let the fun begin on my 1996 camaro v6 to v8 please help - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
4th Generation F-Body 1993-2002 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

let the fun begin on my 1996 camaro v6 to v8 please help

i picked up a 5.7 lt1 out of a caprice for a very reasonable price shortly after my heads cracked on my 3.8 v6 so now i am just going to drop the lt1 in it but this is the tricky part the lt1 came out of a 95 caprice and i have the complete setup down to the computer and harness now i havent yet put the motor in but i know it will sit in there perfectly but my problem is at the wiring harness i am completly lost as i am not an electician and the connectors in the car are different so if anyone can help me out here and get me going in the right direction please let me know you can email me too my email is [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 PM

Did the LT1 not come with a harness? I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you could just pick up a wiring harness at any junkyard.

Also, don't forget to update your struts for the added weight!

post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_swap View Post
i picked up a 5.7 lt1 out of a caprice for a very reasonable price shortly after my heads cracked on my 3.8 v6 so now i am just going to drop the lt1 in it but this is the tricky part the lt1 came out of a 95 caprice and i have the complete setup down to the computer and harness now i havent yet put the motor in but i know it will sit in there perfectly but my problem is at the wiring harness i am completly lost as i am not an electician and the connectors in the car are different so if anyone can help me out here and get me going in the right direction please let me know you can email me too my email is [email protected]
I'm doing a swap from 3.6 to 5.7lt1 right now. You will need a lot of parts from the fbody car.
wire harness: unplugs under passenger dash and the new one plugs right up.
Kmember: v6 and v8 are different
Rear end
Fuel lines from fender to engine
Trottle cable
IF using a caprice engine the ac alternator ps pump etc may be different.

This swap is much easier with a wrecked car of the same year.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress

post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Of note even the front springs of the LT1 Camaro will let the front sag and bounce a little because the Caprice LT1 is Iron headed and the Camaro LT1 is Aluminum headed. As Brandon said you really need to find a donor LT1 Fbody to get everything working correctly otherwise you will pay a fortune in harness splicing unless you are a good DIY, in which case you need wiring schematic, for V6, V8, Camaros and the caprice to make it all work.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Supporting Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
Of note even the front springs of the LT1 Camaro will let the front sag and bounce a little because the Caprice LT1 is Iron headed and the Camaro LT1 is Aluminum headed. As Brandon said you really need to find a donor LT1 Fbody to get everything working correctly otherwise you will pay a fortune in harness splicing unless you are a good DIY, in which case you need wiring schematic, for V6, V8, Camaros and the caprice to make it all work.
Good point, I forgot about the springs and I didn't even know there was an iron head LT1

Also the fuel pump is something else to look at. I am still trying to figure this out myself. The auto parts store sell the same part number for v6 or v8 for the 96 camaro, but the junk yards list these two as seperate pumps and the v8 pump is higher. They don't sell v6 pumps as v8 pumps. My guess is that the v6 and v8 pumps were different from the factory, but the aftermarket just uses one pump to cut cost of two different pumps for the same car.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Supporter of common sense

Sissys. Put a BBC in there like my buddy does

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page