Bought a Trans Am.. need some rotors. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
4th Generation F-Body 1993-2002 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Bought a Trans Am.. need some rotors.

Dude that owned it before me didn't take all that good care of the vehicle having stored it much of it's life. As such I'm finding that I'm due asap for new rotors on all four wheels.

I'm considering drilled and slotted but I'm on a budget (under 350-400 w/ labor). Need some ideas from those who've experimented with the different kinds.

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

just buy a new set of OE rotors with some hawk brake pads, and do the work yourself. it isnt that hard of a job.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #3 of 51 Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

Auto Zone sells some FRONT p/n 55034 $44 each.

REAR p/n 55050 for $39 each. Duralast with 2 year warranty. So that's less than 165 bucks for the set plus tax and you still have 150-200 to get them installed if you don't want to do it yourself (but they're pretty easy to change).

Should get new brake pads while you're in there.

At this point, if you're getting someone else to do the work, you need to save all the bucks you can and right now, that means forgoing the fancy rotors and stick with the basics.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.

post #4 of 51 Old 06-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

have you ever bought duralast brakes?

i installed new duralast pads and rotors on my truck, they lasted a year and the rotors were chewed all the way through!

that was 6 years ago, i installed a new set from Napa with ferro-compound pads and i just now had to replace the pads and turn the rotors. 6 years and 50,000 miles was a lot better for new pads and a rotor turn than 1 year and 8,000 miles for new pads and new rotors...

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #5 of 51 Old 06-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

just keep in mind drilled and slotted rotors are really expensive (you would spend $300-400 on just the rotors) and they are one time only. once the pads wear down, you cannot resurface them.

the trick is in the brake pad for the longest pad and rotor life.

sticking with an OE comparable vented rotor with a good set of ceramic or ferro carbon pads will give you the best life and stopping power. EBC or Hawk would be the best to choose.

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #6 of 51 Old 06-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

From what I've heard about Drilled..they're mostly for show and can actually hinder braking performance..but slotted are good.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 51 Old 06-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

Be careful about which company you buy the drilled rotors from. The cheap metal tends to warp.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.....it's an experience!"

Need to contact me? layssenATaol.com
post #8 of 51 Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Don't bother with the drilled. I went with Power Slots when I did mine, but that was because I got a nice discount on them. A lot of guys liked the Brembo blanks, but you could do just fine with the nicer upgraded ones from Autozone or Napa or the like. Raybestos are fine.

As for pads, this is where you won't want to skimp (and what makes the difference). I've ran both Hawk and EBC. I prefer the Hawk. I even ran Hawk's on my Tahoe. The only negative to the performance pads are the dust, but I'm sure you'll be keeping it clean all the time.

And do the brake job yourself. It is SO easy on these cars. There are no hubs to pack, so it's just:
  1. take the cap off the brake master
  2. pull the wheels
  3. two bolts for the caliper
  4. slide the rotor off
  5. pull the pads & clip out
  6. press the piston back in the caliper by putting the old pad on the cylinder and using a C-clamp
  7. new clips and pads in caliper
  8. slide new rotor on
  9. bolt caliper back on
  10. bolt wheel back on
  11. add brake fluid if necessary and replace cap
  12. pump brake pedal until pedal is firm again (most important part!)

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #9 of 51 Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

4th gen OE rotors warp. A guy I know had brembos warp on him, too, after spending some coin on them. Cost isn't the only factor in brakes and no guarantees against warpage, but in this case cost seems to be a priority.

Autozone and Napa sells higher grade versions, but a significantly higher price, so I didn't recommend them. Duralasts have a 2 yr warranty while Napas comparable priced rotors only has 1 yr. Can't speak for trucks, but there's been several F-body folks that bought the Otterzone specials and have had no complaints.

He'll stay within budget if he gets rotors anywhere, not just Autozone, if he stays around 40 bucks per rotor and gets some decent pads. Of course, if Zabo does it himself (highly recommended), THEN spend the labor money saved on upgraded rotors.

Remember, you're spending other people's money, not your own. If I were doing it, I'd concur on springing for the extra bucks for quality stuff, but Zabo appears to be on a stricter budget. Buy the best quality you can afford.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #10 of 51 Old 06-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

I agree. At first I thought that he could get away with rotors and Hawk pads for $100, but it appears that rotors are in the $40/ea range. The Hawk pads, IIRC, are around $50.

I honestly can't imagine the rears need done. Do we know how many miles are on this car?

EDIT: 30k miles.

With that low of miles, I would probably just pull the rotors and get them turned at any local hillbilly garage. I'd even consider keeping the pads if on a budget. I certainly wouldn't bother with the rears.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28

Last edited by demonspeed; 06-29-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page