98-02 Camaro information and facts bible - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
4th Generation F-Body 1993-2002 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-19-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

98-02 Camaro information and facts bible

Just thought I'd throw this out there if anyone wants to learn anything about the LS1 cars. The thread below will answer anything and everything you want to know.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls...questions.html

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Good Read, thanks for this.

Only makes me want an LS1 more.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member

It's not loading for me for some reason.

But I'm thinking it may not have EVERYTHING you need to know about the 98-02 Camaros...

Here's a situation. Real or fake SS?

Let's say you stumble upon what appears to be a fairly original looking 2002 Camaro SS for sale you may be interested in buying. Has SS wheels, emblems, hood and spoiler, but a Corsa catback, aftermarket intake lid.

You open the door to check for the WU8 or SLP content sticker and find the doors have had all the stickers removed. Dang, no build sheet, Fbodfather letter or any other documentaton in the glovebox either. You get suspicious...

What are two things you can check on the spot to verify with 99% certainty the car is or is not a "genuine" SS? (hint: it's not in the interior)

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Short of calling a dealer or SLP, the only thing I could think if would be sway bars... but I'm not really sure. I'm sure if you say what it is, I'll be like "yeah, those too."

post #5 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

You could call a dealer or SLP to be absolutely sure, but we're talking something you could check right there on the spot and be reasonably sure. That's the reason I said the door stickers were removed because that's really the easiest way to check while looking at the car. Obviously a Camaro nut selling an SS will have supporting documentation and not tear off the door stickers, but I put it out like that for effect. Not everyone cares about Camaros the way we do.

I didn't think about the sway bar size difference, so that is a very good point. But if you're not sure at gaging size difference with the eyes, you'd need to know the measurement to be sure.

But the two things that people never seem to make sure to change on these "so-called" SS cars (I've seen 3 fakes so far with these issues), are:

1) the rear suspension "jounce bumper" shims that SLP installed. Peeking through the spokes of the rear wheels (easier to do if they're the ZR1 wheels) and see if there's an extra 1/4" thick piece of aluminum spacer in there. If they're not there, it's probably a fake.

2) Open the hood and give the rear hood seal a squeeze about 3" in on either side. If it crushes completely due to it being hollow, it's very likely that it is NOT an SS. The SS would have a "stiffener" installed inside the rear hood seal. I won't say what this stiffener is made of in case some unscrupulous people want to do a better job of faking one. Can't give away all the secrets (I learned this tidbid from Jeff Yachnin [SLP Engineer] and not many know this even exists).

Apparently, the stiffener was to give better support to the ram air hood and make it seal better. Whether it did that or not, I dunno. But it's there. Not sure of WHEN they started doing this, so I don't know if it started in 1998 model year or not. I do know it's supposed to be on all the 2002. Even though it's not in any official parts list.

There may be other trinkets of helpful info, but these two seem to escape the fakers out there.

post #6 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Gotcha... never knew those little things. I've heard of the jounce spacers, but I can't imagine most know what the difference is (like myself).

Interesting tidbits.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Does it say anything about it being an SS in the VIN?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

No. They were Z28 VINs with the WU8 RPO that turned them into an SS. Started by GM, finished off by SLP.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Ahh, I see. I've never owned a Camaro so I didn't know.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

It's cool. But now if you ever want an 98-02 Camaro SS, you know how not to get faked out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page