank pump and fuel lines will have to go! You will only need aprox 6-7 PSI of fuel pressure. So a holley blue and some fuel lines and fittings. If you are going to street drive this car then you can adapt to the stock fuel tank for suction. Its not a bad swap, Id keep the LT1 for many reasons!!! Good Luck on your project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page