1996 Firebird Formula Tranny? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
4th Generation F-Body 1993-2002 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

1996 Firebird Formula Tranny?

well i just bought a 96 firebird formula.... and am in love. I bought the car from a friend for 550. But there is a little trouble with the tranny. When i go to shift is a little delaid the shifts really had and make a horrible sound. So i think i need to get it rebuilt. Has anyone tried this them selves or would i be better off taking it and getting it done. I have never done a tranny before but have done just about everything else. Also if anyone has a tranny they would like to sell or knows a great place to get one that would be nice. Thanks. oh and here is a pic of the car the 2 days after i drove it home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

before doing all that, did you check the fluid level? could use some more fluid. if so, use some Lucas Transmission Fix.

i thought the trans was going out in my truck, everytime i went from reverse to drive, it would stall. it was low on fluid from an apparent slow leak, so i added this stuff. no more leak and no more stalling.

if that doesn't work your only out $10 before rebuilding it.

how many miles does the car have? i had a 94 formula but totalled it before any major repairs were needed.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #3 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 03:15 PM

With the purchase price of 550 it doesn't sound like a bad deal. I'd take it to a trusted transmission shop and have the problem diagnosed first to see what the repair bill would be.

Let's see some interior pics.

post #4 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

ok well heres a few more pics.... Also i did check the level and it was full.... but doesn't look good.... not redish clear like it should be. More dark red.....? I thought that i should just go get the tranny flushed and new filter put in.... if there is a problem with it would doing this be a bad idea?

i will take some more tonight after its bath rain finally went away for the next few days
post #5 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

how many miles on it?

you should ask your friend you bought it from if he ever changed the trans oil and filter. if not, maybe there is some service record in the user manual or a receipt in the glove box.

best thing to do if you find no record is to take it to a shop an have them diagnose it, then go somewhere else and get a second opinion. if those 2 opinions are differen get a 3rd or even a 4th. you don't have to pay to get a mechanics opinion, but something like rebuilding a tranny is some serious work that should not be taken lightly.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #6 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

it has 122000 miles on it.... and my buddy never changed the tranny oil or filter in it. I will take it down to the tranny shop then and see what they think. Thanks for the help
post #7 of 31 Old 05-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappyMohawk22 View Post
I thought that i should just go get the tranny flushed and new filter put in.... if there is a problem with it would doing this be a bad idea?
It could make the problem worse. See what the shop has to say about it.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #8 of 31 Old 05-05-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

more help

ok so i have another problem that i need help with. I am not really good with newer vehicles..... like newer than the 80s. I went down to the local tire shop and had 4 new tires put on this morning. Went to leave there and got about a mile down the road. Stopped at the light and it just died and would not start back up. So i though "heck its outta gas". So i went down the road and got a gas can and put 10 gallons of gas in the car. Still nothing. Towed it home and i am not to sure what else to check. I know its not getting any spark.... well at least its not firing. If anyone has any suggestions that would be the greatest thanks.
post #9 of 31 Old 05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Check the battery?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 31 Old 05-05-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

well its turning over..... just got the battery last week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page