94 Z28 Wont Start - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
4th Generation F-Body 1993-2002 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

94 Z28 Wont Start

I have a 97 Camaro v6 Body with a 94 Camaro Z28 motor. It has been driving fine for the past few months, but yesterday I drove to a friend's house and when I left I made it about a mile down the road and it started bogging down kind of sputtering and then cut off. My buddy came to pick me up and said he thought it may be the MAF sensor. Well I pulled the air filter off so just the MAF sensor was showing and tried cranking it back up. It fired up, idled rough, I was able to slowly drive it back to his house never could give it much throttle cuz it started to cut off whenever I did. Got back to his house and cut it off. Now it wont start at all. I tried turning it over and spraying a little starter fluid in the intake and it started and would stay running as long as you held the throttle about 3000 rpms. As soon as I let off the throttle it dies. I went to Autozone bought a new MAF sensor and hooked it up. Still wont start. I'm lost now.

Note- When I had the engine swap done they didn't hook up the wiring to the OBD plug correct so I can't scan any of the codes.
Its had the check engine light on ever since I had the swap done. Its kinda weird though cuz it will stay on when I crank the engine, but when I put it in drive and sit for a min, say like at a red light, the check engine light cuts off and the electric fans cut off. But as soon as I take off, the light comes back on and the fans come back on. Its also weird that the electric fans cut on as soon as you crank the engine up no matter the temperature and they stay on all the time other than when you stop at a red light.

Heres a few suggestions people made:
1. MAF Sensor
2. Throttle Position Sensor
3. Ignition Coil (just replaced)
4. Fuel Filter/Fuel Pump (havent changed fuel filter since I had v6 in it)

Other notes- I almost always run 89 gas.
I just got the a/c hooked up for the first time last week which I think started this whole problem. I put a new compressor on and had it charged.
Also the last time I drove it, it rained bad which leads me to think something got wet like a sensor.
Dont think its the OPTI cuz if I spray starter fluid in there it runs and continues running as long as RPMs are high.
I'm thinking something controlling idling. I may try replacing TPS today.

Any help Please love this car but would love to see it burn haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

The oxygen sensor might be bad, the reason for the check engine light.

Maybe the starter is bad.

Current: 00 z28 M6 T-tops
Past: 74 Stingray Vette, 99 Silverado 2500, 01 SS A4 T-tops, 95 z28 A4 T-tops, 96 v6 A4 T-tops (project), 97 v6 A4
RIP: 95 z28 M6
post #3 of 4 Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 AM

when will people learn,it could be a million different things,unless you love throwing money away in the hope you may getlucky and replace the bad part do yourself a favor and pay a real tech to diagnose it,everyone else is just throwing a guess at it,or buy a dart board with all the parts of a car on it and just throw a dart at the board,just as good as guessing

post #4 of 4 Old 06-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with the check engine light and fans, I will know what is wrong with mine tomorrow.

But getting it diagnosed is the best bet.

Current: 00 z28 M6 T-tops
Past: 74 Stingray Vette, 99 Silverado 2500, 01 SS A4 T-tops, 95 z28 A4 T-tops, 96 v6 A4 T-tops (project), 97 v6 A4
RIP: 95 z28 M6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page