Need some more help guys - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
4th Generation F-Body 1993-2002 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Need some more help guys

Hey everyone. Got another issue I would really like some help with. My fourth gen, 3.4 L V-6, has had some overheating issues. I took it to my mechanic and he said it might be an issue with radiator. Turns out the people I had bought the car from had a radiator leak and used, what I'm guessing, Bars stop leak in it to try and fix it. He replaced the radiator and flushed the cooling system. I went and got my car today and it ran no problems, no overheating. I was driving it for a little while, when out of the blue, it began to overheat again. The service engine soon light even went off. I parked it and let it rest for a little while and when I restarted it the light was off and it didnt overheat until about 20 minutes later. Any ideas.

R.I.P. Michael Jackson, King of Pop. You shaped music into everything it has become. Sing for the angels now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

could be some air stuck in the system...need to purge it. Run it w/ the radiator cap off...let it heat up, air should burp out. Top it off w/ coolant or water...you should be good to go. If it's still a problem, the thermostat could be sticking.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Okay, because it seemed to be running good, but when I see it redlining, I'm inclined to give it a rest. My mechanic told me that it still had air in the system.

R.I.P. Michael Jackson, King of Pop. You shaped music into everything it has become. Sing for the angels now.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroMan1989 View Post
but when I see it redlining, I'm inclined to give it a rest.

mmmm....yeah! and crank the heat, that will help cool it off a little.

Quote:
My mechanic told me that it still had air in the system.
sounds like a smart man although he SHOULD have purged it.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
post #5 of 10 Old 01-16-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Heat isn't working right, I think the heater core may be up. Could that have something to do with it? And when you say run it with the cap off, do you mean to take the cap off first then start it? Because you already know what happens when the cap is taken off with the engine running or just turned off. I really don't like burns too much. lol

post #6 of 10 Old 01-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Heat isn't working right, I think the heater core may be up. Could that have something to do with it? And when you say run it with the cap off, do you mean to take the cap off first then start it? Because you already know what happens when the cap is taken off with the engine running or just turned off. I really don't like burns too much. lol
If your heat isn't working right (but the fan does blow), sounds like your thermostat could be acting up....I would have swapped it when everything was drained.

As for purging...with the engine COLD, take off the cap...let it run and heat up to operating temp, when the thermostat opens (if it's working), air will "burp" out.

Quote:
post #7 of 10 Old 01-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think a plugged heater core would cause anything to overheat. The coolant would just bypass the core.

I also don't believe that the stop leak would cause the car to overheat. I used it in my 89 when the heater started to leak, and it sealed the leak perfectly without causing anything to overheat.

I would investigate the thermostat, and also make sure your fan(s) are turning on.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #8 of 10 Old 01-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
You need to have your tech check for leaking head gaskets. They can fail in a way that allows exhaust gases to enter the cooling jackets and cause overheating and usually over-pressurization. There is a tool that uses a chemical and plugs into the radiator filler neck that detects exhaust gases. It looks like a bong! The one I had started out blue in color and would go green when gases were detected....

Good luck.

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #9 of 10 Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 PM

Sounds like it needs to be purged. Air trapped under the thermostat which will not open/close it like normal (air can't push the spring completely). I can't remember it the v6's had a valve in the thermostat housing but you can do it from the temp sender on the driver side head. It will be under the thermostat (not location wise as it's located on the side of the head ) and should let all the air out under the thermostat. Start it, let it get warm. Then slowly loosen it to let out the steam while a buddy keeps the engine running at 2000 rpm's. Do this till nothing but coolant comes out. Had to do this on a couple V6 Camaro's. Air pockets are a PITA and have symptoms resembling alot of different other problems. Undoing the radiator cap will not release the air as it gets trapped under the thermostat.

If the thermostat wasn't changed when it was drained there's also a probable co-culprit like demonspeed mentioned. They are notorious for conking out when the system gets drained and I too would have changed it if I drained the system. I'd change the thermostat then do the bleed like I mentioned first. If the problem still persists then go with the above as some of the passages may have become clogged with the stop leak mechanic in a bottle crap. Start small and cheap before you go into the bigger more expensive junk.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #10 of 10 Old 01-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like you have all the answers you need here.. Good Luck.

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page