Thinking about buying one... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
4th Generation F-Body 1993-2002 Camaro & Firebird Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-22-2008, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Thinking about buying one...

Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up a 4th gen a few months down the road. I was just wondering a few things about these:

1) My budget is likely going to be $5-6k. How realistic is it to find a Z28 in decent shape for that price? I might be able to stretch it slightly over that, but not by much.

2) If I get one, it'll likely be 10-15 years old, and I need it as a daily driver. Now, as far as I know the LT1/LS1 are pretty much bulletproof, but what sorts of common issues crop up in cars this age? Any particular items I'd have to get replaced soon after purchasing it?

3) I've read that with a 6MT and a light foot, these can hit 30mpg hwy with the V8. True or false? That would be fantastic for me, since the Ranger only gets 17-18 (E85).

4) Snow performance? I've seen my share of Camaros and Firebirds braving the snow here in Michigan, so I know it can be done, but that's still a concern for me. How common is it to find traction control on these, and just how much does it help?

5) Anyone looking to get rid of a 4th gen in the near future? Scotty, got any at your dealership?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 PM

Lets see:

#1 From my research, you can track down a decent one nearing 100k miles for your price range. Do a lot of shopping around. Sometimes you can find a miracle (like my new one, shown in another thread, scored it for $3200)

#2 Aside from a tune up (100k mile plugs), really the only thing is that with LT1 cars, the optispark may need to be replaced (happened on a buddies 94).

#3 No idea, I've got an auto, but I'd say she hits at least mid twenties highway.

#4 I love my traction control, a more common option on LS1 cars I've noticed. Haven't had it in the snow yet but its fine in heavy rain.

#5 Mine, not a chance, someone else, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplacki View Post
Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up a 4th gen a few months down the road. I was just wondering a few things about these:

1) My budget is likely going to be $5-6k. How realistic is it to find a Z28 in decent shape for that price? I might be able to stretch it slightly over that, but not by much.

2) If I get one, it'll likely be 10-15 years old, and I need it as a daily driver. Now, as far as I know the LT1/LS1 are pretty much bulletproof, but what sorts of common issues crop up in cars this age? Any particular items I'd have to get replaced soon after purchasing it?

3) I've read that with a 6MT and a light foot, these can hit 30mpg hwy with the V8. True or false? That would be fantastic for me, since the Ranger only gets 17-18 (E85).

4) Snow performance? I've seen my share of Camaros and Firebirds braving the snow here in Michigan, so I know it can be done, but that's still a concern for me. How common is it to find traction control on these, and just how much does it help?

5) Anyone looking to get rid of a 4th gen in the near future? Scotty, got any at your dealership?

Thanks in advance, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page