"ABS INOP" light - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
4th Generation F-Body 1993-2002 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

"ABS INOP" light

Hi, I've got a question for anyone who cares to help or comment about. Thanks in advance!

Alright here goes. I have a 99 z28 a4.

About a month ago I replaced my fuel pump with a new one because my old one died on me. I did all the work myself at my mechanics shop with his directions of what to do, parts to take off, etc.

I took off the rear crossmembers, took off a heat shield that is between the muffler and the gas tank, unplugged fuel lines from the gas tank, cut off my muffler and took my gas tank off.

When the fuel pump came in, I put it in the tank and re-assembled everything I took off except for the muffler.

It runs just fine now and all, but ever since I've re-assembled everything and have been driving it, my "ABS INOP" light on my dash has been on. I have no idea why either. My brakes seem to work just fine as before.

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions as to what I could have possibly unknowingly done to cause this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

They may work fine but still could be worn. same thing happened to my 96 and we replaced the pads with it having wear and it is not there anymore.

Current: 00 z28 M6 T-tops
Past: 74 Stingray Vette, 99 Silverado 2500, 01 SS A4 T-tops, 95 z28 A4 T-tops, 96 v6 A4 T-tops (project), 97 v6 A4
RIP: 95 z28 M6
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up!

post #4 of 7 Old 07-31-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, the "ABS INOP" light is still on and I have no idea why.

I took it to a local speed shop about a week ago to see if they had something to hook up to my car and tell me something more specific than the obvious, my "ABS INOP" light being on. His scanner pulled up the code and said/showed a bad sensor/plug in the drivers side rear of my car.

He(the guy who was scanning my car) said the easiest thing to do would be to take off the rear drivers side tire and look to see if their were any loose plugs, sensors or anything. Well, I did that, took the drivers side rear tire off and poked around and crawled around under the rear of my car and did not see any loose plugs or sensors or anything. Everything was plugged up and secure.

I'm stumped as to why it's on.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Could be a bad sensor

Current: 00 z28 M6 T-tops
Past: 74 Stingray Vette, 99 Silverado 2500, 01 SS A4 T-tops, 95 z28 A4 T-tops, 96 v6 A4 T-tops (project), 97 v6 A4
RIP: 95 z28 M6
post #6 of 7 Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 PM

Not exactly sure if the Camaro is a four channel ABS system or 3, If it is three the abs sensor is connected to the rear end near the pinion end. You will see a connector that should be easy to find. I would double check to make sure the sensor wire is still properly plugged.
If it is Four channel you will have two sensors located somewhere near the axle flanges (one on each end of rear end) or near the disc brakes. I would check for proper connections on those if it four channel. Just giving the easy stuff to check..
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2009, 05:34 PM

I believe the 99 is 3 channel. It's probably the sensor. But your reluctor ring could be damaged too. IF that's not reading properly then the light would come on. Mine did that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page